which QB?

3rivers

the dreaded QB controversy is happening.

Most are saying Fields should be the QB.

what is everyone here thinking?

how many games would you allow your QB to play before replacing him with the other?

Dan O had a point. He was saying that Fields could  be better for when the play/protection  breaks down and then also didn't like the joke about going out of bounds then back inbounds  later in the segment  of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rlon said:

I don’t think it really matters…

not liking the QB room this year so far?

I'm expect about 4 weeks into the season before a change or if a change is to happen. But it would have to be really bad, look at what they tolerated with mitch and that was when the playoffs were on the line.  

I don't know what the talk or shade is all about.  Our team has turned into a reality show with the media. They always want to start some drama. I would go full Bill Belicheck on some of these guys.

bc9dc77e8df40a41.jpeg?v=1

Russ is the man and here's why I believe that:

1. Russ injured himself horseplaying on a sled. Bad move on his part. 

2. HC Mike Tomlin shut him down for most of camp to properly heal. Good move on his part.

3. Russell Wilson was brought here to be our Big Ben type of veteran, hopefully with a little more juice in his legs and arm.

4. Russell Wilson is 35 years old. Ideally, the Steelers want Russell to have juice/energy in January and February, not burn out in August.

5. Russell didn't need to practice every day in training camp because of his age. He has watched, gone through his game routines, etc. 

6. Russell Wilson's being out, actually helped the development of Justin Fields. Justin got more first-team and overall reps. Which was good for him.

7. Russell has rust after sitting out most of the preseason and playing 20 or so snaps with poor OL play against Buffalo. You don't bench the QB for the equivalent of a few series of bad football. A lot is due to pre-snap penalties, poor pass protection, and vanilla scheme. 

8. Justin Fields' play has not been so head and shoulders above Russ Wilson's that this should even be considered in my humble opinion. Neither has a TD and Fields has far more reps. 

9. Start Russ, let him knock off some rust this week, and then get him and every other starter out of the game safe and uninjured. 

10. Yes, it takes some time for QBs and receivers to develop some chemistry. It would help if there was some consistent pass protection too.

a 11. Why give up on a veteran SB-winning QB that you are paying less than a few million dollars on to trade to another team that you won't get any real value or compensation?  Sign Tannehill, and you are replacing one aging vet with another. I would prefer Russ.  Here's a thought, Why hasn't Minnesota called Tannehill who is an experienced starting vet with game and play-off experience?

FYI: I don't think that Cam or TJ played a single preseason snap. Do you think that they will be midseason level snap one in Atlanta? 

child-with-please-sign.jpg

2 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

1. Russ injured himself horseplaying on a sled. Bad move on his part. 

Just a point of clarification - this was part of the conditioning test, not him just goofing off. From what someone told me they were the really light 1 bag sleds. The conditioning test was more than just sprints this year. Someone who I know was there said that he noticed this was the toughest camp he's observed since Tomlin's first year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Just a point of clarification - this was part of the conditioning test, not him just goofing off. From what someone told me they were the really light 1 bag sleds. The conditioning test was more than just sprints this year. Someone who I know was there said that he noticed this was the toughest camp he's observed since Tomlin's first year.

Thanks for the clarification. This is kind of what I mean about all of the social media beat reporters.  The story I had read a while back used the term "horse-play."  It (the report/commentary) also questioned why a QB would even be hitting a sled.  They implied that Russ was the only QB who had done this. 😠

I honestly prefer to get stuff from people in this thread as we seem more informed than many in the media. That's not an arrogant or disrespectful statement to any professional journalist, but we have followed this team 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 50+ years as a group. We the team. We just don't have internal contacts like Shefty, or Ian who send us daily tidbits. 

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it'll be Wilson to start. I don't think it'll go super well. Not just because I think Russ is washed, which he is at least super close to, but because the offense is going to take time to gel. 

It should be Wilson too. If he didn’t get hurt I doubt this is even a topic. 

The other part is I think Russell fits one of Smith’s items and one of Tomlin’s items really well. He takes great deep ball shots (Smith) and he protects the ball (Tomlin). I don’t think that means stud offense, but I see a time control offense able to put up ~24 PPG. 

• Like 2

In a perfect world, Fields doesn't play this year. I think Russ can be good enough this year and Fields seems like the type of QB that needs more time in an offense. I don't think either is a long term answer, but if you think Fields is a long term answer at QB then you should be rooting for Russ to start the year at minimum. This is not only because Fields needs more time, but also because the OL is likely to struggle more early in the year.

• Like 2

What I think is most likely to happen:

Tomlin will go with Russ. Russ will be average and Tomlin will stick with him a bit too long,
before eventually gambling on Fields a bit late. Fields will struggle because the pressure will be on
and he'll have too many expectations to compensate for Russ and the offense's slow start. 

Best case Scenario:

Russ is above average and that, combined with a great defense - and decent spot Fields moments means
we go with Fields in 2025 and thank Russ for the bridging year. We draft someone relatively high to compete with Fields in 2025.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It should be Wilson too. If he didn’t get hurt I doubt this is even a topic. 

Agreed. I think his time out helped Justin get to work on some issues that will help him going forward. It was in a sense a win/win. But, that said, I still don't think Justin is a better QB than Russell right now. 

The other part is I think Russell fits one of Smith’s items and one of Tomlin’s items really well. He takes great deep ball shots (Smith) and he protects the ball (Tomlin).

Yes. Justin seems llike the light is coming on. I am still a big proponent that a QB sitting and learning the stuff from the neck up goes a long way for them.  This helped Josh Dobbs in my humble opinion and he is not an elite talent, but a smart guy.  He has exceeded expectations of what many thought he would/could be.  I believe that this greatly benefits Justin going into 2025. 

I don’t think that means stud offense, but I see a time control offense able to put up ~24 PPG. 

Agreed. I think there will be some games were Russ lights it up as well. Chances go up with an even better WR across from Pickens.... Whose name I won't mention. 😜

Sept-10-2023-Steelers-v-49ers-at-Acrisur

23 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

In a perfect world, Fields doesn't play this year. I think Russ can be good enough this year and Fields seems like the type of QB that needs more time in an offense. I don't think either is a long term answer, but if you think Fields is a long term answer at QB then you should be rooting for Russ to start the year at minimum. This is not only because Fields needs more time, but also because the OL is likely to struggle more early in the year.

I agree with your take.  I was actually not a fan of trading for Fields over Pickett. However, I can admit I was wrong about Kenny. I said the Steelers rushed Kenny into the spotlight TOO SOON.  I definitely, don't want to see that with Justin either.  If he could sit without injury or undue pressure, he would be so far ahead for the start of 2025. 

I think the OL will struggle with pass protection early, but I think they surprise everyone with the ground-and-pound game.  Those young guys are maulers and mean. They will learn better techniques, get stronger, and mature as the year goes on. I think Najee is quietly waiting to have his first fast start on the ground in his entire NFL career. 

early-seasonThe Steelers also have not shown much short to intermediate TE passing this preseason. I think that will be an early season weapon unveiled in week 1 in Atlanta. 

• Like 1

I think you go with Wilson to start. You lead with it being this way. It keeps a lot more hope to have Fields in your back pocket. 

I don't think Russ has been given remotely fair amount of consideration. Two things that bothered me were the short arm dump off throw or whatever to the outside (just trying to recall without looking back, i just remember thinking what was that?  I hate short arm throws to the flats/ outside)  and then his continuous hesitancy / indecision.

I think the thing you are expecting or looking for from Russ / a veteran is a "plan" , not indecision.  Even if it doesn't work or look great, just to execute or do something. 

Hesitancy and indecision is for younger guys like Fields etc. 

They should ride or die with Fields.

However they’ll start Wilson and only bring in Fields if Wilson sucks or gets injured.

Itll be another 9-8 season or so season if Wilson starts the whole year.

13 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I agree with your take.  I was actually not a fan of trading for Fields over Pickett. However, I can admit I was wrong about Kenny. I said the Steelers rushed Kenny into the spotlight TOO SOON.  I definitely, don't want to see that with Justin either.  If he could sit without injury or undue pressure, he would be so far ahead for the start of 2025. 

I think the OL will struggle with pass protection early, but I think they surprise everyone with the ground-and-pound game.  Those young guys are maulers and mean. They will learn better techniques, get stronger, and mature as the year goes on. I think Najee is quietly waiting to have his first fast start on the ground in his entire NFL career. 

early-seasonThe Steelers also have not shown much short to intermediate TE passing this preseason. I think that will be an early season weapon unveiled in week 1 in Atlanta. 

I don't think you or I were wrong about Pickett.  The only thing that bothers me about Kenny is the attitude / demeanor of giving up at the end.  I think he'll have regrets someday as I think he ultimately was a bit of a reluctant about staying in Pittsburgh from the start tbh , but he also was dealt a pretty lousy hand.  

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 1