• Buffalo Bills
    • Cincinnati Bengals
    • Cleveland Browns
    • Denver Broncos
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • New York Jets
    • Washington Redskins
    • other

We all know the botched trade that would've landed McCarron in Cleveland for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. For a while, the Bengals were unwilling to deal the QB for anything less than a 1st round pick and reportedly declined an offer for a 2nd round pick straight up. McCarron may become an UFA outright or a RFA. Still, one would think the Bengals will be more willing to move him this offseason (even for less than the 2nd & 3rd offered by the Browns) in order to maximize what they can receive for him. 

There's going to be a lot of QB openings this year, but there could be a record number of starting caliber QBs available as well. 

Two part question: will McCarron be given an opportunity to start and if so where?

4 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I have a feeling he will be a RFA and the Bengals will put either a 1st or 2nd round tender on him (2nd if they want someone to sign him, I don’t think anyone would do a 1st). I think he ends up as a New York Jet

He won't be a Jet IMO

8 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I have a feeling he will be a RFA and the Bengals will put either a 1st or 2nd round tender on him (2nd if they want someone to sign him, I don’t think anyone would do a 1st). I think he ends up as a New York Jet

He's a non-restricted Free Agent.

Could see the Browns bringing him in to pair with a high draft pick, like the Bears did with Glennon.

Just now, paul-mac said:

Care to elaborate?

Denver has benched Trevor on multiple occasions for even more terrible QBs (Lynch, Osweiler). Given Elway's lack of ability to evaluate talent at the QB position, it would make sense for him to sign a similarly bad QB, AJ Mccarron

Granted, AJ isn't 6'7 so maybe he won't go there 

52 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

We all know the botched trade that would've landed McCarron in Cleveland for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. For a while, the Bengals were unwilling to deal the QB for anything less than a 1st round pick and reportedly declined an offer for a 2nd round pick straight up. McCarron may become an UFA outright or a RFA. Still, one would think the Bengals will be more willing to move him this offseason (even for less than the 2nd & 3rd offered by the Browns) in order to maximize what they can receive for him. 

There's going to be a lot of QB openings this year, but there could be a record number of starting caliber QBs available as well. 

Two part question: will McCarron be given an opportunity to start and if so where?

There's really not going to be as many openings as people think.  I count 4, at most.  BUF, CLE, and DEN are definite.  Jets and Cards are debatable.

---------

McCarron has paid his dues, he's looked good in limited playing time.  I think he has certainly earned an opportunity to start somewhere.  With that said, I have a bad feeling that what happened to Mike Glennon in Chicago, is what's going to happen to McCarron...  He's going to get thrown into a bad situation, and end up getting benched before he can ever get going. 

Some opportunity Glennon got: A coach that didn't want him; then they drafted a rookie QB; ensured there was no talent at WR; then he's benched after 3 games...

anyway, Arizona or Buffalo would be a good fit for McCarron.

7 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

Denver has benched Trevor on multiple occasions for even more terrible QBs (Lynch, Osweiler). Given Elway's lack of ability to evaluate talent at the QB position, it would make sense for him to sign a similarly bad QB, AJ Mccarron

Granted, AJ isn't 6'7 so maybe he won't go there 

They benched him for Osweiler because he'd thrown multiple picks in consecutive games and was in a bad headspace. 

They played Lynch because we know Siemian and Os weren't franchise QBs and wanted to test out Lynch. Not necessarily saying Lynch is better than Siemian.

None of the three will start next year.

Just now, paul-mac said:

They benched him for Osweiler because he'd thrown multiple picks in consecutive games and was in a bad headspace. 

They played Lynch because we know Siemian and Os weren't franchise QBs and wanted to test out Lynch. Not necessarily saying Lynch is better than Siemian.

None of the three will start next year.

oh I'm with you, they're all bad QBs

and so is AJ Mccarron. 

38 minutes ago, frenchie said:

There's really not going to be as many openings as people think.  I count 4, at most.  BUF, CLE, and DEN are definite.  Jets and Cards are debatable.

Others could be WAS (if Kirk leaves), PIT (if Ben retires), NYG, JAX, MIA... 

Ultimately I expect BUF, CLE, DEN, NYJ, ARI, WAS. 

Archived