2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

With his job on the line, you don't think he will go high for a QB? 

I think he created this plan last year for the cap space and draft picks, and he protected himself by doing this. He's able to pitch the different ways to finally get a QB via trade, draft, or Free agency. We can aim for McCarron, Alex Smith, A Vikings QB, Cousins, and others and not hurt our cap. Also come away with almost any rookie QB in a potentially nice draft class. If he doesn't find a QB and we come up short again, him & bowles are gone. Picking up a QB with a future or win now shot would buy him some more time.

18 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

Mac wont go out there and get into a bidding war over Cousins, he also wont trade the house for a QB early. Its completely against his philosophy.

I can see him signing someone with a high ceiling and low cost and then waiting to see who falls to us in the draft, hence my Bridgewater comment.

I'm certain if his choice is a risky top 10 QB or a starting tackle hes going tackle.

I don’t think this off season is like our other off seasons. I think Macc knows he has to make something happen. 3 offseason and nothing. He might have got extended but he can be fired too. We HAVE to spend a good amount of that cap money to hit the cap floor, so moves have to be made. We also have 4 valuable draft picks. Ideally we can get a QB in FA so we can keep those picks to add young talent along with solving QB.

27 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

Mac wont go out there and get into a bidding war over Cousins, he also wont trade the house for a QB early. Its completely against his philosophy.

I can see him signing someone with a high ceiling and low cost and then waiting to see who falls to us in the draft, hence my Bridgewater comment.

I'm certain if his choice is a risky top 10 QB or a starting tackle hes going tackle.

I disagree.  I think he'll get into a bidding war with Cousins if it's reasonable.  The guy's job is on the line for starters.  But if he signs Cousins, he'd still have at least 60 mil to spend in FA plus a three very good draft picks.  He could do a lot of damage if one off-season and build a competitor for years.  

6 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I disagree.  I think he'll get into a bidding war with Cousins if it's reasonable.  The guy's job is on the line for starters.  But if he signs Cousins, he'd still have at least 60 mil to spend in FA plus a three very good draft picks.  He could do a lot of damage if one off-season and build a competitor for years.  

He has thrown out money to players let’s not forget. Vernon and Osemele he put big offers out there for.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He has thrown out money to players let’s not forget. Vernon and Osemele he put big offers out there for.

Exactly.  If someone wants to pay Cousins 35 mil a year, they can do it.  But if he'll come reasonably priced, Mac is making a competitive offer.

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

That is my worry also, I was just going bring that up, but you beat me to the punch. There will be teams for sure that will try to get one of those teams picks. We know it is almost certain that the Browns & Denver  will go QB, and there still a strong chance the Giants will also go QB, Eli is starting to slip. Nothing is going to happen till the FA period starts and that is a long way off it don't start till March 9 2018.

This is why I hope Denver signs Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater, Keemun, etc...

I think Elway is done with young QBs right now. 

Giants may keep Eli, may not but if they do they won’t draft a QB in the top 3 over McGlinchey and adding another OL prospect in round 2. They could be a playoff team with that set up but it depends on the coach they hire, hopefully it’s a defensive minded head coach as they tend to prefer vet QBs. 

Colts should go OL or EDGE but I think we could make a deal with them without giving up much.

Cleveland will only use 1 of 2 top 4 picks on a QB. 

So potentially only 1 QB could go top 5 which means teams will def be looking to jump us in that case, so we might have to move up to secure our guy which I’m all for.

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

This is why I hope Denver signs Cousins, Smith, Bridgewater, Keemun, etc...

I think Elway is done with young QBs right now. 

Giants may keep Eli, may not but if they do they won’t draft a QB in the top 3 over McGlinchey and adding another OL prospect in round 2. They could be a playoff team with that set up but it depends on the coach they hire, hopefully it’s a defensive minded head coach as they tend to prefer vet QBs. 

Colts should go OL or EDGE but I think we could make a deal with them without giving up much.

Cleveland will only use 1 of 2 top 4 picks on a QB. 

So potentially only 1 QB could go top 5 which means teams will def be looking to jump us in that case, so we might have to move up to secure our guy which I’m all for.

We can go back and forth on this and likely will, but I think there's zero chance the Giants don't go QB at this point.  They basically never have top 5 picks.  For as bad as their o-line has been, they'll re-sign Pugh and likely Greco as well.  Pugh can start LT in a pinch if needed, but I think they're the type to go out and make a Kelvin Beachum like trade and get a vet LT who can hold the fort down for a year or two.  I can tell you that if they don't go QB, the fans will be livid.

Hercules Mata'afa declared.  I could see him being a Mac target in round 2 if he's still there.  Kind of a tweener, but can play with his hand in the dirt in 4-3 fronts or stand up as an edge.  Just a versatile guy with power and speed to get to the QB.

33 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I want Quenton Nelson

I like the guy a lot too. I just can’t get behind choosing a G at 6. In a trade back scenario I’m all for it. I wouldn’t hate the pick if he was chosen at 6, I just know I’d rather someone else on the board.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

We can go back and forth on this and likely will, but I think there's zero chance the Giants don't go QB at this point.  They basically never have top 5 picks.  For as bad as their o-line has been, they'll re-sign Pugh and likely Greco as well.  Pugh can start LT in a pinch if needed, but I think they're the type to go out and make a Kelvin Beachum like trade and get a vet LT who can hold the fort down for a year or two.  I can tell you that if they don't go QB, the fans will be livid.

All depends on what their new GM wants to do but yeah if there’s a time to get your QB it’s now for them. I guess we’ll know if Eli is still a Giant come March. 

28 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Hercules Mata'afa declared.  I could see him being a Mac target in round 2 if he's still there.  Kind of a tweener, but can play with his hand in the dirt in 4-3 fronts or stand up as an edge.  Just a versatile guy with power and speed to get to the QB.

Macc did scout a Washington State game this year so who knows. 

One thing we know he said he’ll always draft an EDGE and OL almost every year.

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Macc did scout a Washington State game this year so who knows. 

One thing we know he said he’ll always draft an EDGE and OL almost every year.

Edge has to be drafted. Bc its a staple for defenses now... great ones don’t hit FA. Ansah and Lawrence more than likely won’t be UFA.

Archived