BDL 2024 Week 1: New Orleans Jazz @ Raleigh Firebirds

RedGold

Who wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• New Orleans Jazz
    • Raleigh Firebirds

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2024 at 04:59 AM

Ralegh just has nothing going for them at the offensive skill positions this week apart from the unmentioned Jordan Mason randomly going off in a scheme Raleigh isn’t running.

New Orleans wins despite a pretty weak offensive line and a plodding performance from their top two backs to open the season—I’m pretty sure I have better vision than Josh Jacobs even without my glasses on, in particular. Not to mention a fictional person starting for them at defensive tackle.

There's nothing I respect more than a white-gloved, gentlemanly duel, and that's exactly what we have on our hands with this one. New Orleans extended their hand in a show of respect by starting Havenstein (who did not play), and Raleigh graciously accepted this gesture by extending their own hand and starting McCaffrey (who also did not play). Two teams choosing class over competition. Veneration over victory. The vibes are immense.

Once we get past the pleasantries, we're left with two very good teams. How good? I have no idea. Cam Robinson's hypothetical ability in this one gets downgraded in his relief of Havenstein, but a limited Cam Robinson is probably adequate enough to slow down Jermaine Johnson at this point in his career. Josh and Josh have enough ability to move the ball against a quality Raleigh defense, but I think a guy like Danielle Hunter has the edge over Jake Matthews, especially if his name brother Jake Ferguson isn't helping to chip. I don't see an explosive offensive showing for New Orleans, but points will be scored, especially in the running game.

The question becomes: can Raleigh do enough on offense to counter?

I'd expect Stafford to enjoy throwing to MHJR more than Kyler did on Sunday, so I'm not prepared to dock Harrison's performance in this based on his disappointing Week 1. That being said, Raleigh used the word "McCaffrey" nine (!) times in their offensive gameplan, and the guy was chilling on the sidelines in street clothes. Zack Moss isn't anywhere near the prolific receiver that McCaffrey has established himself to be, which severely hamstrings the gameplan, and I just don't see any way that Raleigh overcomes this void.

I've got Jacobs and Henry running the ball - and the clock - on Raleigh's chances in this one, with a final score of 27-10.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, InjuredReserve said:

I'm assuming Cam Robinson in at RT for him then?

And by that logic I am assuming Jordan Mason is in for McCaffery. 

I think Raleigh has the better defense and Hunter will be able to pressure Allen against a backup RT.

Also who is Jonathan Simmons? 

I went with the home team in this one and think Raleigh win 27-21 in OT. They win the coin toss and Stafford drives them down the field against a gassed Jazz DL.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

There's nothing I respect more than a white-gloved, gentlemanly duel, and that's exactly what we have on our hands with this one. New Orleans extended their hand in a show of respect by starting Havenstein (who did not play), and Raleigh graciously accepted this gesture by extending their own hand and starting McCaffrey (who also did not play). Two teams choosing class over competition. Veneration over victory. The vibes are immense.

Once we get past the pleasantries, we're left with two very good teams. How good? I have no idea. Cam Robinson's hypothetical ability in this one gets downgraded in his relief of Havenstein, but a limited Cam Robinson is probably adequate enough to slow down Jermaine Johnson at this point in his career. Josh and Josh have enough ability to move the ball against a quality Raleigh defense, but I think a guy like Danielle Hunter has the edge over Jake Matthews, especially if his name brother Jake Ferguson isn't helping to chip. I don't see an explosive offensive showing for New Orleans, but points will be scored, especially in the running game.

The question becomes: can Raleigh do enough on offense to counter?

I'd expect Stafford to enjoy throwing to MHJR more than Kyler did on Sunday, so I'm not prepared to dock Harrison's performance in this based on his disappointing Week 1. That being said, Raleigh used the word "McCaffrey" nine (!) times in their offensive gameplan, and the guy was chilling on the sidelines in street clothes. Zack Moss isn't anywhere near the prolific receiver that McCaffrey has established himself to be, which severely hamstrings the gameplan, and I just don't see any way that Raleigh overcomes this void.

I've got Jacobs and Henry running the ball - and the clock - on Raleigh's chances in this one, with a final score of 27-10.

1st paragraph was a treat to read

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

And by that logic I am assuming Jordan Mason is in for McCaffery. 

I think Raleigh has the better defense and Hunter will be able to pressure Allen against a backup RT.

Also who is Jonathan Simmons? 

I went with the home team in this one and think Raleigh win 27-21 in OT. They win the coin toss and Stafford drives them down the field against a gassed Jazz DL.

I mean Robinson is the next tackle on his bench… Mason is not the next RB on Raleigh’s bench… these two things are not the same

Just now, Scoundrel said:

I mean Robinson is the next tackle on his bench… Mason is not the next RB on Raleigh’s bench… these two things are not the same

I didn't see numbers by either of those and one is a direct replacement for the other. I am all about the handcuff.

I'm going Raleigh in this one after deliberation. I think a meh OL is worse off for having to sub in Cam Robinson due to injury. Then I'm left with thinking that Josh Jacobs and Derrick Henry looked like plodders to me at this point in their careers. This isn't a catastrophic prediction. I think they can move the ball somewhat ok, but it won't be consistent and the Raleigh interior headlines by Carter and McNeil will cause headaches.

On the opposite end I think the downgrade from McCaffrey is tough on Raleigh, but 2 backup RBs were suited up and will be OK behind that OL. I think this is a balanced game that would be incredible to watch. Raleigh might have worse skill position players with McCaffrey out, but they get the job done just enough behind the game's superior OL.

Raleigh by 3 over NO (27-24)

6 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

To be fair I also asked bc Robinson has no RT snaps that I know of. So I wanted to make sure I was assuming that was the plan.

On 9/9/2024 at 5:59 PM, EaglesPeteC said:

How did we find stats for a player who hasn’t played yet? If he does this tonight I am burning you as a witch 

Well, at least there’s nothing to worry about there

• Like 2

Just now, SirA1 said:

I meant the RBs. Cam Robinson it the only OT listed on the bench so obviously has to go in.

Moss is mentioned in the plan and Mason isn’t… he’s also above him on the bench… I always put guys that play the same position on the bench in order of when they would go in the game but maybe that’s just me

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Moss is mentioned in the plan and Mason isn’t… he’s also above him on the bench… I always put guys that play the same position on the bench in order of when they would go in the game but maybe that’s just me

Absolutely your choice to do so.