• Cleveland Browns
    • Denver Broncos
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • New York Jets
    • Washington Redskins
    • other

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Feels like a relevant time to bump this up... 

• WAS traded for Alex Smith
  • CIN lost arbitration
  • JAX re-signed Blake Bortles
  • CLE traded for Tyrod Taylor

That leaves ARI, BUF, DEN, MIN, and NYJ with QB needs. 

This is likely a stretch but Nick Saban is/was a big fan of McCarron. 

Bills new OC just worked under Saban. Bills need a veteran/bridge QB. 

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I see Arizona and Buffalo, living in draft pick purgatory, as likely and good fit destinations.

I feel Arizona as well. It looks like they're going to miss out on Kirk, but have reasons to bring in a veteran who can be a bridge/possible long term starter. At least gives Fitzgerald & Co a chance next year and can draft/develop a day 1 or 2 QB

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Happy dance 

Hardly out of the woods yet, as far as Jacksonville is concerned.  If he ends up in a stopgap starter role for Arizona or Buffalo or something, which seems more likely, sure...But if a few more teams make moves for alternative potential starters, the Jaguars have been rumored to be pretty heavy into the UFA QB market looking for a backup and guy to "push" Bortles or whatever.  And they've had rumoured interest in AJ previously.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Hardly out of the woods yet, as far as Jacksonville is concerned.  If he ends up in a stopgap starter role for Arizona or Buffalo or something, which seems more likely, sure...But if a few more teams make moves for alternative potential starters, the Jaguars have been rumored to be pretty heavy into the UFA QB market looking for a backup and guy to "push" Bortles or whatever.  And they've had rumoured interest in AJ previously.

Isn't he looking to be a starter? If he signs with us he will be in the same situation with us as Cincy at least for a year and we won't sign him to a long-term deal. 

PS, why you gotta do this to me? I did my happy dance

20 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Isn't he looking to be a starter? If he signs with us he will be in the same situation with us as Cincy at least for a year and we won't sign him to a long-term deal. 

PS, why you gotta do this to me? I did my happy dance

He can be looking to be whatever he wants.  If the music stops and he doesn't have a starter chair though, he'll be looking to have a job...period.  And among backup jobs, Jacksonville is probably one of the more attractive ones, given Bortles still comparatively precarious grasp on the starting job.

Basically...we've got Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson...plus Cousins, Bridgewater, Keenum, and Bradford in the mix to land potential starting jobs.  8-9 guys probably...not counting McCarron himself (and a couple other longshots).

Teams clearly looking for immediate or stopgap starters is basically: Buffalo, New York Jets, Denver, Minnesota, Arizona.  Basically ~5 clear landing spots.  Even assuming not all of the rookies will be Day 1 starters, a bunch of them will...so there aren't really enough clear starter jobs to go around for the number of guys likely vying for them.

McCarron is going to be in tough to find a spot where he's anything more than a guy with a shot at some starts in a competition.  Unless some team seriously falls in love with his low upside game, or decides they can go cheap for a shorter-term stopgap starter with a top QB pick waiting in the wings or something.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

He can be looking to be whatever he wants.  If the music stops and he doesn't have a starter chair though, he'll be looking to have a job...period.  And among backup jobs, Jacksonville is probably one of the more attractive ones, given Bortles still comparatively precarious grasp on the starting job.

Basically...we've got Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson...plus Cousins, Bridgewater, Keenum, and Bradford in the mix to land potential starting jobs.  8-9 guys probably...not counting McCarron himself (and a couple other longshots).

Teams clearly looking for immediate or stopgap starters is basically: Buffalo, New York Jets, Denver, Minnesota, Arizona.  Basically ~5 clear landing spots.  Even assuming not all of the rookies will be Day 1 starters, a bunch of them will...so there aren't really enough clear starter jobs to go around for the number of guys likely vying for them.

McCarron is going to be in tough to find a spot where he's anything more than a guy with a shot at some starts in a competition.  Unless some team seriously falls in love with his low upside game, or decides they can go cheap for a shorter-term stopgap starter with a top QB pick waiting in the wings or something.

I mean Cleveland wanted him once right? I guess them traded a 3rd for Tyrod probably takes him out as well because we still all assume they go QB in the draft but they have more money than they know what to do

Archived