2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

On 2/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, cannondale said:

That's what makes it so hard. With uncertainty surrounding HHCD I don't think you can cut Burnett loose and go with a rookie back there. So now you have to weigh out Burnett vs some other teams cast off. I really think these decisions are huge

I think the only reason you have issues letting Burnett walk is if you're wanting to make Josh Jones a LB permanently.  Honestly, I didn't think there was anything to indicate that he was going to be an issue in coverage, so I'd project him to take over for Burnett.

On 2/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, JBURGE25 said:

I would rather have Evans. Saving $2m isn't enough to make me want to start McCray

For me, the only reason you walk away from Jahri Evans is if you're wanting to think about this long-term.  You're probably getting one, maybe two years out of Evans which means he's a temporary fix.  If you believe that McCray is capable of taking over, than you save a few bucks and roll with the punches with McCray much like we did with Lane Taylor.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

For me, the only reason you walk away from Jahri Evans is if you're wanting to think about this long-term.  You're probably getting one, maybe two years out of Evans which means he's a temporary fix.  If you believe that McCray is capable of taking over, than you save a few bucks and roll with the punches with McCray much like we did with Lane Taylor.

Part of the RG position is the stability and level of play of the RT.   Taylor had the benefit of having Bahktiari on his outside.   RT is a bit of unknown with Bulaga coming off injury and Spriggs not quite there yet from a high level starter.   Having a better RG buffers the RT position a little.

9 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

But, and it's a big BUT, drafting at #14 does not insure you get the pass rusher you're looking for and may NOT be the BPA.  When you get this far up in the order you should NOT draft for need.  You should have three or four possibles at that spot and take the most talent you can.  I know people don't want a WR or OG at 14, but if you stay true to your board (Gute) that may indeed be the pick.

I could live with Nelson at #14 and then maybe Ma'atafa(?) in the second round.

Except we're not asking Gute to go off the reservation, and draft some EDGE whose nowhere near good value.  Odds are there is going to be at least one EDGE of value, and if you take him over a relatively similar graded guard than I question your decision making.  Will there be an EDGE of value later on?  Possibly, but history has shown us that you're more likely to find a quality guard later on in the draft than you are an EDGE.  And you add in positional value and I'm not sure there is a scenario that lends itself to picking Nelson.

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Part of the RG position is the stability and level of play of the RT.   Taylor had the benefit of having Bahktiari on his outside.   RT is a bit of unknown with Bulaga coming off injury and Spriggs not quite there yet from a high level starter.   Having a better RG buffers the RT position a little.

They're still a unit at the end of the day.  We saw improved play out of Spriggs after he came back from injury.  Personally, I think we're going to see Bulaga start the year on the PUP list, so I'm not going to project him as the starting RT.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're still a unit at the end of the day.  We saw improved play out of Spriggs after he came back from injury.  Personally, I think we're going to see Bulaga start the year on the PUP list, so I'm not going to project him as the starting RT.

I agree on that Bulaga likely starts on PUP.  GB just came from having OG that were top tier players and an LT that was raw.  Now that has flipped and last year the OT were vets in their prime ( aside from the injuries to Bulaga) and OG that were lesser tier.

The OL functions as a unit, but you need a mix of vets on higher salaries and young cheaper players.  

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think the only reason you have issues letting Burnett walk is if you're wanting to make Josh Jones a LB permanently.  Honestly, I didn't think there was anything to indicate that he was going to be an issue in coverage, so I'd project him to take over for Burnett.

I think there was a ton to indicate he MAY be an issue in coverage, namely how he graded out. I'm not smart enough to project what his role might be, but I don't think anyone would disagree that at this point we don't know if he is the next Aaron Rouse or something better. Too many moving parts to know a whole lot until training camp. I hope he's the next Burnett but fear he is the next Richardson

11 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I think there was a ton to indicate he MAY be an issue in coverage, namely how he graded out. I'm not smart enough to project what his role might be, but I don't think anyone would disagree that at this point we don't know if he is the next Aaron Rouse or something better. Too many moving parts to know a whole lot until training camp. I hope he's the next Burnett but fear he is the next Richardson

I mean, I wouldn't really think there's anything that he showed that showed he wasn't capable of holding up in coverage.  Watching him particularly in the middle-to-late part of the year was that he hit that proverbial rookie wall.  The game went too fast for him, and he's certainly not Aaron Rouse or Sean Richardson either.

I want Trumaine Johnson. Perfect fit for Pettine's defense, press cover guy. Think it would be beautiful to watch Johnson & King play outside with Randall in the slot. Think of that size on the outside; Johnson 6'2 215, King 6'3 200, man that would be glorious. I know he'll be very expensive, think a 3 years ~$14 mill/per could get it done, giving him 1 more chance to cash in.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

This is an important consideration and GB will have to weigh their options. Evans brings the vet smarts and solid pass pro -  which would help Spriggs. I'm all for the long term view at RG, but anybody you draft ( 4th ? ) won't be ready Day 1 anyways

Evans is the perfect bridge not only for Spriggs, but also for any new OGs who need time to assimilate. McCray might be good enough, but I think I'd like to aim higher. And Jahri still has to decide if he's up for it

10 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

I want Trumaine Johnson. Perfect fit for Pettine's defense, press cover guy. Think it would be beautiful to watch Johnson & King play outside with Randall in the slot. Think of that size on the outside; Johnson 6'2 215, King 6'3 200, man that would be glorious. I know he'll be very expensive, think a 3 years ~$14 mill/per could get it done, giving him 1 more chance to cash in.

I could deal with this .. make a splash and hope you get a premier player at corner.  If it works out you have a potentially excellent group of corners.  King is probably best suited for #2 duty .. and Randall in the slot would be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was interesting article on Burnett

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/morgan-burnett-is-excited-for-his-first-bite-at-the/article_434a9434-6566-5dd5-a47a-8f9a36024d4d.html

This time, the Packers made no effort to extend him before the end of his contract, and Burnett indicated during the SiriusXM interview that the team has yet to talk to him about getting a deal done before free agency. The negotiating window opens on March 12, with players able to officially sign with new teams on March 14. The Packers could sign him before the market opens but appear content to let Burnett test the free-agent waters.

Would seem to indicate that Burnett is unlikely to return to GB.

The Packers already know he can get a lot more on the open market, same as Hyde.

They also know they will get a comp pick for him in 2019, maybe a 5th

They also know he's the past, while Pettine is focused on the future. His knowledge of Capers D doesn't confer any value going forward, but his vet experience certainly does. HaHa plus Brice plus Josh Jones gives a solid base going into the draft, so the Packers aren't in dire straits at Safety with or without him

If the price is right, sure, why not. But the price likely won't be right...too much available cap chasing too little talent. I'm guessing the Packers may have a chance to match, but they'll demur and wish him well in his next adventure

( plus the Packers just drafted Derwin James...:) )

On 2/7/2018 at 9:27 PM, gopackgo27 said:

He's going to get top tier CB money, and he's already 28 years old.  That means you're likely handing out a 5 year, $65M deal minimum to Trumaine Johnson.  You're not getting him for 3 years at $14M, when he'll easily get north of that.

Archived