Malik Willis traded to Packers for 7th round pick

HeresAGuy

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Who is the QB coach in TN?  I don't think it isn't a coincidence that Willis is thriving under the guidance of Tom Clements who developed Rodgers and Love.

Honestly, I think it's less about QB mechanics and more about having the scheme play to what Willis can do.  Obviously the Colts game was all about the running game.  Willis did more vs TEN, but it was still a great job by MLF of putting Willis is a position to do things that are within his skill set.

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Miami calls up Gute and wants to acquire Willis this week.

What draft compensation do you say yes to?

I am someone who has done a complete 180 on Willis. I didn't mind getting him for a 7th but thought we were throwing away a draft pick. WRONG! 

Now, we have a shot this year to win it all. There is no telling if we might need him again. 

I'd have to be blown away by some team's desperation to move him. For me, that is a FRP. Which ain't happening. 

Nothing less than that is worth the risk of not having a very good backup quarterback. 

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I'd let him go for a 2. 

No way!!!
We got a cheap back up QB for under $2.5 for this year and next year.
Maybe sell after this year but I don't see where the value would match the need.
Might be premature but would love to keep him locked down as a longterm backup

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

The QB and the WRs are part of the running game. You send the RBs into the teeth of the defense to keep them playing heavy so you can gash them outside and have 1v1 on all the WRs. I see your 3.3 avg there.

The QB will not be a Malik-sized part of the running game when Love is back.  

Having a Malik who can run, with chunk runs, is really helpful.  That adds a way to make 1st downs.  And it impacts defense to not quite sell out on penetration, which buys a little extra time when he does throw.  It's win-win.  

Love is a different man with different skills.  

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not even sure Willis has done anything that will prevent GB from keeping him for a while.  MLF is doing a great job of scheming to accommodate what Willis can do.  That's not going to work for many other teams looking for a QB2.

I think the original question was specific to Miami and him likely being the starter there. 

Just now, craig said:

The QB will not be a Malik-sized part of the running game when Love is back.  

Having a Malik who can run, with chunk runs, is really helpful.  That adds a way to make 1st downs.  And it impacts defense to not quite sell out on penetration, which buys a little extra time when he does throw.  It's win-win.  

Love is a different man with different skills.  

I actually would love for Love to pick up a few more first downs in the right situation but obviously that needs to be put on ice a bit until he is healthy and mobile enough to be effective.

AR was really solid with his runs, not because he was a high level athlete, but because he was so aware of what the D was doing. Once he knew the coverage was cleared out, he picked up quite a few yards and moved the sticks. Hoping for some of that once Jordan is back to full capacity 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think the original question was specific to Miami and him likely being the starter there. 

Sure, but only as a stop gap for Tua.  I am as happy as anyone else about how Malik has worked out for GB so far, but that doesn't mean I think his trade value is particularly high.  He's only played one game where he's been asked to do anything, and even those things were fairly limited.  I'm not at all trying to rain on Malik's parade here, he's been great.  In this MIA scenario, I'd be shocked if MIA offered their RD3 pick for Willis, and anything less than that would be easy to reject.  Even with the RD3, I still wouldn't accept it with Love being less than 100% healthy.

20 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Sure, but only as a stop gap for Tua.  I am as happy as anyone else about how Malik has worked out for GB so far, but that doesn't mean I think his trade value is particularly high.  He's only played one game where he's been asked to do anything, and even those things were fairly limited.  I'm not at all trying to rain on Malik's parade here, he's been great.  In this MIA scenario, I'd be shocked if MIA offered their RD3 pick for Willis, and anything less than that would be easy to reject.  Even with the RD3, I still wouldn't accept it with Love being less than 100% healthy.

Irony is the Dolphins might need to make a trade like that. The Tua cap hit is going to strangle them for a couple of years. I'm assuming Tua is done. Willis, or someone like him, on the cheap this year and next might be the way to go.

As I stated earlier, I wouldn't trade him for less than a FRP, which isn't going to be offered. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

This. 

Tua is done and Miami is in win now mode with a Shanny/LaFleur tree offensive system that has now seen what Willis can do in it. And he's now going to be viewed as a long-term solution because of the steps he's taken in year 3.

Miami has taken notice unquestionably. 

Lucky for us the rest of the league missed what our staff/FO saw.

Edited by incognito_man

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

This. 

Tua is done and Miami is in win now mode with a Shanny/LaFleur tree offensive system that has now seen what Willis can do in it. 

Miami has taken notice unquestionably. 

Lucky for us the rest of the league missed what our staff/FO saw.

2nd and huntley for willis and i probably wouldnt think twice