Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) vs. 49ers (1-0)

swede700

i hung out with the SF fans in their forum tonight during the game.

great bunch of guys to talk football with, i invited them all over to the Purple Lounge this week.

one of them said something like the 49ers haven't won IN Minny for something like 30 years...

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

what local time does @GermanVike watch a game that starts at 1 pm Eastern US time? five or six hours ahead?

what about a US Monday night game?

1 p.m. is the sweet spot, it's 7 p.m. here. All the other games I usually watch on gamepass the next day, because I have to get up early for work.

Happy to watch a Vikings-49ers game live for once.

Edit: Night games start at 2 a.m. local time, so if the game is a little slower, I can usually catch the last few minutes after I get up at 5:30 a.m. for work.

Edited by GermanVike
Addition
  • Like 2

• swede700 changed the title to Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) vs. 49ers (1-0)

KOC: "A heck of a challenge this week. We're going to have to be really on top of it as a coaching staff, you know, as the tape comes in tonight. I know the challenge we're going to have as we prepare throughout the week. I think they've got a lot of really good coaches. And obviously Kyle's going to have those guys playing really well. So we're going to just have to have a good plan. Great personnel on that side of the ball and, really, their whole team. We're going to need to have a really, really good week of prep to play well."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-o-connell-receiver-depth-efforts-on-line-at-giants

Jalen Nailor secured his second career touchdown against the Giants after recovering from an ankle injury of his own, and O'Connell let the third-year player know there could be more opportunities in Week 2.

O'Connell:  "We kind of had a plan for Speedy rep count-wise and what situations he would be in the game. He came out great – not just with the touchdown and the elite ball spin there on the celebration, but he came out feeling good – with some confidence, obviously, of making a play like that in a big-time moment in the game."

"Jordan at the very most will be limited, and I know Jordan will be ready to go if we can get him out there, but I'm going to tell Speedy, 'Prepare as if you're going to be playing a lot more snaps and a lot more first and second down, early down snaps.' Because that's why he's here. I've got a ton of confidence in him to go be an every-down receiver for us."

"And I thought B.P. (Brandon Powell) and Trent [Sherfield, Sr.], nobody's going to talk about it, they're not going to be highlights on SportsCenter, but those guys had some physical, physical plays in the run game. It doesn't always associate to big gains and plays that we remember, but you turn on the tape and you see the guys understanding their role, especially on those early downs."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-o-connell-receiver-depth-efforts-on-line-at-giants

• Like 1

This has to be a Flores game. Attack the IOL, force check downs, and play disciplined. Getting to Purdy early is the best chance to win on Sunday. Purdy was really good against the blitz last year, so I would not sell out and send a ton of bodies at him. On offense, I expect Darnold to be under more pressure this week - I'm excited to see how he fares with a step up in level of competition for his home field debut. Should be a fun game and a great test to gauge where they are as a team, going from maybe the weakest opponent in the league to the toughest.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This has to be a Flores game. Attack the IOL, force check downs, and play disciplined. 

like us, SF has a suspect IOL. to compensate, they dinked and dunked a lot last night, with a big play called about every 6 snaps.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

like us, SF has a suspect IOL. to compensate, they dinked and dunked a lot last night, with a big play called about every 6 snaps.

We can't forget too how bad Flores made Brock Purdy look last year.  He made him look like an actual Mr. Irrelevant.  While statistically he had an okay game, Flores did force him into 2 picks and put a lot of pressure on him.  Expect them to do it again, so we should probably see a lot of dinking and dunking again by Purdy. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

one of them said something like the 49ers haven't won IN Minny for something like 30 years...

I don't like putting any stock into records like this but no reason to end this streak now either. 

• Like 3

Just now, skywindO2 said:

I don't like putting any stock into records like this but no reason to end this streak now either. 

i agree. different teams, different stadiums, and such.

the bottom line is that SF fans don't take us (and particularly Flores) lightly.

9 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

And one of those times was the "Welcome to Minnesota, Greg Lewis!" moment. 

I don't usually like those records either, but it's always fun to know about.

The last time the 49ers beat the Vikings in Minnesota was December 13, 1992 when a 49er rookie (soon to be Viking 2 yrs later) Amp Lee ran for 2 TDs on a day that he had 134 yds rushing, by far the greatest game in his career.  Rich Gannon was the Vikings starting QB, only passing for 102 yds, of which 68 went to AC.  The 49ers went 14-2 that season losing to the Cowboys in the NFCC, while the Vikings went 11-5 losing to the Redskins in the Wildcard game in Denny's first season at the helm.

• Like 2

@757-NINER:

"My caveat to that is our four-man rush just isn't what it used to be.

Hargraves from my perspective, looks like he's on the wrong side of 30.

Floyd will flash some but he's another guy who's a little long in the tooth and seems like he'll be banged up, here & there.

It can't just be Bosa doing all the heavy lifting in terms of pressures and pocket-disruption.

I like what I saw from Collins but none of the rest of the DTs seem to be consistent enough with pressure on passing downs. Maybe Elliott?? But he's never really been a penetrator.

Our defensive pressure was built around a good rotation of DEs & DTs so guys would be fresh throughout the game and ready to pounce when their number was called.

But right now, we can't seem to get a consistent push, and this has been going on since last season.

And it's a shame because we finally have CBs who can hang in man situations.

But we can't marry that skillset with the pass-rush in its current state."

• Like 1

I hope we run the crap out of the ball in week 2. If we can control the clock and keep Purdy and his plethora of weapons on the bench we can win this game

Even our weaker offensive linemen (Bradbury & Ingram) are solid at run blocking so against a 49ers front 4 who are weaker than we're used too Chandler & Jones should be able to go off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, viking said:

I hope we run the crap out of the ball in week 2. If we can control the clock and keep Purdy and his plethora of weapons on the bench we can win this game

Even our weaker offensive linemen (Bradbury & Ingram) are solid at run blocking so against a 49ers front 4 who are weaker than we're used too Chandler & Jones should be able to go off.

I think what's more important is getting pressure on Purdy.  He's generally still a good passer under pressure, but he'll kill you when there is no pressure.  And if they can get pressure on him and are sure tacklers on the swing passes, dinks and dunks (which will likely happen a lot), then they'll be fine.  I'll also still hold to my prediction that Aiyuk will strain a hammy this game.