Broncos name Bo Nix as starting QB

BroncoSojia

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think much of this is hindsight though. It’s like the comps people try to make to Brady and Brees that always fall short. Brady and Brees weren’t Brady and Brees in college. It’s something that developed over time…and that’s why this idea of ceiling is just silly. They would have been called low ceiling players before they became two of the greatest ever. I love Purdy BTW. It Nix is anywhere close to that…that’s a grand slam. 

I’m saying he won’t be close to that because their skill sets are complete opposites.

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I like Purdy and understand the point you were making, but I’m not sure I agree. Nic clearly has superior physical tools, but Purdy is a much better processor with super clean mechanics, better ball placement, and played in a pro style system. Within weeks guys like Warner were advocating for him as a starter. 

If you put stock into Warner's analysis then you must be a Nix fan because Warner thought Nix was the most pro ready prospect in last year's draft.

Fact is, we shouldn't be so sure that we are right in our QB evaluations when everyone has been wrong (a lot) about who is going to be good and who is going to be a bust. When new information is presented, it's good and smart to course correct. 

Nix's detractors really dislike him for some reason so it's going to take several years of Pro Bowl-level production for them to think he's genuinely good. People guard their draft evaluations like it's their last will and testament.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, catcheryea said:

two or three weeks ago it hit me that if you asked me to assembly my own personal qb room from hell it would include exactly bo nix, jarrett stidham, and zach wilson (honorable mention tj finley). i don't know what sean payton is trying to prove but he's clearly a deeply deranged individual

And I am here for it.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

If you put stock into Warner's analysis then you must be a Nix fan because Warner thought Nix was the most pro ready prospect in last year's draft.

Fred Warner, the linebacker that played against him when Purdy was running the scout team? That’s who I was talking about 😂.

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/brock-purdy-fred-warner-trent-williams/1648696/?amp=1

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/fred-warner-brock-purdy-plays-against-the-best-defense-in-the-nfl-every-week-hell-be-fine

Fact is, we shouldn't be so sure that we are right in our QB evaluations when everyone has been wrong (a lot) about who is going to be good and who is going to be a bust. When new information is presented, it's good and smart to course correct. 

And when he does, I’ll do just that. He hasn’t done anything yet either way.

Nix's detractors really dislike him for some reason so it's going to take several years of Pro Bowl-level production for them to think he's genuinely good. People guard their draft evaluations like it's their last will and testament.

I gave a plethora of legitimate football film reasons and other precedents as to why I don’t buy him. If you want to label me as a hater with your “for some reason” jab after ignoring the laundry list of viable reasons I gave, then that’s your prerogative.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Nix’s physical tools were never a question. He was a guy who coming out was a hot mess at Auburn and thrived in Oregon yet came up short in big games. He benefited from a spread option scheme and getting the ball out quickly. The huge negatives are:

Oregon essentially asked nothing of him as a downfield or intermediate processor.

He relied heavily on RPO, screens, very simple vertical routes.

His footwork was sloppy.

He had a very difficult time going through progressions, operating off script, or knowing what to do when his primary target was taken away.

He bailed out instead of stepping into his throws when under pressure.

So yes, he absolutely can overcome those things, but if he doesn’t it won’t be a surprise.

Legitimately posted this pages ago for context on my critique of him. Apparently saying “here are his weaknesses coming in” and “he can overcome them” makes me a detractor while then a few posts later citing other examples of similar prospects and taking a wait and see approach. Never change FF.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Legitimately posted this pages ago for context on my critique of him. Apparently saying “here are his weaknesses coming in” and “he can overcome them” makes me a detractor while then a few posts later citing other examples of similar prospects and taking a wait and see approach. Never change FF.

I never watched him in college but it sounds like you watched a lot of him. I'm curious cause in his two preseason (yes I know) games, the two things that stood out most to me were his ability to go through his progressions and read the defense presnap. He also had a surprising amount of athleticism which ppl in the media underplayed, but you mentioned was one of his better traits.

He definitely has some weird footwork stuff and has trouble setting his base when there's pressure. Haven't seen him bail from many pockets though and when he has, he's made some great plays, even a TD off script.

Obviously you were seeing the opposite in college though so it just makes me wonder. Was there anything you saw back then to suggest that he would already be able to change some of these things pretty substantially? Like what were other strengths you saw from him that might be translating now?

Edit: I've also seen a lot of the short route stuff you are talking about, though he's been great at throwing some intermediate stuff over the middle and to the corners.

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

I never watched him in college but it sounds like you watched a lot of him. I'm curious cause in his two preseason (yes I know) games, the two things that stood out most to me were his ability to go through his progressions and read the defense presnap. He also had a surprising amount of athleticism which ppl in the media underplayed, but you mentioned was one of his better traits.

I would have to see over a period of time on the progression lens against starting caliber defenses on the progressions portion.

And yes, he is highly athletic and has a lot of physical tools, from a traits standpoint I’m not concerned.

He definitely has some weird footwork stuff and has trouble setting his base when there's pressure. Haven't seen him bail from many pockets though and when he has, he's made some great plays, even a TD off script.

The footwork with pressure in the pocket and standing strong with falling away specifically is what concerns me.

Obviously you were seeing the opposite in college though so it just makes me wonder. Was there anything you saw back then to suggest that he would already be able to change some of these things pretty substantially? Like what were other strengths you saw from him that might be translating now?

He clearly progressed at Oregon and his accuracy really improved a lot, as did his confidence. But if you watch him against more quality opponents, some of those same issues remained.

Edit: I've also seen a lot of the short route stuff you are talking about, though he's been great at throwing some intermediate stuff over the middle and to the corners.

Eventually when defenses start denying those routes and force him to beat them on third downs, that’s when you’ll see how good or not good (depending) he is. Just my opinion.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

It sounded like a copy/paste from a vague scouting report made on half the spread offense dink and dunk QBs to come out in the past 15 years. Bad footwork from never dropping back from center. Schemed openings. "Long handoff" plays. These things could almost be said about every QB to come out since 2009 sans for Luck and Stafford. The comments about the footwork falling apart and any QB that doesn't have a cannon not being able to make throws without setting their feet. All of these things seem very common and generic and also said about 80% of most of the starters in the NFL right now when each one of them were entering the draft.

Hes an Oregon QB. The footwork and the offense he played in were a known question from the beginning not to mention when he was at auburn he was on the worst SEC team with the least amount of talent in the conference not counting Vandy.

Much Rather have Nix than Drake Maye or Caleb Williams with all of his "baggage." 

Edited by BullsandBroncos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

This is the only logical explanation as to how Zach Wilson went 2 overall

This is true. And not a hindsight at all. Never saw what made him a high pick in the draft. Not a single thing he did in college seemed impressive. How awful. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

This is true. And not a hindsight at all. Never saw what made him a high pick in the draft. Not a single thing he did in college seemed impressive. How awful. 

He supposedly had a strong arm,  could Chuck it 60+ on a rope, make any throw. Funny how the rest of what actually makes a QB good was never factored in?

Edited by Nabbs4u

7 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I was an outspoken hater of his. He essentially was horrific in college until a shortened Covid season with nobody at all in the stands playing against a bunch of 1 and 2 star nobodies.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I was an outspoken hater of his. He essentially was horrific in college until a shortened Covid season with nobody at all in the stands playing against a bunch of 1 and 2 star nobodies.

Not being sarcastic. Wilson made absolutely no sense to me at all. I couldn't make sense of what enamored some ppl. The pick was embarrassingly bad since it was said he'd go top 3

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Not being sarcastic. Wilson made absolutely no sense to me at all. I couldn't make sense of what enamored some ppl. The pick was embarrassingly bad since it was said he'd go top 3

One of the worst top 3 picks that I’ve seen in recent seasons..  It was so bizarre how he jumped into that kind of discussion.