Kirk Cousins - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Ghostnote

7 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Unfortunately it's not up to Kirk. He is prisoner to the tag.

Maybe if he lets it known publicly he doesn't want to be there the Redskins will jettison him. Then again, Snyder is the most petty man on the planet. 

I'd love to be the prisoner getting paid $34 mil in a year.

25 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Wrong tag. Transition Tag let’s the Skins match any offer he signs this offseason.  Cousins is staying in DC. 

Not that simple IMO. You have teams like the Jets, Browns, etc with a ton of cap room. Maybe they look at him and say they will offer him $40 for a year, and give the understanding if he signs with them they will restructure and extend to a deal they agree on upon meeting. Skins would be in cap hell if they tried to match. 

But if they do use the transition tag, I feel he will be one and done there, he has been pretty clear that he wants out. Maybe they could do it and trade him for more than the 3rd they could get in 2019 as a compensatory pick.

Just now, Sugashane said:

Not that simple IMO. You have teams like the Jets, Browns, etc with a ton of cap room. Maybe they look at him and say they will offer him $40 for a year, and give the understanding if he signs with them they will restructure and extend to a deal they agree on upon meeting. Skins would be in cap hell if they tried to match. 

But if they do use the transition tag, I feel he will be one and done there, he has been pretty clear that he wants out. Maybe they could do it and trade him for more than the 3rd they could get in 2019 as a compensatory pick.

This is completely unrealistic. No one is signing him for 40 million a year, and if they did he wouldn’t just give up the money. He will look for a long term deal and likely will become the highest paid player in the NFL. The Skins will match any realistic offer he gets, and they have the cap space to do so. 

The only way he isn’t a Redskin is if the Redskins decide that he isn’t worth the money, which they won’t do. 

23 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

This is completely unrealistic. No one is signing him for 40 million a year, and if they did he wouldn’t just give up the money. He will look for a long term deal and likely will become the highest paid player in the NFL. The Skins will match any realistic offer he gets, and they have the cap space to do so. 

The only way he isn’t a Redskin is if the Redskins decide that he isn’t worth the money, which they won’t do. 

He isn't worth $28 million a year either, but that is the cost of the transition tag for him. He will likely be the highest paid player without WAS. 

Regardless of your opinion, any team could be matched, but they might do a one year deal just to force WAS to try to re-sign him long term. Seems like he want s more than money and doesn't believe WAS can offer everything he wants.

A few teams off a one year deal and WAS matches, then he walks in 2019. He gets paid a fortune either way.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

He isn't worth $28 million a year either, but that is the cost of the transition tag for him. He will likely be the highest paid player without WAS. 

Regardless of your opinion, any team could be matched, but they might do a one year deal just to force WAS to try to re-sign him long term. Seems like he want s more than money and doesn't believe WAS can offer everything he wants.

A few teams off a one year deal and WAS matches, then he walks in 2019. He gets paid a fortune either way.

Kirk Cousins will sign a long term deal this offseason. Discussing otherwise is pointless. 

The reality of the situation is unless the Skins decide to move on, he is staying in DC. I don’t think he hates the Skins, probably just hates Bruce Allen who might not be there much longer. 

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Kirk Cousins will sign a long term deal this offseason. Discussing otherwise is pointless. 

The reality of the situation is unless the Skins decide to move on, he is staying in DC. I don’t think he hates the Skins, probably just hates Bruce Allen who might not be there much longer. 

I'm not saying he won't be a long term deal this year, I am saying it won't be with WAS. He hates Allen and wants to win, he is getting out of there with or without Allen there.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Wrong tag. Transition Tag let’s the Skins match any offer he signs this offseason.  Cousins is staying in DC. 

it also means that any team trying to sign him away could poison pill the hell out of the contract to put the Redskins in serious cap purgatory if they did exercise Right of First Refusal.  Don't forget that Steve Hutchinson was transition tagged by the Seahawks and still ended up on Vikings.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

it also means that any team trying to sign him away could poison pill the hell out of the contract to put the Redskins in serious cap purgatory if they did exercise Right of First Refusal.  Don't forget that Steve Hutchinson was transition tagged by the Seahawks and still ended up on Vikings.

Exactly my point.

Just now, The LBC said:

The poison pill is no longer allowed under nfl rules, bc of the steve hutchinson/nate burleson situation

Just now, Sugashane said:

Exactly my point.

It's kind of mine too.  I wouldn't expect the Jags to poison pill - mostly because they've got a lot of recent big free agent contracts on the books and finding a way to do it without it coming back to potentially bite them in the butt would be rather difficult.  But I can see Elway having no qualms whatsoever about doing it.  He's got few scruples, if any.

Archived