With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I would be fine with any of QBs not named Manziel Mayfield and any of the three position players you mention. What has me a little concerned is the recent talk about Denzel Ward, which the King article mentions and it's something that Renck and Klis have been saying here and there over the last week or so. Ward is a nice prospect but I don't see a real game-changer, I see a solid CB, a Bradley Roby type, not someone worthy of a top-5 or even top-10 pick. Elway has taken at least one CB in I think every draft since he's running the show, it's an approach I like because you can't enough good CBs, but the idea of Ward at No. 5 or even after a slight trade back doesn't sit well with me. 

I love Mayfield.  I’m convinced he’s going to be the best QB in this draft.  I understand all the arguments against him; size, program, personality, etc.  I could share my reasons for loving him; accuracy, pocket awareness/mobility, resiliency, passion, etc.  it seems with this QB class, there is a reason to like/dislike each of the QB’s.  I respect all of those opinions.  If you don’t like Mayfield, there are certainly plenty of good reasons not to.  No argument, and to each their own.  That’s what makes this forum great.

But the above is really just high fallutin’ name calling.  Everybody knows what Manziel is famous (infamous?) for. The only things Mayfield has in common with Manziel is his height, and a spread offense.  And so do more than half of the quarterbacks in college football.

Mayfield may well fail in the NFL - most QB’s do (although I’d bet against it). But if he does, it won’t be because of any of the reasons that Manziel flamed out.  

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Patrick Peterson was in that mix as well.  Most thought it was between Dareus and Peterson.

Elway also hasn’t brought any of the top position players in for private workouts, at least as far as it’s been reported.

Interestingly, when Elway took over the job he mentioned the top 4 positions in football were QB, edge rusher, LT, and CB.  IMO, Denver will be looking at one of those 4 positions at #5.  With no LT I think it’s down to one of the QBs, Chubb, and Ward unless they trade back.

I think you may very well be right.  And Chubb won’t be there at 5, and 5 is too early for Ward, so....

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Patrick Peterson was in that mix as well.  Most thought it was between Dareus and Peterson.

*Elway also hasn’t brought any of the top position players in for private workouts, at least as far as it’s been reported.

Interestingly, when Elway took over the job he mentioned the top 4 positions in football were QB, edge rusher, LT, and CB.  IMO, Denver will be looking at one of those 4 positions at #5.  With no LT I think it’s down to one of the QBs, Chubb, and Ward unless they trade back.

*Vita Vea is the only non-QB first rounder to be brought in for a visit.

Von was absolutely in the mix as he was brought in for a private workout, had a combine visit, and we went to his pro day.

Also, for context's sake, that year we brought in 11 would-be first round prospects for visits. All were pass rushers/DL, CBs, OL, or QBs. 

1 minute ago, Ahhlucas said:

*Vita Vea is the only non-QB first rounder to be brought in for a visit.

Von was absolutely in the mix as he was brought in for a private workout, had a combine visit, and we went to his pro day.

Also, for context's sake, that year we brought in 11 would-be first round prospects for visits. All were pass rushers/DL, CBs, OL, or QBs. 

Obviously he was in the mix as he was drafted.  But most draftniks and many in this forum did not think he was a serious competitor.

Elway has also drafted players he’s never shown interest in.  Derek Wolfe was stunned when Denver selected him because he hadn’t had any serious contact.  Same with DeMarcus Walker.

Another interesting stat,  outside of Sylvester Williams every 1st round pick made under Elway has been a QB, edge rusher, LT, or CB.

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

Obviously he was in the mix as he was drafted.  But most draftniks and many in this forum did not think he was a serious competitor.

Elway has also drafted players he’s never shown interest in.  Derek Wolfe was stunned when Denver selected him because he hadn’t had any serious contact.  Same with DeMarcus Walker.

Another interesting stat,  outside of Sylvester Williams every 1st round pick made under Elway has been a QB, edge rusher, LT, or CB.

That is actually a pretty interesting stat. It certainly speaks to Elway's preference for certain positions. That said, I think at this point it's clear there's no viable LT at 5. Arguably there's not even a CB worth taking, even if you like Ward. We may well take a QB. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think Elway will only take a QB if it's the 1 guy he wants, whoever that is. If that guy isn't there, I think they go elsewhere. 

There's also increasingly more talk of a trade down with many people across the spectrum saying Denver is clearly open for business. Could just be talk to drive the price up, but I do believe if only 2 QBs go in the first 4 picks, Denver will probably move down.

24 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

That is actually a pretty interesting stat. It certainly speaks to Elway's preference for certain positions. That said, I think at this point it's clear there's no viable LT at 5. Arguably there's not even a CB worth taking, even if you like Ward. We may well take a QB. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think Elway will only take a QB if it's the 1 guy he wants, whoever that is. If that guy isn't there, I think they go elsewhere. 

There's also increasingly more talk of a trade down with many people across the spectrum saying Denver is clearly open for business. Could just be talk to drive the price up, but I do believe if only 2 QBs go in the first 4 picks, Denver will probably move down.

Allbright seems to think the guys we really want are Denzel Ward and Will Hernandez. That would make sense if we trade back with the Bills then maybe trade back up from 12 to 8 to 9 for Ward. 

Obviously it it depends on Elway’s evaluation of the four QBs, or more specifically, of the two Joshes, as it seems Darnold will go top 2 and Mayfield is gonna be a Jet. If it’s not a QB at 5, I think it could well be Bradley Chubb, and if he’s not there either then I think we’ll auction off the pick and try to get Ward. 

20 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I think the Giants are going Barkley after the Browns take Darnold. Jets take Mayfield. Browns take Chubb. Leaves us looking at Rosen, Allen, Nelson. 

I think the Barkley thing is a smokescreen. I know Gettleman likes him, but I cannot fathom he takes a RB at 2 with how bad their OL is, and how problematic other parts of that team are. Could be wrong, but we'll see.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

I think the Barkley thing is a smokescreen. I know Gettleman likes him, but I cannot fathom he takes a RB at 2 with how bad their OL is, and how problematic other parts of that team are. Could be wrong, but we'll see.

The bad OL is exactly why you want a top class RB. The best RBs in the game can make things happen even when the blocking isn’t there. 

18 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

The bad OL is exactly why you want a top class RB. The best RBs in the game can make things happen even when the blocking isn’t there. 

The Giants have a significantly worse OL situation than we do though. I do agree that if the guy is transcendent, you take him, but the Giants could also get a long-term benefit for their QB position, so who knows. They also traded their top pass rusher. I think it's not AS cut and dry with them.

As far as a trade with Buffalo goes, I don’t hate it.  But I also think it’s entirely possible all of the guys we’re connecting with that pick are off the board.  Ward most certainly will be gone.  I could also see Vea off the board as well.

I really like Edmunds, wouldn’t mind Smith or James either. 

49 minutes ago, germ-x said:

As far as a trade with Buffalo goes, I don’t hate it.  But I also think it’s entirely possible all of the guys we’re connecting with that pick are off the board.  Ward most certainly will be gone.  I could also see Vea off the board as well.

I really like Edmunds, wouldn’t mind Smith or James either. 

If we end up going down to 12, I think we might end up trading up from that pick, like what McDaniels did to get Demaryius Thomas.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

The Giants have a significantly worse OL situation than we do though. I do agree that if the guy is transcendent, you take him, but the Giants could also get a long-term benefit for their QB position, so who knows. They also traded their top pass rusher. I think it's not AS cut and dry with them.

Yep, and the GM has a history of not trading 1st round picks. He said, you draft your future HOF player and don't get cute with it.

1. Browns - Darnold

2. Giants - Barkley

3. Jets - Mayfield

4. Browns - Chubb

The big time media mock drafts all seem to be settling in on this. The only caveat would be if someone gives the farm to the Giants for 2 to get Josh Allen. If we don’t love Allen or Rosen then I think the pick could come down to Nelson, Denzel Ward, Roquan Smith or a trade back. 

Archived