Week 2: Bucs (1-0) @ Lions (1-0)

Louis Friend

TBvsDET.webp

Here we go again! 

Does any other team start against the two teams they beat in the playoffs? It’s like the league was setting up redemption for both teams. 

Lions have a lot to clean up this game. Should also get Reader in there. 

Lets goooooooooo!! 😎

This is going to be a tough match-up.  Their receivers are going to be a challenge for our secondary.  The upside for the Lions is that Baker Mayfield will hold the ball a longer than Matthew Stafford.  If the Lions D-Line can win their 1-on-1s they should be able to disrupt the Bucs passing game.  

The Bucs have a very tough front-seven and a pair of good safeties with Jordan Whitehead and Antoine Winfield Jr.  Sam LaPorta will have to have a bigger role this week.  I would expect the Lions to run to the edges of that defense.  Frank Ragnow is going to have his hands full with Vita Vea.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

This is going to be a tough match-up.  Their receivers are going to be a challenge for our secondary.  The upside for the Lions is that Baker Mayfield will hold the ball a longer than Matthew Stafford.  If the Lions D-Line can win their 1-on-1s they should be able to disrupt the Bucs passing game.  

The Bucs have a very tough front-seven and a pair of good safeties with Jordan Whitehead and Antoine Winfield Jr.  Sam LaPorta will have to have a bigger role this week.  I would expect the Lions to run to the edges of that defense.  Frank Ragnow is going to have his hands full with Vita Vea.  

Baker may hold the ball longer but he is significantly more mobile than Stafford is.  I think that will be the tougher part is keeping contain. 

Overall I think the WR group last week was as good or better than TB but after Puka went down we should have been better.  So that does make me nervous somewhat but at the same time I don't expect TB to throw 49 times.  

I think being at home this is a super important game given TB is likely a playoff team too given their division and having any and all tiebreakers for playoff seeding.  Hopefully thats not needed but you never know.  We need to win the games at home and other games indoors since Goff typically has a drop off outside.  If he settles down, I think we should be ok this week and I am feeling much more comfortable after yesterdays game.  

• Like 1

I just read that Antone Winfield is supposed to be out with a sprained foot.  Their #3 CB apparently had a dislocated ankle and fractured fibula.  That should help get the Lion passing game get back on track.

Antoine Winfield Jr. injury update: Severity of ankle sprain, timetable revealed for Tampa Buccaneers safety, per report (on3.com)

Edited by Just Want A Title

6 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

If NFL doesn't flag Hutch for all the holds and tripping he is seeing it will be hard for Detroit to get to Baker. 

If the refs let Hutch play and call correct game it would help young secondary 

Never going to happen, happens with all the top pass rushers. The NFL wants to protect the QBs so they're very liberal with what they let the o line get away with.

11 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Read that this is only the 4th time in NFL history that a team is starting the season against two playoff opponents in their first two games. 

September football in the NFL is a little different than December football but having good opponents test the Lions early can only help.  Their first four opponents are teams you can't really take lightly.  The Cardinals, with Kyler Murray back at the helm, shouldn't be taken lightly.  They have added a ton of young talent and their bad grass turf seems like an added home-field advantage.  The Seahawks, despite their middling talent, are well coached even without Pete Carrol and seem to always give the Lions a problem.

That said, these early challenges should help them get rolling for some very tough road match-ups against the Cowboys in Week 6 and Houston in Week 10.