Giants to pick #2 in 2018 NFL Draft

Acgott

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I'm starting to think Nelson is going to be the pick at 2. Then again, just yesterday I convinced myself that Barkley is going to be the pick at 2, so who knows where I'll be on this at the end of April. 

I hope he is the pick.

I'm seeing that this offensive line is still missing a left guard and depending on if flowers sticks on the right side one could say, right guard and right tackle.  Massive holes and the free agency is drying up as is our salary cap.  

Our new GM has a chance to fix our offensive line issues for years to come in his first year, that would be an amazing accomplishment. 

edit:  It would also justify the hire.  If our biggest needs aren't addressed with the importance that they deserve then it would be difficult to justify the shake up of front office and coaching positions.  

Drafting a quarterback, edge rusher or even a running back does nothing to fix the core issue. 

My dream scenario is convincing the Browns they have to trade up to #2 to get Barkley. It's very Madden-esque but let's say we want Rosen. Browns draft Darnold #1 and we are betting that the Jets are in on either Allen or Mayfield. We pick up extra picks and still get our man at #4. In the off chance the Jets do take Rosen at #3, we get to draft our favorite player of the other positions (Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, whoever).

It's obvious the standard play is you go get your QB and for good reason. If you don't have a QB, you have NO shot. But with no clear ranking of these QBs there is so much intrigue and a good chance the Giants actually move down.

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm starting to think Nelson is going to be the pick at 2. Then again, just yesterday I convinced myself that Barkley is going to be the pick at 2, so who knows where I'll be on this at the end of April. 

I’d be upset if the giants rejected the jets offer of 3 second round picks to draft a guard at #2.  It’s just not a sexy position in a passing league.  If you fall behind and have to pass to win, his impact will not be felt.  Sure you’ll have a clean pocket, but even Jon jerry can pass block at guard.

And if we do want him, we’d better be employing a Cowboys type running offense.  In that case, trade down to #5 because he will still be there.  3 quarterbacks + Barkley are going in the top 4. 

19 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I’d be upset if the giants rejected the jets offer of 3 second round picks to draft a guard at #2.  It’s just not a sexy position in a passing league.  If you fall behind and have to pass to win, his impact will not be felt.  Sure you’ll have a clean pocket, but even Jon jerry can pass block at guard.

What?

His impact won’t be felt? Says who. 

“If you fall behind, yeah so what if you have a clean pocket”. For real?

21 minutes ago, Gmen said:

And if we do want him, we’d better be employing a Cowboys type running offense.  In that case, trade down to #5 because he will still be there.  3 quarterbacks + Barkley are going in the top 4. 

If the Giants haven't locked the pick down for a quarterback, which I really hope that they haven't, it wouldn't surprise me if a team doesn't step up to make a trade, but I personally, have no issues with the team drafting a guard at 2, sexy or not.  Nelson is miles ahead of the rest of the offensive lineman coming out in this draft and past drafts imo.  The man is a game changer at the left guard position, which sounds crazy to say, but it's true, he's just that good.  

We've seen what a poor offensive line has done to this team and I believe we're in a position this year to fix it.  Nate was a huge upgrade over Flowers, who I expect to land at right guard or tackle, getting another huge piece to the puzzle in Nelson and even working to land Brown, from OU or Okorafor in the later rounds could resolve our offensive line issues for years and provide our quarterback and running game a solid line to make it work.

Drafting another quarterback or running back doesn't help us now, and if now isn't what we are looking for then why pay Nate a massive contract who turns 30 next month.  I think the team is in a win now mode and our biggest need now is offensive line.

Gettleman was signed to fix the problem from years past, that problem wasn't Eli, it was a crap offensive line that has failed to provide running lanes and a clean pocket.

On 3/19/2018 at 9:53 AM, minutemancl said:

There are rumors that the Jets traded up to 3 because they are sure the Giants are NOT targeting a QB at 2. The rumor is the Giants are staying put at 2 to take Chubb. Certainly interesting. 

This is what I think y'all will do cause

A) jets made the price of acquiring #2 via trade semi ridiculous

B) can't justify taking a rb or og #2

C) Chubb is an awesome de almost Strahan-ish who would go #1 

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

What?

His impact won’t be felt? Says who. 

“If you fall behind, yeah so what if you have a clean pocket”. For real?

You seem confused.  I’m not sure what in my post was so confusing or even controversial.  Guards are the least important position in the passing game.  That’s why in a passing league, so few go in the first round, let alone top 5. In my 15 years of being a fan, I don’t believe a single guard has gone top 5.  So if we draft Nelson at #2, he better be a hall of fame run blocker, and we better design a run heavy offense to make his impact felt.  But alas it’s 2018, not 1972.  

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

You seem confused.  I’m not sure what in my post was so confusing or even controversial.  Guards are the least important position in the passing game.  That’s why in a passing league, so few go in the first round, let alone top 5. In my 15 years of being a fan, I don’t believe a single guard has gone top 5.  So if we draft Nelson at #2, he better be a hall of fame run blocker, and we better design a run heavy offense to make his impact felt.  But alas it’s 2018, not 1972.  

He’s an all time great guard prospect. Guards are more important than ever hence why Norwell got such a big deal. With the way defenses attacking o-lines from the interior having somebody elite there is important. Guards aren’t the least important, that’s a myth.

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

He’s an all time great guard prospect. Guards are more important than ever hence why Norwell got such a big deal. With the way defenses attacking o-lines from the interior having somebody elite there is important. Guards aren’t the least important, that’s a myth.

Norwell got a big deal because he’ll be plowing the way for Leonard fournette.  The jaguars are a run based offense.  And they’d gladly trade in Norwell for a chance to pick one of these young quarterbacks in the draft.

11 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Norwell got a big deal because he’ll be plowing the way for Leonard fournette.  The jaguars are a run based offense.  And they’d gladly trade in Norwell for a chance to pick one of these young quarterbacks in the draft.

No it’s not because of Fournette, he would got that deal anywhere else where he was wanted. We were willing to do that. And yes they’d do it because they’re a QB away.

13 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Our running game has been horrible the past few years.  We sucked at it to the point that our offense was one dimensional without their defense doing anything but standing in front of our lineman.  There must be some balance to our offense, not a single team was concerned about our run game and why would they be?  6 rushing TD's per season over the last few years.

The Giants offense lead the league in passing attempts, when our premier receivers weren't even on the field.  They were forced into this because our offensive line sucked that bad.  

No guard is not a sexy pick but its a winning pick.  If you don't like the idea of picking an offensive lineman, I get that you want a quarterback, but I personally don't see how drafting another quarterback is going to do anything for this team in the here and now.  If they can address the rest of the offensive line with quality players, fine draft a quarterback or an edge rusher or kicker for all I care, but if they go tossing band-aids on the major problem that has prevented this team from succeeding I look forward to seeing Gettleman get fired.  Until the offensive line is fixed and fixed right, drafting anyone other than Q. Nelson in the first round is just stupid.

I can't imagine Eli agreeing to play another year under contract or not if the Giants brass can't keep him upright, and not having him roll out of the pocket to buy more time.  Just once I'd like to see Eli work his magic without having to worry about safeties playing deep, because defenses don't respect our run game.  

I know that a running game is important and I’ve been talking about it for years.  But if you have the #2 pick in a draft with the best running back propect in 25 years, and 4 quarterbacks with top 10 grades, you don’t take an offensive guard.  The highest guard that has been drafted in my 15 years as a fan was Cooper at #6, and that was because it was a very weak draft class.  On average approximately 1 guard has been drafted in the first round and usually it’s in the middle to late round.  There’s a reason for that.  I will eat my hat if the Giants draft Nelson at #2, and have serious reservations about this Gettleman hiring 

Archived