5 Up and 5 Down Week 7 vs Jets

JustPlainNasty

Please add/make your own 5up 5 Down or 5 up 3 Down (whatever version u prefer)

5 UP

1. Beanie Bishop - making plays when they were presented to him. Its kind of a big hurdle for a young player to break through the trusting your instincts and just feeling the game. Not saying to expect it every time but he broke the seal. 

2.  Special Teams - Starting with punt and kick coverage actually for me ... Peyton Wilson has been very consistent in coverage teams, Jonathan Ward was fired up and showed very glad we have him on the 53 as i felt he deserved it and was an asset for us in RB depth. Terrell Edmunds, and Ive liked Rodney Williams all along. The fact that our kick blocking is even a concern is outstanding, Miles Killebrew, Minkah, (Sutton when he comes back), Dean Lowery with the block, Cam, I think Monty Adams has contributed previously as well. On top of all of that Boz and Ive always wondered how in the world Waitmann has not kept a job. 

3. Alex Highsmith - obviously under appreciated as basically no one has mentioned him and his return. He was causing disruption and selling out all night. He didnt need to get home as Rodgers I felt was consistently reacting to Highsmith and rushing his throws.

4. Keanu Benton had a wise game, its not always about getting the tackle or sack. 

5. Sticking to Your Guns ...and drafting another Olineman / Guard in the 4th round.  Omar, Mike, Andy and the scouting / draft team for believing their eyes, board and gut and drafting Mason McCormick. 

5 DOWN

1. Calvin Austin's drop 

2. Didn't love Russ on the sneaks, I get the reasons for not taking him out, but it seems the actual injury was so connected to that same kind of activity. 

3. Broderick Jones..his game wasnt horrible ..(Im just searching for things of concern.) He has the ability, but he needs to work really really really hard on technique in the offseason as his hands and feet are not in sync at all. He's struggling to walk and chew gum at the same time. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

5 UP

1. Beanie Bishop - making plays when they were presented to him. Its kind of a big hurdle for a young player to break through the trusting your instincts and just feeling the game. Not saying to expect it every time but he broke the seal. 

2.  Special Teams - Starting with punt and kick coverage actually for me ... Peyton Wilson has been very consistent in coverage teams, Jonathan Ward was fired up and showed very glad we have him on the 53 as i felt he deserved it and was an asset for us in RB depth. Terrell Edmunds, and Ive liked Rodney Williams all along. The fact that our kick blocking is even a concern is outstanding, Miles Killebrew, Minkah, (Sutton when he comes back), Dean Lowery with the block, Cam, I think Monty Adams has contributed previously as well. On top of all of that Boz and Ive always wondered how in the world Waitmann has not kept a job. 

3. Alex Highsmith - obviously under appreciated as basically no one has mentioned him and his return. He was causing disruption and selling out all night. He didnt need to get home as Rodgers I felt was consistently reacting to Highsmith and rushing his throws.

4. Keanu Benton had a wise game, its not always about getting the tackle or sack. 

5. Sticking to Your Guns ...and drafting another Olineman / Guard in the 4th round.  Omar, Mike, Andy and the scouting / draft team for believing their eyes, board and gut and drafting Mason McCormick. 

5 DOWN

1. Calvin Austin's drop 

2. Didn't love Russ on the sneaks, I get the reasons for not taking him out, but it seems the actual injury was so connected to that same kind of activity. 

3. Broderick Jones..his game wasnt horrible ..(Im just searching for things of concern.) He has the ability, but he needs to work really really really hard on technique in the offseason as his hands and feet are not in sync at all. He's struggling to walk and chew gum at the same time. 

I'm hoping some confidence for Beanie is all that was needed.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I'm hoping some confidence for Beanie is all that was needed.

Wouldn't it be great if Sutton was able to be the extra safety and an upgrade upon Kazee and if Beanie really held down the slot. He'd have to have another strong game against the Giants to start thinking about said approach...

4 minutes ago, rlon said:

Wouldn't it be great if Sutton was able to be the extra safety and an upgrade upon Kazee and if Beanie really held down the slot. He'd have to have another strong game against the Giants to start thinking about said approach...

Beanie continuing his play (maybe not likely) and Sutton returning and playing well (who knows) could allow some player movement with them swapping looks occasionally. Maybe you do some rotation to keep them fresh. It's also just some protection from injury.

20 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Disagree with the bold. He was a negative this game, especially in the pass game. But yea his hands and feet aren't in sync, he plays with his shoulders over his toes and hips behind the heels. It's really terrible. I call it the athlete trying to block rather than a blocker who's an athlete (like Fautanu).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Disagree with the bold. He was a negative this game, especially in the pass game. But yea his hands and feet aren't in sync, he plays with his shoulders over his toes and hips behind the heels. It's really terrible. I call it the athlete trying to block rather than a blocker who's an athlete (like Fautanu).

Which was the call on him coming out of college.  It is pretty bad to be in your 2nd year and have no technique and seemingly no effort to get any.  Could be a bust

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Which was the call on him coming out of college.  It is pretty bad to be in your 2nd year and have no technique and seemingly no effort to get any.  Could be a bust

Sadly I think he's trending that way. And I wouldn't blame the 'wrong side' thing either. These are things you either do or don't do regardless of which side you are on. This is why I'm more of a 'draft a technically sound' kinda guy. You can do so much to 'cover' for a lack of athleticism (chippers, inside help, getting them really good at getting out of their stance) but when a guy doesn't have the technique, it's a real uphill battle.

Of course, I also blame the NFL partially as this is an issue all over the NFL because of the lack of padded work and offseason work with teams. They get so much less time, especially as linemen, to work in the contact issues to improve. And you need contact at their spots. I would send him to Duke Manyweather for some work, I would be getting as many people on the phone as possible to work with him.

• Like 3

Mike Williams would absolutely be an upgrade over Van Jefferson and is worth tossing a 7th round pick or late pick swap to the Jets for. Not to mention he’s a really good fit for Russ. I was a bit on the fence about acquiring him but after Russ’s promising debut I think it’s a no brainer. 

His tape on the Jets so far has not been great, but he was slowly ramped up and was barely running any routes the first 3 games of the season and you have to imagine there’s some room for improvement coming off the ACL.

As I said before, I don’t think he’s really a big needle moving acquisition. But for the cost and the fit with Russ I do think it’s a move I would make.

The leaping and contested catch ability is still there

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Mike Williams would absolutely be an upgrade over Van Jefferson and is worth tossing a 7th round pick or late pick swap to the Jets for. Not to mention he’s a really good fit for Russ. I was a bit on the fence about acquiring him but after Russ’s promising debut I think it’s a no brainer. 

His tape on the Jets so far has not been great, but he was slowly ramped up and was barely running any routes the first 3 games of the season and you have to imagine there’s some room for improvement coming off the ACL.

As I said before, I don’t think he’s really a big needle moving acquisition. But for the cost and the fit with Russ I do think it’s a move I would make.

I wouldn't be upset with him. Van Jefferson brings almost nothing to the table. At least Williams is a good combat catch guy. 

17 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Please add/make your own 5up 5 Down or 5 up 3 Down (whatever version u prefer)

5 UP

Breakout game for Beanie that hopefully helps him grow. Geat first INT that was the catalyst for changing the game. I am not sure it would have gone as it did if he doesn't make that play. The second INT he was beat and Wilson didn't catch it. However, sometimes it's good to be lucky too! 

I have been critical of the Steelers special teams, but they have been pretty dominant with kick blocking and seem to have a definitie edge and swagger under Danny Smith. I was not a fan, but he has raised the level of performance and have these guys believing and wanting to play special teams. 

I think his absence showed his worth. TJ Watt is Batman and Alex and Nick are definite Robin's. His impact in the ground game was seen. Good lord what is defined as a hold. I saw him hog tied better than some steers at a rodeo. 

NG are typically not recognized, but he did a good job of not getting pushed and jamming up the middle. I think the entire interior DL was effective here: Cam, Larry, Benton, and Dean.

I gotta give Center Ryan McCullom some love here.  For a third team Center, he has been pretty darn good. He has not been dominant, but certainly not a liability either. No rolled snaps and decent blocking. The effort and attitude is there. Bit of a knee jerk reaction, but I will go on a limb and say he looks better than Mason Cole did much of last season. 

pittsburgh-steelers-center-ryan-mccollum

5 DOWN

1. Calvin Austin's drop 

That was almost a game changer the other way. After that drop, the Jets drov e down and scored. He didn't play badly, but that is one of those typical plays that have thrawrted Steelers drives the past several seasons. It is the differnce between more attempts at extending  a drive and often the difference between TD's and FG's and punts. Fortunately, thisd didn't hurt us. 

12486789_web1_steelersweb.jpg

"Scared money don't make money!"😁Seriously, I agree. I would have put Justin in in those circumstances just to keep opponents thinking. Then again, he has struggled with QB and Center exchanges. Maybe he was scared $$$ with no Justin?

Definitly not ready to write this kid off. He is also being trashed for being a team player. His age is what helps as it may take another off-season for him to get stronger, improve techniqu and mature to the NFL game. He's not  lighting it up, but they aren't getting him help either. It took Dan Moore four season's to become repectable. It will probably take him three. He is 23 and will only be 24 next season. His best football is still in front of him. He needs coaching as well. 

4.  The inconsistency of the officiating. This makes me sick with the technology available and the amount of inconsistent calls. The NFL always talks about the integrity of the game, but when it comes to officiating, there is no accountability. Pickens was mugged on several throws and yet no flag. He caught a few anyways, but....😠😡Then the blatant rodeoing by OL's. I get that you could call holding every play, but set a standard. We say Watt getting tackled every game. This game I saw how Highsmith with getting hooked, tackled, and outright grabbed. 

1200px-NFL_Referees_(15391686440).jpg

5. Injuries. Man can we catch a few breaks opportunities here. We lost Johnson on the corner and Mon Adams on the DL.....

th?id=OIP.pXvuaVszJc3BdyukZCgbHAHaFr&pid

17 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

finally a game like this, been a while vs a good opponentB|

We have been waiting for some seasons for this team to play anything near a complete game for quite a while. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I didnt do a deep dive before i made my post. I did go back a little and watch the first series and focus on him. I have some notes, id like to take a look at the rest if i get a chance. Ive seen worse from him is I guess what i was suggesting but there was noticeable concerns.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I wonder too about his strength training. I fear he is relying on natural strength more so than amping up for what is needed to compete at this level. There is doing what is asked of you/ required and then going above any beyond, im guessing he falls under the former category. 

Its kind of crazy to be looking at the same play / window and noticing how square Dan Moore is and stays throughout the play UNDER CONTROL vs Jones flailing all over the place and whipping around consistently. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Staying healthy is such a big question with Mike Will.  I think we get one more good bite of what Russ can do with the current offense and then possibly they will be even more aggressive before the trade deadline as far as who they are chasing. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

ackle or trades? Or will Khan let the draft pick play out his contract like colbert would have?

12 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I wonder too about his strength training. I fear he is relying on natural strength more so than amping up for what is needed to compete at this level. There is doing what is asked of you/ required and then going above any beyond, im guessing he falls under the former category. 

Its kind of crazy to be looking at the same play / window and noticing how square Dan Moore is and stays throughout the play UNDER CONTROL vs Jones flailing all over the place and whipping around consistently. 

this isn't Meyers fault then IMO, it's all on jones. Moore has improved, jones has regressed. How much is this because of the injured elbow though?