Kirk Cousins - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Ghostnote

He is once again a free agent, but at this point, he is either franchised or transition tagged. Franchised = 34M. Transition = 28M. The transition tag allows Cousins to talk with any team about a LTD but the Redskins do get a chance to match. With teams like Cleveland, NYJets, Denver, Jacksonville, Arizona, and potentially Pittsburgh all needing QB's, does he stay with the Redskins or does he move on? 

Bruce Allen has been the snake that has treated him terribly and disrespects him at every turn, yet the Redskins FO seems to think that Bruce Allen deserves to stay, but Cousins has verbally stipulated that he does not like Bruce Allen and is consistently disrepected by Allen time and time again. It is highly likely that if Bruce Allen stays, Kirk Cousins is gone. 

Another report has come out of Washington that the minority ownership of the Redskins are displeased with Bruce Allen and his ability to do his job. Especially in the handling of Kirk Cousins, football operations and his speaking in the media. They believe he needs to be let go, but that is ultimately up to the majority owner Dan Snyder. 

The two coaches that Cousins has played for have been Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay. Each now have their franchise QB's in Jimmy G. and Jared Goff. Kirk has stipulated that he would like to see how things develop with the Redskisn but has also been distant on the topic and shyed away from committing any long term plans. He rents a house from Chris Samuels during the season and lives in Atlanta or elsewhere in the off season to get away from football. 

With all of this context, is it better for Cousins to potentially ride this out and get a LTD with the Redskins or move on to another team and have to learn their system and build chemistry within that organization?

The Redskins should do everything in their power to keep him. Cousins should try to go to a team that is run better. Arizona/Jacksonville would be perfect for him, however both are highly unlikely. At the end of the day, he is going to be a Redskin as there is almost no way he doesn't stay via the transition tag.

Why did the Redskins let Garcon AND Jackson go? They were a good 1-2 punch at WR, and both had decent chemistry with Cousins. That Cousins produced even an above average season with the weapons they left him with this year is remarkable. If I was him I would want to get out town and never come back.

Arizona should make a push for him. Maybe the Giants if Eli retires, or Pitt if Ben goes.

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'd try to go if I were Kirk. Jacksonville would be my top target.

@jrry32- Gosh, jrry- I defer to you as one of the smartest posters on this site: thought I read that the Jaguars were about to hitch their wagon to the golden arm and improved mechanics of Blake Bortles for many more years?

Image result for BLAKE BORTLES

Just now, bzane said:

@jrry32- Gosh, jrry- I defer to you as one of the smartest posters on this site: thought I read that the Jaguars were about to hitch their wagon to the golden arm and improved mechanics of Blake Bortles for many more years?

Image result for BLAKE BORTLES

I've always been a big fan of Blake, but I don't think you can commit to him long term with his inconsistencies. Blake may figure that out in the future, but as it stands now, I'd take Cousins. He's a much better QB.

If I were Cousins I'd move on ASAP. The Redskins disrespected the heck out of him. The organization is a bit of a dumpster fire anyway, it's better for his career. If they try to tag him again I don't think anyone would blame him for doing whatever it takes to get away.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I've always been a big fan of Blake, but I don't think you can commit to him long term with his inconsistencies. Blake may figure that out in the future, but as it stands now, I'd take Cousins. He's a much better QB.

@jrry32 Whoops! -I looked it up, and you're right again! 

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2018/01/01/Blake-Bortles-remains-confident-despite-another-clunker/5751514789019/

Blake Bortles remains confident despite another clunker

By Bucky Dent, The Sports Xchange  |  Jan. 1, 2018 at 1:52 AM

Blake-Bortles-remains-confident-despite-another-clunker.jpg

Archived