Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

2 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

or is he thinking, if i don't get the GB job i get fired from the Oak job? It was also stated that his role wasn't changing so I don't know if he can even go laterally?

I have a tough time believing Gruden would accept any job where he doesn't have significant control over personnel decisions.  I do think McKenzie turning down the GB interview was predictable when it became known that OAK still had a GM-ish role for him.

7 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Is it though? Our franchise QB is 35. The new GM will be saddled with a HC for at least a year before he can even think about hiring someone new. The ghost of GM’s past could loom large with Thompson still in the building. Of course it’s a top GM job if for no other reason then it’s GB and the history of this team but there are some factors that could be a turn off. 

I would think the fact that Rodgers is here should be enticing despite his age. If he does intend on playing for a few more years you have time to draft/develop an heir apparent instead of basically being forced to hit on your first draft pick for that superstar QB.

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

Oh I definitely agree. Just kinda thinking out loud more then anything. 

Thinking (or posting) out loud is pretty much what everyone is doing as the twists and turns come in.  Already the most entertaining off-season I've had in years.  To me, some are taking the "left field" commentary way too seriously.  Speculating on this stuff is fun.  I can worry about the ramifications of the actual decision later.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Thinking (or posting) out loud is pretty much what everyone is doing as the twists and turns come in.  Already the most entertaining off-season I've had in years.  To me, some are taking the "left field" commentary way too seriously.  Speculating on this stuff is fun.  I can worry about the ramifications of the actual decision later.

I think I bought in early on to the Ball is a slam dunk selection to be GM idea ... now I'm not so sure.  I'm very happy to see a league wide search going on for the next GM.  I hope we can actually get a couple of top minds to sit down and interview.  Deep down I think Murphy is a sharp dude .. he's going to do his due diligence .. this is a massively important decision to just limit himself to the people on hand. 

I also think what happens with McCarthy will become interesting.  He seems to be trying to threaten that he will bail if the 'fit' isn't right.  I'd pay him no attention if I was Murphy.  I'd introduce him to prospective hires and maybe allow them to chat a bit, but I would not be seeking major input from him .. doubt Murphy will be swayed.  If I'm Murphy I hire the best guy out there for the gig and if McCarthy and the new GM aren't a fit ... adios McCarthy.

This GM search is crazy. Now hearing reports that MM could walk if they hire Ball because he doesn't want him and apparently Rodgers hates the Ball idea too. If true I get it bc I think with Ball you're getting another TT who won't make any moves necessary to win now, something I'd imagine both MM and Rodgers would be vehemently against. It'll be interesting to see what plays out.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This GM search is crazy. Now hearing reports that MM could walk if they hire Ball because he doesn't want him and apparently Rodgers hates the Ball idea too. If true I get it bc I think with Ball you're getting another TT who won't make any moves necessary to win now, something I'd imagine both MM and Rodgers would be vehemently against. It'll be interesting to see what plays out.

Yeah .. that's crazy .. not sure where these rumors are coming from.  I haven't seen anything about this.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Anyone else seeing McCarthy's constant reference to "It has to be a fit" when referring to him and the GM as him speaking to Murphy about Ball? That is if the rumor is true they've had a falling out due to differences in philosophy. He said it over and over.

Personally, having gone back and actually listening too MM's presser I think my initial reaction that he'd be pro-Ball is way off. MM said quite a few things that I think were direct shots at TT and his way of doing business not being good enough. Sounds like MM agrees it's time to acquire some talent that isn't 21 and fresh off college exams, and I think he fears/knows that Ball would be status quo.

If true, it would make sense. MM wants to keep his job and to do that he needs to win and win big. To do that, he needs more talent on this roster.

Archived