2024 GDT Week #3 Steelers 3-0 Visit the Colts 1-2

https://steelersnow.com/colts-lb-rips-najee-harris-after-pregame-gesture-kid-is-soft/

Steelers Gameday

Colts LB Rips Najee Harris after Pregame Gesture: ‘Kid Is Soft’

Indianapolis Colts LB Zaire Franklin ripped Pittsburgh Steelers RB Najee Harris for his pregame gesture before the Colts win on Sunday.

ff41332fbad8f10d4363e2b35bc3c492?s=46&d=

Published

20 hours ago 

on

September 29, 2024

By

Alan Saunders 
Colts Linebacker Zaire Franklin
Indianapolis Colts linebacker Zaire Franklin runs out of the tunnel before a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Dec. 16, 2023. -- Ed Thompson / Steelers Now

INDIANAPOLIS — Pittsburgh Steelers running back Najee Harris starting Sunday’s game against the Indianapolis Colts by poking the bear, coming of out of the tunnel before the game with two middle fingers held high toward the blue-clad home faithful.

MUST WATCH College Football This Week w/ Crissy Froyd! | Daily Sports Rush

Unmute

00:47
/
01:52

Colts linebacker Zaire Franklin got the last laugh, though. After the Colts beat the Steelers, 27-24 on Sunday, Franklin took to X to call out Harris.

“Kid is soft,” Franklin wrote. “84 run harder.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Snack said:

There is more to the whole story on why our run defense had its worst day this season but no Highsmith is tops on the list.

You sure there is more to the story? It just really sounds like OLB is the most pivotal position to stopping the run on this defense. I never knew that. You would think interior DL, ILBs and Safeties would be more paramount compared to outside/edge players. Oh well, I need to study up…obviously. They run at TJ all the time, incidentally, it’s one of the main ways to try and nullify an elite pass rusher from pinning his ears back. 

2 hours ago, rlon said:

You sure there is more to the story? It just really sounds like OLB is the most pivotal position to stopping the run on this defense. I never knew that. You would think interior DL, ILBs and Safeties would be more paramount compared to outside/edge players. Oh well, I need to study up…obviously. They run at TJ all the time, incidentally, it’s one of the main ways to try and nullify an elite pass rusher from pinning his ears back. 

Yes I'm 100% positive of what I said.  Feel free to go over the all 22 and see how much they ran right at herbig.  I'm as big a fan of his as anyone's but he is not Highsmith when it comes to run support and the colts specifically went after him because of it. 

Yes the tackles, lbs, and safeties have their part as well.  But the colts picked on a weak link and it showed. If you can't see that then maybe you do need to study up. 

• Like 3

So first of all, I want to address something.I said yesterday. I said I was still undecided about Justin Fields.

because I was at my son's football game yesterday.I did not get to see all of the Steelers game. 

I went back and watched the second half. There's obviously some mistakes on offense if got to clean uclebut man i'm really starting to think justin fields is the dude.  312 passing yards and 3 combined 2 TDs. If our defense had played even a little bit better in this game we win. Which admittedly is something several people. 

sometimes it just takes a guy moving to a new team to get t he most out of them and may be Fields is just the latest example of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

Yes I'm 100% positive of what I said.  Feel free to go over the all 22 and see how much they ran right at herbig.  I'm as big a fan of his as anyone's but he is not Highsmith when it comes to run support and the colts specifically went after him because of it. 

Yes the tackles, lbs, and safeties have their part as well.  But the colts picked on a weak link and it showed. If you can't see that then maybe you do need to study up. 

Shocker that War liked this…lol. Keep piggy backing boys. Apparently, it’s an elite defense, but only with  AH in there. Once Herbig is in it’s prone to him being targeted, and that is what centrally happened yesterday. All we needed was Highsmith, and a coach that has an ‘in game’ clue, I’d add. 

Listen, I’m not trying to defend Najee as much as I am working to take a jab at the coaching…

But LaFluer had Malik Willis around for 3 weeks and installed the Navy offense in 7 days to success.

We are sitting here yelling at Najee about fit because his coach calls multiple tosses a games. 

The best coaches maximize the talent around them — they don’t need to wait for 3 years to install the right talent. Hard to say Smith has done that for anyone so far on this offense. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Listen, I’m not trying to defend Najee as much as I am working to take a jab at the coaching…

But LaFluer had Malik Willis around for 3 weeks and installed the Navy offense in 7 days to success.

We are sitting here yelling at Najee about fit because his coach calls multiple tosses a games. 

The best coaches maximize the talent around them — they don’t need to wait for 3 years to install the right talent. Hard to say Smith has done that for anyone so far on this offense. 

I think it’s hard for me to really heavily criticize Smith because of how bad it was under Canada. He’s made the offense a lot more fun for me to watch. He absolutely has to step his game up. I think Najee being the only healthy back is hindering the playcalling to an extent too. He doesn’t seem to play well out of the gun(that’s just my eye test tho). Fields is best in the gun. I think we’d have had a much better shot at winning if Patterson doesn’t get hurt. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, August4th said:

I think Najee is headed towards the "spends two years on a couple teams practice squad before he retires" phase of his career. He's a old 26 for RB and those guys fall off quickly after 25.

might not be trent richardson.2 but I doubt he will break out and be what his draft stock was. If he goes to the proper scheme with good OL, then he will have 1000 yard seasons no problem 

will he pick the right team or will the wrong team offer him more $

23 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

might not be trent richardson.2 but I doubt he will break out and be what his draft stock was. If he goes to the proper scheme with good OL, then he will have 1000 yard seasons no problem 

will he pick the right team or will the wrong team offer him more $

I really don’t see Najee being a feature back in many, if any, modern NFL schemes. I’m sure he would have done well behind the 90s Cowboy line. The OL is definitely a huge concern right now. Could interior line be on the trade deadline menu before receiver now? And, in 2005, does a 1 year 5 million dollar deal now sound about right for Daniels? Is he even going to be ready to play? 

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Najee being the only healthy back is hindering the playcalling to an extent too. He doesn’t seem to play well out of the gun(that’s just my eye test tho). Fields is best in the gun. I think we’d have had a much better shot at winning if Patterson doesn’t get hurt. 

100% agreed. This point on Fields was even pointed out a few times in game and asked to not put Fields back to the defense. And if Najee's best attribute is running downhill out of a deep set that doesn't blend.

Although its interesting to look at two previous RB's under Smith and Henry and Robinson have both had success running from the gun and deep sets.

I dunno though. I just see continual blame of coaching, and like...I'm with you on the front of dealing with Smith. Like, when players have similar issues over multiple coordinators (as Najee is having with struggling to hit holes, get momentum downhill, ect), then maybe it is just the player.

In the end though this entire game was a mess and just turn the page and move on TBH.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

I didn't say Fields isn't good enough  what I am saying is Wilson isn't the Savior. For me, I'm still undecided on Fields. I agree the defense was a serious let down and part of me still wonders if that has more to do with Austin's preparations and playcalling than the players on the field (to an extent).

Fields may be the future, I just am not ready to say that. As for this game I'm not burning it down, it's one loss, albeit a bad one.

Fair enough...but until the offseason, we won't be making any decisions, anyway, so while you may not be quite sold on Fields yet, talking about 'acquiring" a franchise QB in order to win a SB, I don't believe, should even be broached at this point, since Fields may turn into that Franchise QB.

We were spoiled with having a top 5 for over a dozen seasons; IMO, we need to be prepared to have, say, a top 12-14 QB, and build around him.  I'm confident the OL will gel by next season, and if we can upgrade our RB, and WRs, and get our D back to playing as a top 5 unit in the league, we might just have enough to win a SB, with that type of 'team build', and I feel pretty good that 'stealing' a 25 YO legit starting QB, as we've done, will take us through the next decade of playoff-level football.  I'm projecting a bit, but really, no more than you calling for a franchise QB, after just 4 games, but it's good to see you are at least willing to potentially be open to the idea, that Fields may have a shot at becoming our Franchise QB--as the saying goes...time will tell, of course.

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 1