Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

27 minutes ago, Green19 said:

That’s my point... Ball will follow Ted’s model (because he isn’t truly a talent evaluator/scout). So he will just draft and develop and all the while ignoring FA because of the issue it could cause to the cap if you miss etc.

The best play is hire Brian or Eliot as the GM and they handle all the football stuff. Promote Russ in a new position where he does the cap, and like everything else. We all heard Mark say the GMdoes more than get talent... well change that. Breakup the GM position into 2 roles... putting the best people in those specific roles.

Of course... that’s if Brian/Eliot and Russ aren’t driven by ego and want to do it all.

But I knew Russ would likely be the favorite for the job... too much noise early on about him and mark being really close.

Yea, the whole "Russ Ball for GM" movement frankly makes zero sense to me. If he gets the job I'll start to think that Murphy may be the next problem we need to fix.

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

"Philadelphia, New Orleans, Carolina, Cincinnati, Dallas and Washington all have general managers who did not come up through the scouting or coaching ranks. The Eagles, Saints and Panthers are all in the playoffs and Cincinnati went to the playoffs every year from 2011-’15."

And they are 100% responsible for making draft day choices?

I'm going to echo some of the same comments everyone else is making in here. I am vehemently against hiring Russ Ball as our next GM. However, mine purely sits on the fact that there's a lot of smoke behind Gute and Wolf leaving if this happens and typically where there is smoke there's fire. The ONLY way, I would be okay with him as our GM is if we brought in someone like Scot Mccloughan to handle our draft process. Then MAYBE I can get on board. Otherwise, I'm really fingers crossed it's Decosta /  / Gute / Mccloughan  / Wolf (in no particular order)

Just now, incognito_man said:

Nobody here has ANY clue what kinda aptitude Russ has as a 'football' guy. It's interesting to see all the strong opinions, however :)

Pretty sure those strong opinions generate from people who do know Russ Ball and have echoed that he is more of a Business driven GM as opposed to a Personnel driven GM candidate. You go with the information provided and it's been long noted that Ball is a savvy cap guy.

Just now, Nick_gb said:

Pretty sure those strong opinions generate from people who do know Russ Ball and have echoed that he is more of a Business driven GM as opposed to a Personnel driven GM candidate. You go with the information provided and it's been long noted that Ball is a savvy cap guy.

Ok, should be easy to find some comments that speak negatively about Ball's 'football guy's aptitude then. Can you share them? I'd be interested, but I've only read positive things about him on this front.

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Ok, should be easy to find some comments that speak negatively about Ball's 'football guy's aptitude then. Can you share them? I'd be interested, but I've only read positive things about him on this front.

I should ask where you're reading your "positive things" about his scouting pedigree then because everything that I read, resembles lines like this:

"If Ball lands the job, he’ll need a top scout or two to help lead the personnel department. He’s a managerial wizard, but he doesn’t have the scouting experience."

From footballfocus. So, please do share where you're reading he has a positive scouting background. I'm pretty sure you're in the minority in terms of people actually reading that about him. 

34 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I should ask where you're reading your "positive things" about his scouting pedigree then because everything that I read, resembles lines like this:

"If Ball lands the job, he’ll need a top scout or two to help lead the personnel department. He’s a managerial wizard, but he doesn’t have the scouting experience."

From footballfocus. So, please do share where you're reading he has a positive scouting background. I'm pretty sure you're in the minority in terms of people actually reading that about him. 

A "managerial wizard" as General Manager sounds good to me.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Nobody here has ANY clue what kinda aptitude Russ has as a 'football' guy. It's interesting to see all the strong opinions, however :)

Of course not. But to be fair when Green Bay has had success at the position it has been when they adhere to the Ron Wolf structure... with a scout as the GM.

13 years with Ted, 10 years with Ron.

Im totally fine with Russ if he has a strong scouting department that he trusts. And it’s really them making the calls on personnel. Like if Eliot stays to be Russ’s right hand man. Makes all the picks but Russ takes all the heat if they bust... that type of thing.

Archived