Has Baker Mayfield found his permanent home?

notthatbluestuff

I liked Baker’s arrogance when he came out, but over time it wore thin, especially as the team wasn’t winning/he wasn’t playing well/was hurt. Definitely soured on him as a player and as a football-leader.

But now? Dude sounds all class. For those who watched the post-game on-field interview yesterday, the reporter asked him how he felt about DC saying that he wants to put the game on Baker’s shoulders (implying if the Lions force Baker to be the engine, the Lions would win). First words out of the dude’s mouth was that it’s really a team game, he didn’t have to do much, the defense made it possible. Maybe PC for some people and possibly lip service, but IMO it seems like he really grew up and became a guy people want to work with/for. How great would Cleveland be right now if they had all those picks, all that extra cap space, and the current iteration of Baker Mayfield for them at QB? Or even aside from the Browns, how many teams would take a QB playing at his level for $33M/year? Guys with worse production than him last year are getting paid significantly more. It’s maybe the best non-rookie contract bargain in the NFL at QB.

I’m not sure I trust Tampa overall, but if Baker has another strong season, I’m not sure it can be denied that he belongs in that third tier of QBs (the one after Josh/Lamar/Burrow). I hope it goes that way, I’m rooting for the guy.

15 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

I always saw him as a 8-12 guy

good enough to get you to the playoff and win a game but if team isn’t elite he won’t win a Super Bowl 

@Forge can dig up the thread from like 3 years ago where I laid out who I thought he was, which is better than everyone else said coming off of a 2020 rebound season, then it was immediately followed by a lost 2021 injured season, and most of us (myself included) said we wanted him to play out his fifth year just to see who he was and then either tag him or do a 2-3 year extension.

I think 8-12 is very generous personally, as I’d take the following right now over him (no order):

Lamar

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Herbert

Hurts

Tua (not even a Tua fan)

Stroud

Dak

Goff

Purdy

Stafford

Rodgers

Love

…so that puts him at 15, where maybe you can argue him over a couple of guys on that list, but you could also argue Kyler, Cousins, and Carr above him too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Forge can dig up the thread from like 3 years ago where I laid out who I thought he was, which is better than everyone else said coming off of a 2020 rebound season, then it was immediately followed by a lost 2021 injured season, and most of us (myself included) said we wanted him to play out his fifth year just to see who he was and then either tag him or do a 2-3 year extension.

I think 8-12 is very generous personally, as I’d take the following right now over him (no order):

Lamar

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Herbert

Hurts

Tua (not even a Tua fan)

Stroud

Dak

Goff

Purdy

Stafford

Rodgers

Love

…so that puts him at 15, where maybe you can argue him over a couple of guys on that list, but you could also argue Kyler, Cousins, and Carr above him too.

Hurts gets carried by his team 

Love has only shown one year

Tua is on a loaded team like hurts 

stafford at the end of his career this one is a throw up not sure but could go either way 

1 hour ago, Vladimir L said:

Hurts gets carried by his team 

Love has only shown one year

Tua is on a loaded team like hurts 

stafford at the end of his career this one is a throw up not sure but could go either way 

Stafford has a ring

Love’s best season is better than Baker’s best

Holding Tua and Hurts’s casts against them is disingenuous and not quantifiable.

Don’t insult Baker like this

Andy never had talent and wasn’t an athlete would just play within a system. Baker came in as a top 10 draft pick and turned a horrible browns team around. Browns management hated him because was a bit of a child and wanted him to make the leap after year he didn’t recover fully from injury.

part of this is on baker for rushing himself back but the browns had to protect baker from baker 

He never had talent because he was a second round draft pick? 

36 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Stafford has a ring

Love’s best season is better than Baker’s best

Holding Tua and Hurts’s casts against them is disingenuous and not quantifiable.

Baker has had more than 1 good year and Love came in with 17 game seasons 

Flaco has a ring?? Stafford best years are behind him and he gets hurt too easily. 

Tua and Hurts have all pro wr and all pro oline their entire career.

Just now, Vladimir L said:

Baker has had more than 1 good year and Love came in with 17 game seasons 

Baker had an elite supporting cast in Cleveland too. You can’t have it both ways when you ding other people for their cast or lack of longevity but cherry pick on Baker.

Flaco has a ring?? Stafford best years are behind him and he gets hurt too easily. 

Stafford is on the decline and yet in 2023, they were darn close:

https://stathead.com/football/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2023&year_max=2023&player_id1=MayfBa00&player_id2=StafMa00

Tua and Hurts have all pro wr and all pro oline their entire career.

In Cleveland, Baker had multiple pro bowl OL, a RB, multiple pro bowl/former pro bowl receivers, and underwhelmed.

Pick a lane.

3 hours ago, Soko said:

I liked Baker’s arrogance when he came out, but over time it wore thin, especially as the team wasn’t winning/he wasn’t playing well/was hurt. Definitely soured on him as a player and as a football-leader.

But now? Dude sounds all class.

He's past his "woke up feeling dangerous" era, that's for sure.

Andy has a very weak arm and could just play within a system 

Baker came in as a talented player 

Andy Has a fine enough arm for NFL success which he had.

We have seen baker fail under different coaches and organizations so I’m trying to figure out how the “system” argument works for him and against Andy. 

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Lamar

Mahomes

Allen

Burrow

Herbert

Hurts

Tua (not even a Tua fan)

Stroud

Dak

Goff

Purdy

Stafford

Rodgers

Love

Definitely some questionable names on that list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

Definitely some questionable names on that list.

Feel free to question and dialogue away and be as specific as you want. I think ~15th in the league is about right, with as high as maybe 12 and as low as maybe 18 depending on the day or year.