GDT Wildcard Edition: #5 Titans (9-7) vs #4 Chiefs (10-6): Saturday 4:35PM ET

TitanSlim

Just now, VY-FTW said:

Yeah I really feel like Jrob wants Josh and we wanted to fire him last week and this week. 

Do you guys think this win keeps him safe? 

After those comments it's hard to tell if I'm being honest. If we get embarrassed by the Pats/Steelers I could still see it happening.

The Tennessee Titans pulled off what seemed to be the impossible, upsetting the Kansas City Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium after trailing 21-3 at the half. Tennessee’s 22-21 comeback win propels Marcus Mariota & Co. to AFC Divisional Round.

Mariota completed 19-of-31 passes on the night, including a batted pass to himself for a six-yard touchdown in the third quarter. He added another touchdown pass to his stat sheet top go up 22-21 with 6:06 left in regulation, finding wide receiver Eric Decker for a 22-yard score.

While Mariota may have captained the comeback, but he couldn’t have righted the ship without his running back Derrick Henry. The second-year Alabama product rushed for 156 yards and one touchdown in the win.

Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith had his way with the Titans’ defense early, throwing two touchdown passes in the first two quarters of play. However, an injury to his star tight end Travis Kelce neutered Kansas City’s passing game and ultimately its offense.

With that, we give you our PFF-exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

TEN-Titans-Header.png

Top 5 Grades:

G Quinton Spain, 83.1 overall grade

DI Jurrell Casey, 82.1 overall grade

RB Derrick Henry, 81.1 overall grade

TE Delanie Walker, 80.7 overall grade

DI Sylvester Williams, 79.7 overall grade

Performances of Note:

QB Marcus Mariota, 75.0 overall grade

Mariota was especially effective on the ground in the weekend’s first playoff game, picking up four first downs on the ground while earning an 89.5 rushing grade. When it came to throwing the ball, he found most of his success in the middle of the field, completing 16-of-19 passes for 188 yards and a touchdown on passes between the numbers. He was just 3-of-10 for 16 yards and a pick on throws coming outside of the numbers. Mariota led the league with 13 interceptions this year without pressure in his face, and his interception on Saturday came from a clean pocket. If the Titans are going to advance even further in these playoffs, he’s going to have to eliminate those.

HB Derrick Henry, 81.1 overall grade

Henry earned 83 of his 156 yards after contact and forced five missed tackles on the ground. He broke out two runs of at least 15 yards in this one – a 35-yard run at the start of the fourth quarter to bring Tennesse within one score and a 22-yard dash that officially put the nail in Kansas City’s coffin – and also tacked on a 29-yard catch. Henry was clearly the focal point of the offense in the opening round. As long as Tennessee can get him going like they did today, they can give any team in the AFC a run for their money.

CB Logan Ryan, 67.0 overall grade

Sometimes it appeared as if Ryan was not even on the field, but he did play 51 snaps. However, Kansas City’s Smith was not looking his direction very often, as he was targeted just six times and even those came on short routes. Ryan did allow four receptions in the game, but they went for just 18 yards, as he was a big part of the Titans’ defense by taking away the receiver who lined up opposite of him.

DI Jurrell Casey, 82.1 overall grade

Casey showed in his first playoff game what he is capable of, as he wreaked havoc against Kansas City’s offensive line and dominated when defending the run. However, what really set him apart from the other Tennessee players was his work rushing the passer, as he led the Titans with three total pressures – all three being quarterback hurries.

The Ryan grade is weird. They spoke well of him but gave him a 67.0? Typo maybe?

TENNNNN-768x432.jpg

Like it or not we need Henry and we could do wayyyyyy worse. Missing a block here and there from a 2nd year player with no full time starter experience. Getting 150 yards rushing in a playoff game I’ll take it in mariota I trust 

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

He doesn't mention anything about the offense. How are you extracting that from that quote?

Later on in the press conference he did compliment some play designs by Robiskie in the 2nd half(granted they were worth complimenting and it's not like he's going to **** talk his OC after winning a playoff game anyway, regardless of what's gonna happen this off-season).

Between the stiff arm last week and the block tonight, Mariota is showing exactly what leading by example means. 

All the criticism about him being too quiet when he was entering the league but that shows more leadership than doing "rah rah" speeches.

21 minutes ago, VY-FTW said:

Yeah I really feel like Jrob wants Josh and we wanted to fire him last week and this week. 

Do you guys think this win keeps him safe? 

Possible the win keeps him safe but it would be so shortsided of them to keep Mularkey.  Our QB still has bad mechanics, it took 13 games for the coaching staff to play more towards the QB's strengths, and we invest in all these weapons offense but it's the defense that carries us to the post season.  

20 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Doesn't sound like a guy ready to call it quits on his OC.

Not at all.  Mularkey is an emotional idiot and lashed out like a drama queen during his pc.

One of the last eight teams still playing football after tomorrow. I'm totally fine keeping Mularkey, but I pray we bring in a OC with a strong history of developing QBs. All the tools are there, Mariota just needs a little help to push him over the top.

One really important note that can't be understated is Mariota overall played well in his first ever playoff game. That almost never happens. Heading in to today QBs starting their first playoff game were 1-10 since 2013? I think it was, that one win was Brock Osweiler last year when the Raiders were playing without Carr.

Most QBs, even really good ones, falter in their first playoff game. Manning had a 62.3 rating, Brady a 70.4, Rivers a 55.5, Roethlisberger a 57.8, Ryan a 72.8, Newton a 79.9,  etc, etc.

Mariota was at an 88.7 today, for the record. Brady's career post season QB rating is 89.0.

I know QB rating isn't the end all be all, but just a good reference point. Doesn't even factor in the runs by Marcus(or in fairness by anyone else).

Archived