Week 1: non-Viking games

vike daddy

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

How many OL coaches opened their meetings today with the illegal formation penalties from last nights game?

Left tackle Ronnie Stanley was called for three illegal formation penalties and right tackle Patrick Mekari was called for it once, which wasn’t a huge shock given that officials told teams that the call would be a point of emphasis this season. The Chiefs were not flagged for the infraction at any point in their 27-20 win, however, and Stanley took issue with what he felt was a singular focus on how he was lining up.

Stanley said he plans to ask the league to review the calls because he knows “my helmet was breaking the center’s butt” and that he was “lining up more in front of what I used to do” because of the emphasis on the call.

Stanley: “The way it was going through the game, I really feel like they were trying to make an example and chose me to be the one to do that. As far as I saw, they weren’t doing it on both sides of the ball. I know that I was lined up in good position a majority of those calls they made.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ronnie-stanley-they-werent-calling-illegal-formation-both-ways-they-made-an-example-of-me

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Chiefs were not flagged for the infraction at any point in their 27-20 win, however, and Stanley took issue with what he felt was a singular focus on how he was lining up.

I thought that was laughable, considering Jawaan Taylor is the reason this is even being emphasized. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Stanley: “The way it was going through the game, I really feel like they were trying to make an example and chose me to be the one to do that. As far as I saw, they weren’t doing it on both sides of the ball. I know that I was lined up in good position a majority of those calls they made.”

Except for when the broadcast team drew a line and showed that you weren’t, each time…

• Like 3

The Packers have a pair of running backs on the injury report for Friday night’s game against the Eagles, so they called up a healthy one from the practice squad.

Ellis Merriweather has been elevated for the matchup in Sao Paolo, Brazil. He’ll go back to the practice squad after the game. Rookie MarShawn Lloyd and Emanuel Wilson are both listed as questionable. Lloyd has a groin injury and Wilson has a hip injury. Josh Jacobs is the team’s starter in the backfield.

Merriweather was undrafted out of UMass last year and spent time on the practice squads in New Orleans and Green Bay without taking part in any regular season action.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/packers-elevate-rb-ellis-merriweather-from-practice-squad

The first game of the 2024 NFL season reached a massive audience.

NBC announced that Thursday night’s Ravens-Chiefs game had an average audience of 28.9 million viewers, which made it the most-watched of all the NFL Kickoff games since the league began the tradition of starting the season on a Thursday night.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ravens-chiefs-reaches-28-9-million-viewers-most-watched-nfl-kickoff-game-ever

In the second quarter, both the Eagles’ Saquon Barkley and the Packers’ Jayden Reed scored rushing and receiving touchdowns.

Two players doing that in the same quarter? That’s never happened before in NFL history!

NBC News

• Like 1

Love, in his second year as a full-time starter, threw for 260 yards with two touchdowns and one interception before the injury, and had the Packers in position to take the lead multiple times late in the game. 

But Love failed to lead a touchdown drive on the Packers' final five drives, only managing a field goal in the game's final 27 minutes. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jordan-love-injured-final-seconds-eagles-beat-packers-first-nfl-game-south-america