Need help

HashtagFTW

Calling all my old brothers....

As we all know, I'm hands down the greatest member in FootballsFuture Detroit Lions history. My football instincts and intellect was second to none. However, it seems to be that my glory days are behind me.

I have been in an annual fantasy football league going on 8 years now and I continuously place embarrassingly low in the standings. I have yet to win and I'm lucky to make the playoffs. I know this must be shocking to hear, but I have become the equivalent to MJ on the Wizards and I don't understand why. Every year, I am so pumped about my team and think I won the draft hands down. But between injuries and players not living up to their potential, I have become a laughingstock. 

Help me! What do I need to do this year? My draft is this Sunday and this Forums GOAT is needing assistance!

Edited by HashtagFTW

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

What are the scoring settings? Redraft, keeper or dynasty league? Is there a specific position you seem to struggle with while having good instincts at other positions?

Ppr

Redraft

Yes

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/ppr-cheatsheets.php

This is a fairly good ranking. I personally downgrade all Detroit players (worried I'll overrate them) and rookies. In redraft everyone overrates younger players and tends to leave established veterans on the pile. You'll probably be able to snag guys like Nuk Hopkins or Ty Lockett in the later rounds to fill out your 2,3 or 4 WR slots.

Fade the right guys. Sam LaPorta probably won't be the #1 fantasy TE, but he'll be good. People love Evan Engram this year but I don't trust him. Dalton Kinkaid is in a great spot without much competition, whereas David Njoku has a ton of competition and isn't playing with Joe Flacco this season, the QB he really gelled with.

Don't chase positional runs in the draft. If you need a QB and everyone is taking them in round 2, don't take the #7 QB in the 2nd out of panic. You'll be able to get a good starter in the mid-late rounds. It's way better to have a significant strength than to settle for lesser talent because the draft isn't shaking out like we'd hoped.

In terms of trades, I like this site a bit;

https://keeptradecut.com/trade-calculator

All of the sites have different values and you should obviously adjust due to your personal valuations, but this calculator includes a handy "value adjustment" feature that helps account for the theoretical replacement player. If you're doing a 2 or 3 for 1 trade, the value should be your expected added point differential rather than just the expected fantasy points of each player combined (since you have bench players and FAs that could have theoretically taken that spot, IE the 'replacement player'.)

• Like 1

I tend to go heavy at WR in a PPR league and have a strong set of starters and bench. I wouldn't call it a 'zero RB' but I usually lean more to the WR's. 

TE: Unless you're getting Kelce or one of the other top two guys, you can usually just stream these guys week-to-week. You might get lucky and land a LaPorta (even if it's the diet version) and have someone that you can plug in most weeks. 

QB: In my 10 team keeper league, QB tends to be one of the last few picks I'll make. We have K and DST. I might take a QB with my 3rd or 4th last picks. There's 32 starting NFL QB's. There are 10 teams. 2/3 of the rest of the league will be available on the waiver wire. Unless Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen are sitting there, I'd just add more talent to the roster.  Even Patrick Mahomes could have a down year. We have 5 WR potential spots (3WR, 1 RB/WR Flex, 1 TE/WR Flex). It's a much bigger impact if I make the right moves at the skill position where most QB's can give me enough points to have a good shot. 

Roster Construction: I will also take chances on some guys to potentially use as a trade piece. Especially if the rest of the league has zigged while you've zagged. If you get value out of someone (say Calvin Ridley coming off of suspension) and they start playing out of their minds, you can trade that piece to boost up one of your spots. When you have significant depth, you can give some of it away without compromising the rest of your roster. 

Best advice: Realize that your status in fantasy football also seems to mirror your status in the FF Lions Forum HOF (not in it, sort of because there isn't one).  

As for the draft, do some research and mocks from your draft spot to prepare. Joel Smyth on tik tok actually has some really solid data driven info on drafting guys that considers multiple factors including age, coaching changes, QB changes etc but he also uses advanced stats to support guys to target/fade based on their ADP.  IMO, go safer in rounds 1 and 2 (usually means a WR with a decent QB) and avoid the risks of guys like Drake London, Marvin Harrison etc.  Those guys could blow up but really out of the first couple of rounds, you just need solid production.  QB and TE are both pretty deep this year so dont jump on the train early if thee is value there late. And my biggest advice is stay active on the waiver wire.  Fantasy is typically not won in a draft unless you somehow drafted Puka and Kyren Williams last year.  So stay in the details of potential risers and jump on them a week or two early if you can. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

It’s cause you stopped talking to me bro. It’s been downhill ever since. 

I still love you. 

You got ugly while me and Ian got prettier. It got too embarrassing to talk to you. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 6:01 PM, theuntouchable said:

It’s cause you stopped talking to me bro. It’s been downhill ever since. 

I still love you. 

In the spirit of this thread, 

Yahoo .5 PPR; 10 teams; 4 keeper league; no TE premium

I don't have a 1st or a 3rd. Pick 4

• Travis Kelce
  • Sam LaPorta
  • Jahmyr Gibbs
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Tee Higgins
  • George Pickens
  • JSN
  • Derrick Henry
  • Christian Watson
  • D'Andre Swift
  • Quentin Johnston
  • Jamo
  • Tank Dell

I am leaning Jefferson, Kelce, LaPorta for my top 3. 

It's a big debate between Gibbs, Higgins and Dell. I tend to diversify so I don't know if I want to be TOO invested in the Lions O but I do also need a RB. 

Give me your top 4

25 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

In the spirit of this thread, 

Yahoo .5 PPR; 10 teams; 4 keeper league; no TE premium

I don't have a 1st or a 3rd. Pick 4

• Travis Kelce
  • Sam LaPorta
  • Jahmyr Gibbs
  • Justin Jefferson
  • Tee Higgins
  • George Pickens
  • JSN
  • Derrick Henry
  • Christian Watson
  • D'Andre Swift
  • Quentin Johnston
  • Jamo
  • Tank Dell

I am leaning Jefferson, Kelce, LaPorta for my top 3. 

It's a big debate between Gibbs, Higgins and Dell. I tend to diversify so I don't know if I want to be TOO invested in the Lions O but I do also need a RB. 

Give me your top 4

Don't overthink it with Lions.  Look at ADP and Gibbs and JJ are the first two you should keep.  Kelce and Laporta are the next best but keeping two TEs isnt always smart but if you have a flex, I would probably keep both of them.  Next on my list would be Pickens.  

12 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Don't overthink it with Lions.  Look at ADP and Gibbs and JJ are the first two you should keep.  Kelce and Laporta are the next best but keeping two TEs isnt always smart but if you have a flex, I would probably keep both of them.  Next on my list would be Pickens.  

I always find in that league it's tough to find a good TE. Which is why I traded for Kelce. I've usually streamed but unless you have one of the top 3 guys it's really been a crapshoot. 

Alright - I appreciate the thoughts.