Dolphins extend HC Mike McDaniel

RaidersAreOne

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Love him, happy that he isn't going anywhere.

Yeah. He's a good one. Could be the next Kyle Shanahan, which doesn't fill me with the warm and fuzzies as a Bills fan. 

9 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

No brainer decisions, really.

Just needs to show he can lead them to playoff wins. 

Tbh I'd worry more about that if we weren't dealt such crummy hands the last two seasons in the playoffs (in his first ever playoff game having to start a late round rookie QB due to injury, then the next season playing in one of the coldest games ever on the road against the defending champs while starting guys off the street because more the half the team is injured).

It's more concerning to me the late-season fades down the stretch (the loss vs the Titans last year stings even now), but I've seen enough to confidently say he's the best coach Miami has had since Shula without a doubt.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

No brainer decisions, really.

Just needs to show he can lead them to playoff wins. 

Yeah. He's had some whiffs in big moments of big games, but I also think Tua struggles in those situations as well. Both of them need to grow if they want to make serious noise in the playoffs. Still, a coach that regularly produces 10 ish wins a year and turned around a young QB who was outcasted by the previous regime is a coach you keep around. 

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Tbh I'd worry less about that if we weren't dealt such crummy hands the last two seasons in the playoffs (having to start a late round rookie QB due to injury, then playing in one of the coldest games ever starting guys off the street because more the half the team is injured).

It's more concerning to me the late-season fades down the stretch, but I've seen enough to confidently say he's the best coach Miami has had since Shula without a doubt.

This is true. Buffalo was on a downward trend in the 2023 playoffs. They seem to play Tua well, but I'm not confident Buffalo wins that game. And last year- man- did the Chiefs ever luck into two games (BUF and MIA) where both teams defense were demolished by injuries.

The 2023-2024 Bills will be my biggest what if. Even more so than the '13 seconds' Bills since I don't think they get by Cincy in the AFC championship, but a healthy defense in the 2024 playoffs could've brought them to the glory land. Oh well, as my man Frank would sing- That's Lifeeeee

• Like 1

There are question marks, but really a no-brainer. Dude’s clearly capable. Still really young. 

Food for thought, but when I think about it, is it really necessary to extend coaches? When was the last time a good coach left a good/winning situation, purely on his own (no owner/GM kicking him out the door, no retirement, etc)? Just have a bunch of winning seasons, contract ends, sign somewhere else despite the team wanting to bring them back? 

40 minutes ago, Soggust said:

A year early, imo.

Coaching contracts aren't bound by the salary cap so the only risk is to Stephen Ross' pocketbook (which is to say, there is none from a football perspective). I'm unsure why you'd feel this way, though - he's pretty clearly an effective & innovative coach.

27 minutes ago, Soko said:

There are question marks, but really a no-brainer. Dude’s clearly capable. Still really young. 

Food for thought, but when I think about it, is it really necessary to extend coaches? When was the last time a good coach left a good/winning situation, purely on his own (no owner/GM kicking him out the door, no retirement, etc)? Just have a bunch of winning seasons, contract ends, sign somewhere else despite the team wanting to bring them back? 

It's more about keeping a coach happy that you want to be a part of your organization for years to come, I'd think.

19 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Coaching contracts aren't bound by the salary cap so the only risk is to Stephen Ross' pocketbook (which is to say, there is none from a football perspective). I'm unsure why you'd feel this way, though - he's pretty clearly an effective & innovative coach.

I don't think it's a salary cap issue. 

I think he's a bit in the Trevor situation where his resume to date doesn't quite match his perceived talent, and I think we have scrutinized more accomplished coaches getting extensions.

Please don't take that to mean I don't think he's capable or even likely to live up to expectations. I think he's a good coach, but I just would have liked to see another year of productivity, personally, considering he had 2 years left on his deal.

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

It's more about keeping a coach happy that you want to be a part of your organization for years to come, I'd think.

It is 100% this, and honestly, a great decision.  I can’t see them parting ways with him for the foreseeable future, so make the man happy and wanting to continue to be there. 

• Like 1