Packers Extend C Corey Linsley

ChaRisMa

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at.  Russ Ball's experience is in cap management, not in player evaluation.  Sure, he'll have his scouts and other talent evaluators there, but you don't hire someone whose job is to manage numbers to evaluate play.  Unless I'm mistaken, he's not a huge talent evaluation player and I'd be curious to see where you're getting the notion that he's doing scouting.  Wolf is next in line IMO.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Russ-Ball-a-strong-candidate-to-be-next-Packers-general-manager-112828162

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/08/28/versatile-ball-seen-gm-president-material/89425882/

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Seems like speculation to me, which is 99.9% of what we're doing here anyways.  My question is why are Gut/Wolf getting all the attention from other organizations if Ball is as legitimate a candidate as those two?

Just now, CWood21 said:

Seems like speculation to me, which is 99.9% of what we're doing here anyways.  My question is why are Gut/Wolf getting all the attention from other organizations if Ball is as legitimate a candidate as those two?

it seems like speculation that TT straight up said he's involved in player evaluation???

Just now, CWood21 said:

Speculation?  The second article has quotes from Thompson about Ball being heavily involved in scouting.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Apparently I wasn't really clear with my words.  I meant they were speculating that he was the one whose set to take over for TT.

I think the guy is a serious candidate, but he might be more valuable in continuing to do what he currently does.  Wolf is still probably the top candidate.  

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the guy is a serious candidate, but he might be more valuable in continuing to do what he currently does.  Wolf is still probably the top candidate.  

I guess the next question would be, if the other one is given the job whose more likely to stick around?  IF you make Russ Ball the GM, does Elliot Wolf or Brian Gutenkust stick around?  My guess is not.  I think it's far more likely that we retain Ball than is Wolf/Gut.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I guess the next question would be, if the other one is given the job whose more likely to stick around?  IF you make Russ Ball the GM, does Elliot Wolf or Brian Gutenkust stick around?  My guess is not.  I think it's far more likely that we retain Ball than is Wolf/Gut.

I think everyone in the Packers front office runs on the same team. Everyone works hard. Everyone supports each other. Everyone knows the organization churns out promotions whether in Green Bay or elsewhere. As long as you work hard, support the guys around you, do your job, and follow Ted’s tutelage and direction, you’re gonna be in interviews for a GM job. And honestly, I think a number of them just enjoy the work atmosphere enough that they don’t have an issue being patient. Plus, the Green Bay job is thee best GM job in sports. No owner. Easy media. Tickets are sold. Aaron Rodgers.

7 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I think everyone in the Packers front office runs on the same team. Everyone works hard. Everyone supports each other. Everyone knows the organization churns out promotions whether in Green Bay or elsewhere. As long as you work hard, support the guys around you, do your job, and follow Ted’s tutelage and direction, you’re gonna be in interviews for a GM job. And honestly, I think a number of them just enjoy the work atmosphere enough that they don’t have an issue being patient. Plus, the Green Bay job is thee best GM job in sports. No owner. Easy media. Tickets are sold. Aaron Rodgers.

Then why hasn't Russ Ball got any interviews?  I mean, we've seen Wolf and Gut get multiple interviews last offseason and both are poised to get interviews this offseason.  That isn't the case with Ball.  That's why I'm skeptical.

Looks a bit higher than I was hoping, but have to see the yearly structure to judge whether some of it is just back-end padding that’s not guaranteed. Sometimes you have to pay a bit of a premium when you’re a team with a SB window and no clear in-house replacement to avoid taking a step back if a guy walks. It also could be that Linsley wanted to test the open market & charged a premium to sign early.

Linsley was generally grading as a top-10 center prior to this season, though probably helped by Sitton/Lang. I wonder if his preseason injury affected his play also.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Then why hasn't Russ Ball got any interviews?  I mean, we've seen Wolf and Gut get multiple interviews last offseason and both are poised to get interviews this offseason.  That isn't the case with Ball.  That's why I'm skeptical.

That’s actually partly why I think he’s the heir. I don’t know how much Ted makes money-wise but let’s say you are told by Ted that after 2018, he’s retiring and he and Mark agree you are the man for the job. You gonna leave before 2018 for ANY other job just to get paid more earlier? Or you gonna wait for the best job you can possibly get after 2018?

Also don’t think we get word of all the guys that interview. Certainly no rule saying it needs to be public knowledge. 

Also not sure if his current title prevents him from exploring different jobs. I’d be surprised if it did, though.

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

That’s actually partly why I think he’s the heir. I don’t know how much Ted makes money-wise but let’s say you are told by Ted that after 2018, he’s retiring and he and Mark agree you are the man for the job. You gonna leave before 2018 for ANY other job just to get paid more earlier? Or you gonna wait for the best job you can possibly get after 2018?

Also don’t think we get word of all the guys that interview. Certainly no rule saying it needs to be public knowledge. 

he's also shrouded in secrecy within the org and has a deep history w/ MM.

I'd view him as the likely heir as well.

Archived