2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

I think if we can trade with Colts, we're going to come away with Rosen. I can see the Giants going Darnold or franchise LT to protect Eli and their future QB. 

When it comes to him vs Darnold, Darnold wins the press responses and health battle. Giants will likely go for him if the Browns don't. 

It just hit me how this offseason could be the most important offseason in franchise history (more realistically since 2000). 

• Tom Brady is 40 years old without a clear successor.  
  • The Patriots may very well lose both Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia this offseason. 
  • Belichick is 65 years old. Will he retire when Brady does?

With the Miami Dolphins in limbo and the Buffalo Bills "tank" gone wrong, we're really the one team who has went according to plan. We knew we wouldn't be a playoff team, but we competed well and developed our youth. Now we have loads of money and draft capital to keep building our foundation and (hopefully) a winning culture. Finding a franchise QB could set us up for years to come. We really need to clean up. 

36 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I think if we can trade with Colts, we're going to come away with Rosen. I can see the Giants going Darnold or franchise LT to protect Eli and their future QB. 

When it comes to him vs Darnold, Darnold wins the press responses and health battle. Giants will likely go for him if the Browns don't. 

I think the Giants are pretty much a lock to go QB unless they think Webb is the answer, which they likely don't.  

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think the Giants are pretty much a lock to go QB unless they think Webb is the answer, which they likely don't.  

Not completely. Eli very well might stay and they are a win now team. They can trade back and add 2 OLineman in the 1st few picks and immediately when healthy are a team to beat. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Not completely. Eli very well might stay and they are a win now team. They can trade back and add 2 OLineman in the 1st few picks and immediately when healthy are a team to beat. 

Eli is 37 in two days.  Even if they are win now, they rarely have a top 5 pick.  They need to find the future at QB.  Eli can still play for a year or two.  A new regime is walking in.  They're going to draft a QB.  It's inevitable.  They also don't have the cap to make a run at a guy like Cousins.  They'll take the QB they want, re-sign Pugh, and add lineman in the draft.  It's a relatively deep draft for o-line; especially at center.  They'll be fine. 

I say build 1 more year.

If we can trade down and add a first next year I think its a better situation. Let the super needy teams fight for this years qb crop.

Let go of Petty, sign a guy like Bridgewater and maybe give Mccown another year. Then get the other pieces we need at OL, CB and a pass rusher.

Our next big date is January 15th this is the day college players need to declare by. I've been saying I think Darnold will come out but I'm not as confident anymore. If he stays that throws the whole top of the draft for a loop. If he does come out I think we may be more relaxed in finding a FA QB.

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

We can't keep paying the QB of the future forward. The time to strike is this year's draft. Both Jackson and Mayfield should be available at six. Pick one and start the development process.

No interest in Jackson in the top 10. His playmaking ability is spectacular and I do see him as Michael Vick 2.0. Vick was my favorite QB in Madden, but it's hard to find sustained success with run-first QBs. Cam still runs plenty, but he's 6'5" 245. Jackson won't be able to take the type of hits that Cam did early in his career, and that potential for injury will stunt his growth. It would be fun for a few years, but I'm looking for a 15 year QB if I'm using that top pick on a guy. 

I need to look more in depth at Allen and Mayfield, but I get the sense that they're worth top 10 risks. I think Mayfield can come in and start in this offense day 1, just question his upside. I think Allen needs time, but has the upside of Ben Roethlisberger. 

I think the franchise as a whole is done with gap QBs. We can’t start a McCown type guy next year. We need a big move. Sign Cousins, trade up for Rosen or draft a qb that falls to 6 and start them. I just for some reason see us drafting a QB at 6 and benching them all year. Bc that’s what the past has shown us. I have zero confidence in Bowles starting a young QB.

There are a lot of wild cards IMO ahead of us in the draft. 

1. You have Cleveland picking twice.  They kept Jackson.  They have holes everywhere.  Do they think Kizer can develop?

2. NYG are they going to try and make one last run with Eli?  They have a 2 year window to do so I think and grabbing a LT or a guy like Barkely can help them do so.

3. Colts - How bad is Luck's shoulder?

4. Denver - crazy how they stomped us and they are picking ahead of us.  Do they think Lynch is the guy?  He is only 23 - had an decent game vs the KC in week 17. 

I think arguments can be made for each taking a QB or not taking a QB.  Either way, we all know if both Rosen and Darnold come out neither makes it to 6 so Mac needs to be prepared to move up.  Going to be very interesting to say the least.  Either way we need to get our hands on either Rosen, Darnold (move up) or Allen (perhaps move out of top 10) IMO. 

Mac wont go out there and get into a bidding war over Cousins, he also wont trade the house for a QB early. Its completely against his philosophy.

I can see him signing someone with a high ceiling and low cost and then waiting to see who falls to us in the draft, hence my Bridgewater comment.

I'm certain if his choice is a risky top 10 QB or a starting tackle hes going tackle.

Archived