The NFL could learn something if the Browns lose next week

pf9

9 hours ago, pf9 said:

Think about this. The Browns probably wouldn't be where they are right now if the NFL had expanded their playoffs in 2002. You think with the increase of the number of divisions they would expand the playoffs then and there. Instead they kept the 12-team format by adding 2 more berths for division winners at the expense of wild cards.

Had the playoffs been expanded by at least 1 team per conference in 2002, the Browns would have been the 7th seed in 2007. The Browns would have probably built off the 2007 playoff appearance and made further appearances in the playoffs over the next 10 years.

Instead, because of the non-expansion, it turned out to be a disappointment that the Browns have not recovered from. And with the Browns likely to be first winless, tieless AFC team in 41 years, they could serve as an object lesson to the NFL to the point where the league finally expands the playoffs. It could be to 14 or preferably to 16 teams and eliminate the first round bye completely because that can prove to be just as much a problem for some teams. It's been at 12 teams for almost 3 decades. With what being a 10-win team on the outside looking in has done to the Browns too it's time to expand.

Acid is a hell of a drug. Merry Christmas. 

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Expanding the playoffs IMO, will just water down playoff games and subject the players to more injuries prior to the SB and the SB could easily become a 'who has the fewest injuries' deciding the game, with quite a few blowouts.

It will only be pure greed on the owner's part if they expand the playoffs, but it will certainly water down the product and have a very negative effect on the sport and its revenues.

But you aren’t adding rounds, only the number of teams in each round. Right now the maximum playoff games anyone can play is 4. That won’t change.

I’m personally in favour of 14 but not 16. I like the idea of only giving one team in each conference a bye week. 

9 hours ago, pf9 said:

Think about this. The Browns probably wouldn't be where they are right now if the NFL had expanded their playoffs in 2002. You think with the increase of the number of divisions they would expand the playoffs then and there. Instead they kept the 12-team format by adding 2 more berths for division winners at the expense of wild cards.

Had the playoffs been expanded by at least 1 team per conference in 2002, the Browns would have been the 7th seed in 2007. The Browns would have probably built off the 2007 playoff appearance and made further appearances in the playoffs over the next 10 years.

Instead, because of the non-expansion, it turned out to be a disappointment that the Browns have not recovered from. And with the Browns likely to be first winless, tieless AFC team in 41 years, they could serve as an object lesson to the NFL to the point where the league finally expands the playoffs. It could be to 14 or preferably to 16 teams and eliminate the first round bye completely because that can prove to be just as much a problem for some teams. It's been at 12 teams for almost 3 decades. With what being a 10-win team on the outside looking in has done to the Browns too it's time to expand.

Eggnog?

How about the Browns try sustaining some stability in the FO before they do anything?  That sounds like a better theory to me anyhow...but that's just me.

The thing I learned from the 0-15 Browns is that coaching continuity is important, drafting well is a must, the need for at minimum, an average starting QB and good balance in all aspects of the game.

That's a very basic way of things, but if they can do that, they'll at least win a few games.

23 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the only thing learned from the Browns is that NFL expansion has diluted the NFL.

the Browns and Texans probably didn't have to happen.

No, no. 32 works perfectly for scheduling, divisions, bye weeks etc. Also, having some bad teams really isn’t a bad thing and the Texans aren’t even that bad over the last decade. 

I don't really understand the playoff angle, but I will say that the Browns dug this grave themselves.  Next time, hire a competent GM, who will hire a competent coach, who will draft a competent quarterback, then you might win a handful of games. 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, vikingsrule said:

I think the only thing learned from the Browns is that NFL expansion has diluted the NFL.

the Browns and Texans probably didn't have to happen.

I don't believe that, the Texans have been a pretty competitive team for the better part of the last decade.  And honestly, the Browns have a pretty solid nucleus; they're just stuck with a clueless head coach who seems pretty content with an incompetent quarterback.  As I've said, I have no doubt Cody Kessler could have managed 5-6 wins with that team.

I will say that both supposed offensive gurus O'Brien and Hue should be fired after this year. 

Archived