BDL 2024 Week 1: Berlin Blitzkrieg @ Rome Eternals

RedGold

Who wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Berlin Blitzkrieg
    • Rome Eternals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2024 at 04:59 AM

This was a coin toss for me tbh. Literally flipped a coin and Rome at home 24-21 on a last minute field goal. Feel like Rome's front seven gets abused here and struggles to stop the run against an elite Berlin Backfield.

I'm taking Berlin in a nail biter. To further elaborate. I think Berlins offense starts off slow, but their defense I think will create them some opportunities and while Romes defense is no push over and they do have a good offense, I think it's Berlins defense that stands tall at the end to give their offense just enough of a chance to pull this out.

Something to the tune of 23-20 Berlin

Edited by VigilantZombie

Brutal brutal game to judge and I waffled so many times back and forth. End up going Berlin in a nail biter. The RB rotation staying fresh and the DL pressure they bring are huge factors for me.

In all honesty, Rome gets a tough bad luck that they didn't get Berlin in Week 2 where the injuries piled up and the loss of Derrick Brown specifically would have been a massive factor. 

Two jaugernauts in this one.     In what I feel will be a theme this year, it doesn't feel right to select a loser.   

In the end I think Rome has a little more juice THIS week,         In the end with these owners and rosters this decision would probably be an even split throughout a full season. 

Probably the game of the week between two title contenders.

I like the Berlin O vs Rome D matchup. It’s very straight up on both sides. I like Berlin balance and I think they can find success running the ball. Calais probably shouldn’t be a full time starter in BDL imho, and Young should be the Edge 4 for Rome. But the depth of that edge group could pay dividends down the end, though Berlin tackles are very good. I don’t know if Berlin interior OL is a weakness really, and I certainly think it’s stronger that Rome interior DL so bit of a miscue here by Rome. I don’t mind pressure Stroud inside through zone blitzes, but leaving Wilson and Ayiuk additional space in the middle is certainly a risk. I do like Rome back 7 however, and I’m not particularly in love with Berlin WR corps, I think it’s solid though unspectacular.

On the other side I tend to disagree with bcb assessment of Berlin DL. I think it’s pretty deep outside. And inside Brown and Q are in their prime to they don’t need a ton of replacement snaps, Davon Hamilton can provide that if needed. I think Rome offense struggles initially - don’t know if they can run the ball as much as they want to honestly. But as the game goes along, I think they are more pressed to score the ball, open up the passing game and that’s where Berlin struggles at corner - especially Banks - are shown.

Great game. I think Berlin offense moves the ball fairly well, and while Rome struggles at first I think they find their groove with a more pass happy offense. It came down to, in the clutch, do I trust Stroud to secure a drive to win / put away the game? Answer is yes. Do I trust Herbert to complete a comeback with his arm only? Answer is no.

Rome falls short. Berlin 31 - Rome 27

• Like 1

Man these teams are awesome. This doesn’t feel like a playoff game; More like a final four game.

Rome is going to be a difficult team to stop this year because of their defense and offense has such well defined roles.

I also admire how much these two teams mirror one another (3 strong WRs, #1 CB in the slot). I think the deciding factor is I think CJ Stroud can make one or two more throws than Herbert based on the pressure from the opposing pass rush.

20-16 first half. Defenses take over in the second. 30-29 Berlin.