Jets extend both Maccagnan, Bowles

jetskid007

23 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

why would they extend Mac now. What happens if he has another lousy draft & does very little in FA period, and does not come up with a QB. Only those lousy owners we have that would give a ?  GM a new contract now. If going 5-11 two years in a row is going in the right direction that is crazy

Then you fire him. Its normal to give HC/GM extensions like this.

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I wouldn't even say this buys them 2 years.  Next year is huge for them.  If they can't find a franchise QB or a young QB with potential then they could easily be let go after next season.  I think both have been pretty mediocre thus far.  

Now go get us a QB Mac.  

I would say Maccagnan is safer than Bowles. You can't judge a draft class based on one season. Yes, Macc has an uneven draft record right now, but it's more positive than not. 32% of the players he's drafted since 2015 are already full-time starters (7/22). Adding Robby Anderson largely wiped out the Devin Smith injury bust. Mauldin has not been able to replicate early success due to injuries. Several rookies are still completely unknown still. 

Maccagnan is going to be allowed to open the checkbook this year and if he goes all in on a QB in the draft, he'll be given at least through 2019 before determining his fate. If Bowles gets all the shiny new toys and fails to take a sizable step forward, it's definitely possible he's canned after next year. 

27 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I would say Maccagnan is safer than Bowles. You can't judge a draft class based on one season. Yes, Macc has an uneven draft record right now, but it's more positive than not. 32% of the players he's drafted since 2015 are already full-time starters (7/22). Adding Robby Anderson largely wiped out the Devin Smith injury bust. Mauldin has not been able to replicate early success due to injuries. Several rookies are still completely unknown still. 

Maccagnan is going to be allowed to open the checkbook this year and if he goes all in on a QB in the draft, he'll be given at least through 2019 before determining his fate. If Bowles gets all the shiny new toys and fails to take a sizable step forward, it's definitely possible he's canned after next year. 

I know you are probably closer to the situation then me but I see them tied together.  If you fire Bowles and retain Mac and he gets another head coach then you are likely allowing him what 3 years himself to develop the team.  If after the first year of the new HC what if they haven't made the playoffs still.  Now Mac has had 5 years and no playoffs with two coaches.  Are they going to fire him and keep the coach?  That makes no sense to do that, any new GM wants the freedom to pick their guy.  Are they going to fire the coach after 1 season just because they want to dump Mac?  Doubtful, not really fair to the HC so who is going to want to coach here if we did that.

They have to be tied together, not much of a choice.  It's not like one has been great and the other awful, both have been average.  Either they are building something towards the playoffs with a young QB (Mayfield, Darold, Rosen, Jackson whoever) and said young QB is showing promise or they sign Kirk and are playing a meaningful week 17 game or they are both likely gone.  If they have another 4-5 win season, the QB they drafted stinks or can't even see the field like Hack, then can't fire Bowles and keep Mac no mater how much you like his 5th round RT or UDFA WR.  If you can't find sustained success with a franchise QB or build a team around a stop gap to make the playoffs in 5 years you likely will lose your job, he should.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I wouldn't even say this buys them 2 years.  Next year is huge for them.  If they can't find a franchise QB or a young QB with potential then they could easily be let go after next season.  I think both have been pretty mediocre thus far.  

Now go get us a QB Mac.  

This. It’s pretty much what I expected, if next year is ugly both will be fired. I do like how Chris Johnson used the term “sustained success” lol.. there hasn’t been any successes since 2015. 

I think ownership is going to set a mandate as they should. You can’t have back to back to back losing seasons in the NFL with no key players at cornerstone positions. It’s time to stop making excuses for the defense, for Bowles, and for Mac. It’s been three entire years, we’ve made no progress at all at QB or pass rusher and we are still drafting positions on defense of minimal impact in the first round. 

They need to have a heck of an off-season and figure out the QB situation to stand a chance imo. Or figure out a way to get into the playoffs without one.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I know you are probably closer to the situation then me but I see them tied together. 

I'm not, but I am confident that he's a good GM. He has the right idea in mind and knows how to draft. I think they are tied at the hip to an extent, but if Macc continues to bring in the talent and Bowles isn't able to close I can see them making a change while keeping Maccagnan at the helm. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Macc will go all in for a QB this year. Now I'm starting to think Cousins will be the guy so they both don't have to ride on an unproven rookie for their jobs. Could Double dip as well. 

I've felt this for so long, but now it's a matter of if Cousins wants us. I hope so, because we can become an immediate contender with him and a solid draft class.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Kind of irrelevant IMO.  Management did it so that they didn't think they had to go above and beyond to save their jobs and end up making stupid decisions.  If they still do make dumb decisions, they'll let them go after next year.

Could be.  They are not that expensive.

23 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Players reactions kills that theory some of you have about him losing the locker room/players giving up. 

Darron Lee, linebacker

"Hey, if you clean house, that means you’ve got to start over, right? I don’t think anybody wants to start at square one ... Guys have gotten better and they’re committed to getting better. As opposed to last year, I think everybody was kind of doing their own thing. A lot of people have taken leaps and bounds from last year."

So it doesn't kill the theory.

48 minutes ago, JetsandI said:
Darron Lee, linebacker

"Hey, if you clean house, that means you’ve got to start over, right? I don’t think anybody wants to start at square one ... Guys have gotten better and they’re committed to getting better. As opposed to last year, I think everybody was kind of doing their own thing. A lot of people have taken leaps and bounds from last year."

So it doesn't kill the theory.

You picked one response that doesn't mean good for bad for bowles.  

He also said this recently. 

“The future of this team?... Dominance,” Lee said. “You better heed warning now. This whole season will be a warning shot of what’s coming. Because once everybody — special teams, offense, defense — all figure it out, it’s over.”

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

You picked one response that doesn't mean good for bad for bowles.  

He also said this recently. 

“The future of this team?... Dominance,” Lee said. “You better heed warning now. This whole season will be a warning shot of what’s coming. Because once everybody — special teams, offense, defense — all figure it out, it’s over.”

Haha, someone better call Tom and Bill and let em know. 

I don’t know why I find that so funny. “If we just figure out all phases of the game we are dominant!”

Archived