The good, the bad, the we lost to the panthers

NickButera

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yep that's a possibility. It's absolutely imperative that we hire the right guy but the problem this time is that Telesco who is historically known for hiring bad coaches he's gonna get his third crack at it. 

Should've fired Chump Kelly and cleaned house when we had the chance before he gifted his locker room shuffle buddy a HC gig, thus sabotaging our GM search down to someone desperate that would say yes to having AP as HC. 

But some people still aren't ready for that conversation. I spent a lot of time and energy explaining Chump Kelly's background of institutional rot and nepotistic roots. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Should've fired Chump Kelly and cleaned house when we had the chance before he gifted his locker room shuffle buddy a HC gig, thus sabotaging our GM search down to someone desperate that would say yes to having AP as HC. 

But some people still aren't ready for that conversation. I spent a lot of time and energy explaining Chump Kelly's background of institutional rot and nepotistic roots. 

My thing though with that is who would you hired as a GM

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing though with that is who would you hired as a GM

We don't really have a list of people to go by as we didn't actually conduct any interviews aside from Telesco as far as I know. 

There's no telling who may have taken an interview or the job but for Chump and co sweethearting their buddy into the HC gig. 

When the initial part of your search is that compromised, it's hopeless to even opine as to what could've been. We could throw out names left and right, there's no telling who would've been interested because the damage was already done. 

9 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

We don't really have a list of people to go by as we didn't actually conduct any interviews aside from Telesco as far as I know. 

There's no telling who may have taken an interview or the job but for Chump and co sweethearting their buddy into the HC gig. 

When the initial part of your search is that compromised, it's hopeless to even opine as to what could've been. We could throw out names left and right, there's no telling who would've been interested because the damage was already done. 

I'm not like some crazy Telesco supporter or anything like that but my thing whenever somebody criticizes a decision that's made in the off-season I will always ask the question what will you have done. Because at least then there's a basis for what we're talking about. That's how I weigh if a decision is actually poor or not.

I think the bigger problem with that being said wasn't necessarily that we hired Telesco but that we hired a GM after hiring a head coach again

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I'm not like some crazy Telesco supporter or anything like that but my thing whenever somebody criticizes a decision that's made in the off-season I will always ask the question what will you have done. Because at least then there's a basis for what we're talking about. That's how I weigh if a decision is actually poor or not.

I think the bigger problem with that being said wasn't necessarily that we hired Telesco but that we hired a GM after hiring a head coach again

What I would have done was not started the offseason by allowing Chump and his band of merry misfits to hire a HC before a GM, precisely as you say. 

That move alone warped the entire thing. I'd love to say exactly who I would've hired, but like I said, no telling who was or would've been interested had we not already painted the GM position into a corner with a HC that nobody would've ever thought about hitching their wagon to. 

I can say Telesco is absolutely who I would not have hired given how things went with his last job. I'm not against second chances, but I'm not interested in being the guinea pig, and it's not as if Telesco was making these brilliantly savvy moves and just being hamstrung by poor ownership. His own performance was spotty at best.

Nobody spent  the last decade fawning over anything the Chargers were doing, that's for sure. Had he not dumb lucked his way into Herbert, nobody would be defending Telesco's track record. He got lucky Miami had gaga eyes for Tua and Burrow had an unreal rise up the board, because as everyone likes to say- Telesco stands his ground in the draft. That's great for the occasion he selects a fan favorite (*cough* Bowers *cough*) but it's not how you build a franchise up from the gutter.

Imagine a world where Burrow doesn't ascend and it's Tua and Herbert in round 1. Chargers draft Jordan Love? Skip out on a QB and roll with....well Tyrod went down so they would've been hosed. I'd say he goes with one of the busts in 2021 or maybe Sunshine Savior, but it's also possible Telesco doesn't survive a dud 2020 without Herbert being there and showing out. 

So he got lucky to be retained. Definitely not who I would've brought in to "fix" the broken mess we have. 

I can't give you who I would've hired as it's impossible to opine candidates. But I can absolutely give you what I wouldn't have done and detail exactly why lol. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

Not much good to talk about. Tre Tucker was solid as was AJ Cole.

Bad was both offense and defense. We know that our defense will normally keep us in games, but if they aren't getting stops we have no chance of beating anyone with how awful our offense is.

Offensively, I'm not sure when Getsy will figure this out, but we have to utilize the short passing game on early downs. Repeating the same 1st down - run, 2nd down - run, 3rd down pass sequence early in games is predictable and easy to stop. We haven't shown any ability to open holes for runs and that has to be obvious to Getsy or he's an idiot forcing something that isn't working. I have a feeling that we may see more frequent early down passes but this team is not capable of "smash mouth" football like AP wants. That's just not going to work against any team with how bad our OL is. 

Minshew missed on about 5 throws today, the worst being that miss-communication with Adams in the 4th. I'm not sure whose fault that was honestly. OL looked awful again, and Minshew was definitely feeling the pressure. I don't think starting AOC makes much of a difference. We're talking about AOC taking a bunch of sacks when blitzed vs Minshew making in-accurate throws under pressure and getting happy feet. Minshew is not the reason we lost this game. Nobody showed up to play today except for our punter. Classic post-2003 Raiders script. Lol.

Carlson has not seemed very reliable this year so far but I think we all just have really high expectations from him that even when he misses a 50 yard FG we are flabbergasted lol.

For ugly, I'd have to go with play-calling on both sides of the ball. Offensively we tried forcing the run game too much. Defensively, we looked very conservative with 4 man rushes throughout the game, and did not generate much pressure. Only time we blitzed was on 3rd and longs to force a short quick throw. Crosby and everyone on the DL looked tired with low energy. I've never seen Crosby play with such low energy before so I'm assuming his ankle is bothering him still or something. Hobbs had a few nice plays. Sucked to see Epps get hurt.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

what are you talking about, Tom was smart to let Jacobs walk, and hit a home run with Wilkins and Brock. JPJ and Glaze probably end up being good starters. 

15 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

What I would have done was not started the offseason by allowing Chump and his band of merry misfits to hire a HC before a GM, precisely as you say. 

That move alone warped the entire thing. I'd love to say exactly who I would've hired, but like I said, no telling who was or would've been interested had we not already painted the GM position into a corner with a HC that nobody would've ever thought about hitching their wagon to. 

Yeah but I'm not really talking about literally who was interested in us I'm saying who were the good candidates essentially is what I'm asking. But agree with basically everything you said if I knew what the alternative even was. There doesnt appear to be an alternative.

That said: I'm watching the Hondo Carpenter right now and he said exactly what I said he would about the whole AP "Business Decisions" comment LOL. He's walking back on Getsy though. Set the Defense has a freebie 😂😂😂

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

what are you talking about, Tom was smart to let Jacobs walk, and hit a home run with Wilkins and Brock. JPJ and Glaze probably end up being good starters. 

When your defense is citing rookies and projecting they'll, in fact, be good, you don't have a defense. Gotta do better than that. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly. A lot of people bought into the cheesy culture stuff with AP. It got him hired. He has no other tools in the bag. This offense is on his poor decision to hire Getsy.

I’ll still give AP the cleaning up the penalties. 
been 30 years of leading the league in penalties, and he actually has us playing disciplined.

but man we play uninspiring offensive football, run run hope DA is open. What a tough game to watch.

our D is nothing when Maxx isn’t 100%

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

No running game is killing this O. What good are all these weapons on O when we are dead last in rushing so D's can sell out the pass. 

That's another AP fault: poor player scheme evaluation

• If they knew they weren't gonna write Jacobs a blank check then they should've got an OC that doesn't run zone. Zamir White is not a zone running back. He was a power scheme running back in college
  • Getting an OC that runs an offense that emphasizes Deep Pass plays when you want to emphasize the run
  • Getting an OC from a failed offense and was previously fired
  • Waiting forever in the OC hiring process by taking your sweet time and getting to a point where the OC market dried up and then not even getting your first choice(who is also currently trash on the team he's on).

That's a red flag. We will blame not drafting a quarterback but that's a bigger red flag

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Bad 

• Trash defense 
  • Trash decision making
    • Not playing JPJ & Glaze until players were hurt
    • Using Minshew as a scapegoat for why there was only one pass attempt each drive
    • Calling Arend play on third and seven with the expectation to go for it on fourth down
    • Punting the ball down 20
    • Tyree Wilson
    • Running the ball early in the game when the defense wasn't stopping anyone

Did i miss anything?

• We need Wilson to step up without Koonce, and he was a ghost against the Panthers. He is looking more and more like a bust.
  • Zeus isn't him
  • Coaching sucks 
  • I think our defense is average to good. Depending on the opponent, but is overhyped by the fanbase
  • Maxx had his worst game in a long time. Sad to see him hurt and not making an impact

I agree with all your points. Pierce isn't some scumbag, I wouldn't fire him in the season. He's just over his head, I let him coach his team for a year. I would give Minshew 1-2 bad performances before I pull the plug. A little sooner than last year with Jimmy. At that point, the season will be about AOC development. Either he sinks or swims.  I would see how October goes before we determine if we deal Tae at the deadline. Either he sinks or swims. A blessing in disguise  would be: Maybe AOC shines Or he leads us to a good pick, same with Pierce remaining as coach. Both would get a fair shake. I would be annoyed for Marvin Lewis to get promoted and we will 7-8 games again and miss out on all the QBs again. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 2025 class is looking promising with Sanders, Ewers, Ward, Dart, Allar.

• Like 2