2024 GDT Week #2 1-0 Steelers Visit the 0-1 Broncos

Who will be the starting QB this week?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starting QB this week?

• Russell Wilson. If he's healthy, he's the man.
    • Justin Fields. Russ won't be ready and Justin will be the man.
    • Justin Fields. The offense is better in his hands.

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

That’s right I knew it was one of their OTs that left the game. Good news for Highsmith. Wouldn’t surprise me if Denver sells out to stop TJ after what he did last week. 

I expect a short rhythm passing game attempt with a heavy dose of the run game in an attempt to use space and pace to mitigate Watt/Highsmith's ability to impact the game.  I'm not sure about the quality of their IOL but our IDL had one hell of a game last week against a duo of good guards in Atlanta. If instead of just filling the right gaps, our LBers get in on the party then it could be an interesting in the trenches game.

I expect our offense to look much the same. Run the ball, lean on their DL, and try to bully ball. Take some timely shots down field. Jefferson, Austin, and Muth better come ready to break one. I expect Fields passing chart to look like it's avoiding GP some next week because Surtain is a top 5 corner. Then again that ATL corner was a top 10 and they still attacked him anyways, but the Bates/Simmons combo in the MOF forced us to attack boundary.

So really, IMO, securing a victory this year comes down to a few key things:

1 - Take away the ground game.

2 - Make Nix rush 2-3 decisions that give you the chance to create a turnover.

3 - Someone steps up with 2-3 big plays outside of Najee/Warren/Pickens.

If we can create those three things, I would feel good about being able to come away with a similar win as last week and end up like 24-10, 27-10 type area.

• Like 4

Nix is not the statue that Cousins is.  I would expect much more movement and perhaps having a spy like Wilson.  I do expect Watt to have a Watt like game but if they really sell out on him I would expect Highsmith and the interior to step up.

It would be nice to get some early scores to force the Broncos into a passing game which favors the Steeler pass rush.

• Like 3

I'm a fair bit more concerned about Denver's offense than I was about Atlanta. ATL was super clunky and disjointed. I think Sean Payton will have their offense ready to go. Payton and that rhythm offense can cause some major problems. We need to get quick pressure in the face of Nix. Make him move his eyes and feet around. Make him come off his first read. If he sits back there, he'll slice us up. 

Surtain worries me a bit on their defense. GP has faced two big tests in the first 2 games. Surtain seems to be the best that GP has seen so far. He's also big and athletic enough to keep up with George. 

It always comes down to stopping the run and forcing offenses into unfavorable 3rd downs. We'll need to offense to do a little more than they did against ATL. Need a TD or two from them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm a fair bit more concerned about Denver's offense than I was about Atlanta. ATL was super clunky and disjointed. I think Sean Payton will have their offense ready to go. Payton and that rhythm offense can cause some major problems. We need to get quick pressure in the face of Nix. Make him move his eyes and feet around. Make him come off his first read. If he sits back there, he'll slice us up. 

Surtain worries me a bit on their defense. GP has faced two big tests in the first 2 games. Surtain seems to be the best that GP has seen so far. He's also big and athletic enough to keep up with George. 

It always comes down to stopping the run and forcing offenses into unfavorable 3rd downs. We'll need to offense to do a little more than they did against ATL. Need a TD or two from them. 

Im not so much concerned about Bo Nix, Sean Payton (laughably overrated) and thay offense, as much as I am concerned about how good we tend to make bad offenses with bad QBs look.

Over the years, we have made the likes of Kyle Orton, Bruce Gradkowski, Mike Glennon, Terrelle Pryor, Ryan Mallett and others look much better than they actually are, even when we SUPPOSEDLY had notably better teams.

As good as this defense looked in week 1 against a supposedly good offense with talent, I wouldn't be shocked to see us completely shiz the bed this week and Bo Nix being a candidate for week 2 offensive player of the week.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2024 at 7:40 AM, warfelg said:

I expect a short rhythm passing game attempt with a heavy dose of the run game in an attempt to use space and pace to mitigate Watt/Highsmith's ability to impact the game. 

In the immortal words of Mike Tyson, "Everyone has a plan until TJ Watt hits them in the face." 😁

web-220109-tj-watt-celebrate.jpg?quality

I'm not sure about the quality of their IOL but our IDL had one hell of a game last week against a duo of good guards in Atlanta. If instead of just filling the right gaps, our LBers get in on the party then it could be an interesting in the trenches game.

Denver always has a solid OL. I would put them on par with Atlanta. I am a Quinn Meinerz fan and so badly wanted the Steelers to draft him. Ben Powers is an absolute apartment building and road grader. These dudes can move people. I agree the flowing ILB need to fill and support quickly. Good  game for Roberts and Queen to reign inside. The front seven will be again challenged. 

I expect our offense to look much the same. Run the ball, lean on their DL, and try to bully ball. Take some timely shots down field.

Hopefully they will be more efficient and the refs don't take the few impcat plays they make a game away. I would like to see Fields be more accurate and decisive passing the ball. 

Jefferson, Austin, and Muth better come ready to break one.

We gotta get them the ball too. Muth was I think 4-4 on his receptions/passes.  Austin and Jefferson need a few opportunities. The one that Jefferson got, the blocking got eaten up or the game was over there. 

I expect Fields passing chart to look like it's avoiding GP some next week because Surtain is a top 5 corner. Then again that ATL corner was a top 10 and they still attacked him anyways, but the Bates/Simmons combo in the MOF forced us to attack boundary.

I think they may take a shot or two downfield (in the middle).  I just hope Fields has a little more accuracy than he did eary if tthey throw in the middle. 

So really, IMO, securing a victory this year comes down to a few key things:

1 - Take away the ground game.

Yep!!!!

2 - Make Nix rush 2-3 decisions that give you the chance to create a turnover.

He's a rookie. I would say more than that. Hopefully they can capitolize on 2-3 of those being turnovers (INT's) and the others maybe a strip sack or two. 

3 - Someone steps up with 2-3 big plays outside of Najee/Warren/Pickens.

I think Najee and Jalen are capable of making plays. I would like to see Austin with the ball in his hands a few more times. I will add, why not Mt. Washington? I think Pickens will get his. Surtan is a beast, but so is Pickens. Justin throws a pretty good deep ball. 

If we can create those three things, I would feel good about being able to come away with a similar win as last week and end up like 24-10, 27-10 type area.

Two weeks of a victory by more than seven points. 😱🫨How un-steelers ugly ball like. 😁

On 9/11/2024 at 9:43 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm a fair bit more concerned about Denver's offense than I was about Atlanta. ATL was super clunky and disjointed. I think Sean Payton will have their offense ready to go.

Planning is typically not the problem. It is execution on the field. I am more concerned about being able to keep our DL fresh and free from getting pounded by Powers and Meinerz inside. Very similar OL's and styles with Atlanta actually having a better QB and RB.  The Steelers must overcome their mile high mistakes that have cost them games in the past.

Payton and that rhythm offense can cause some major problems. We need to get quick pressure in the face of Nix. Make him move his eyes and feet around. Make him come off his first read. If he sits back there, he'll slice us up. 

I think most any QB carves us up with time and comfort. Our secondary is better overall.  I am hopeful the slot CB holds up. Atlanta didnt exploit Beenie last week in their passing game. 

See above. Pickens can be great. The problem is if he is our ONLY passing option. I don't see it that way. Austin, Jefferson, and Wilson can be incoprporated into the attack. The Steelers need to better scheme a few opportunities for the outside guys and other TE's.

It always comes down to stopping the run and forcing offenses into unfavorable 3rd downs. We'll need the offense to do a little more than they did against ATL. Need a TD or two from them. 

Absolutely. Six FG's are points, but against good offenses, just not enough.  Najee was close to breaking loose on a few. Jalen is still recovering and he will get better once the hammy gets better. I think they can also us MT. Washington as a RZ threat.  It sounds crazy, but this offense needs to start scoring at least two to three TD's a game. Sometimes that won't be enough. The name of the game is scoring TD's on offense and preventing them on defense. 

14 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Looks like we might be getting Broderick at LT and Fautanu at RT this week. Moore not practicing with an ankle injury and Fautanu off the injury report.

I bet Moore practices today. His ankle didn't seem very serious. Just that it swelled up after the game. 

• Like 2

Some players I want to see step up from week 1 to week 2:

- Pat Freiermuth - With Pickens likely to be dealing with PS2 all game, we need to see more out of Pat than just a checkdown/underneath guy. You got the contract, the looks should be there, and you're healthy...lets see some plays downfield. 

- Keanu Benton - Was a little disappointed in Benton week 1 but he should have the opportunity to make more plays against Denver. I think I saw there starting C missed practice yesterday and they are generally a little beat up on the O-Line. 

- Patrick Queen - I don't think he had a horrible week 1 but he didn't exactly look like an All-Pro linebacker either. Would like to see a little more out of him this week. 

- Jaylen Warren - I hope he's healthy enough to mix in a little more this week.  

• Like 3

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

If we can scheme up Levi on GP, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, Wallace is probably a better CB than Van Jefferson, CA3, and Miller are WRs.  

waiting to see this as it unfolds. CA3 has speed advantage but really hasn't done much.  Might have speed at combine but once the equipment is on, not as much

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

waiting to see this as it unfolds. CA3 has speed advantage but really hasn't done much.  Might have speed at combine but once the equipment is on, not as much

Other than that 70 something yard TD last year, he's been nonexistent. I'm hoping Smith gets something together for him. That, or just go out and get a good WR.