Week 5: VIKINGS (4-0) vs. Jets (2-2)

swede700

interesting point i just read from Eric Mangini, former Jets coach.

Woody Johnson was the US Ambassador to the UK so had many friends and business allies in London. who then watched Johnson's team get beat.

that angered Johnson.

Saleh is the third coach in this past decade to be fired after his team lost in London.

The Oakland Raiders terminated Dennis Allen in 2014, following an 0-4 start and loss to the Miami Dolphins at Wembley Stadium. Miami fired Joe Philbin after his 1-3 Dolphins lost in 2015 to the Jets, also at Wembley.

NBCNews.com

Kevin O'Connell, 2-0 in London, appears safe this week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

Saleh is the third coach in this past decade to be fired after his team lost in London.

The Oakland Raiders terminated Dennis Allen in 2014, following an 0-4 start and loss to the Miami Dolphins at Wembley Stadium. Miami fired Joe Philbin after his 1-3 Dolphins lost in 2015 to the Jets, also at Wembley.

NBCNews.com

Kevin O'Connell, 2-0 in London, appears safe this week.

Guess it's due to the bye week being after all London games

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

interesting point i just read from Eric Mangini, former Jets coach.

Woody Johnson was the US Ambassador to the UK so had many friends and business allies in London. who then watched Johnson's team get beat.

that angered Johnson.

That would be an all-time stupid reason for firing a coach. Even if it factored into the decision, just a tiny bit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Jets aren't on a bye.  They're playing on Monday.

I guess they really didn't want the bye week after the international game.

Not sure why they wouldn't the team is gonna be jet lagged for mnf

Well...I guess you can't fire your starting QB when his name is Aaron Rodgers!  Kurt Warner said it Sunday, and he's exactly right.  Rodgers doesn't want to play in an offense where there is pre snap movement and more timing routes being run by the receivers.  He has always gotten away with it by playing playground QB, extending plays with his legs and being able to put the ball on his receivers with super human accuracy. Well, we have seen his 40 year old arm and legs aren't what they used to be.

He would be an utter failure in the KOC system. But, go ahead. Fire the head coach and not the unproductive, petulant 40 year old  child playing QB!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Well...I guess you can't fire your starting QB when his name is Aaron Rodgers!  Kurt Warner said it Sunday, and he's exactly right.  Rodgers doesn't want to play in an offense where there is pre snap movement and more timing routes being run by the receivers.  He has always gotten away with it by playing playground QB, extending plays with his legs and being able to put the ball on his receivers with super human accuracy. Well, we have seen his 40 year old arm and legs aren't what they used to be.

He would be an utter failure in the KOC system. But, go ahead. Fire the head coach and not the unproductive, petulant 40 year old  child playing QB!

While I don't think I can really defend Saleh since I don't find him all that impressive, I think Aaron Rodgers' main difficulty in life as well as in football is that he, unfortunately, always thinks he's the smartest person in the room. It seems to be reflective of all his relationships (at least IMO, I don't know his situations, it's just my perception), even those with his own family. He tries to display humility at times, but it seems forced when he does.

In support of that, to me anyway, I find it odd that every time I watch him play, either teammates or the announcers always have to bring up how "he's a great teammate in the room."  Rich and Kurt relayed that again this last weekend...and it seems to happen often.  IMO, if you are truly a great teammate, no one would need to feel the effort to tell everyone that you are.  It's the same way in regular life, if you're a great guy or a nice guy, people shouldn't feel the need to tell everyone you are, they should already know it. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports reports that Saleh was considering firing offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett in the wake of the team’s loss to the Vikings in Week Five. Passing game coordinator Todd Downing would likely have been the choice to replace Hackett.

Firing Hackett likely would have ruffled some feathers with quarterback Aaron Rodgers as their past relationship from Green Bay was seen as the reason why Hackett got the job with the Jets in the first place. Jets owner Woody Johnson said on Tuesday that he did not speak to Rodgers about firing Saleh before choosing to part ways with the head coach, but Johnson might have taken Rodgers’s feelings for Hackett into account if there were issues with the relationships on the coaching staff.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-robert-saleh-considered-firing-nathaniel-hackett-before-being-fired

plot thickening....

@rickyt31: "Out of all the horrible coaches we've had, we have never fired a coach during the season. Something happened."

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1