Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

What would you give up for him? 

Nothing really.

If I'm stuck with one guy calling the shots, I'd rather Gutekunst be my new GM and I'd move on. 

If you were going to bring in Schneider to be your guy, why fire Thompson in the first place? The resume is the same damn thing but with Schneider bringing in the scum of the earth.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

People thrilled about firing Ted Thompson and now wanting to trade a 1st round pick for the Made in Taiwan Ted Thompson are giving me a headache.

How is Schneider a TT knockoff? Schneider trades picks easily and goes after high price FAs.

He is from the same cloth but isn’t like TT at all when it comes to building his team.

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nothing really.

If I'm stuck with one guy calling the shots, I'd rather Gutekunst be my new GM and I'd move on. 

If you were going to bring in Schneider to be your guy, why fire Thompson in the first place? The resume is the same damn thing but with Schneider bringing in the scum of the earth.

They demoted Ted because he wasn't up for doing all of his duties as a GM any longer.  He's been dialing it back for a few years now. 

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

How is Schneider a TT knockoff? Schneider trades picks easily and goes after high price FAs.

He is from the same cloth but isn’t like TT at all when it comes to building his team.

I look at what the Seahawks have done in Free Agency and what Thompson has done in Free Agency and I see striking similarities when in the same situation. Situations have been very different. When both teams have had a ton of their own to resign, they've either stayed out of the market or they've looked for vet stopgaps. The difference between Free Agency approaches has had a lot to do simply with talent on the roster getting paid.

You look at the Seahawks roster now and after cutting Chancellor and Avril with roll over and draft included, they're going to have 22ish million in cap space to spend.  That's with Graham and Richardson hitting Free Agency along with a lot of other warm bodies. I'd bet good money that Schneider isn't very active in Free Agency this year. Just doesn't have the room to spend, and that's where Thompson has been for a long time.

Trades I agree with you on, but man I'm not loving the return value on a lot of these. 

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They demoted Ted because he wasn't up for doing all of his duties as a GM any longer.  He's been dialing it back for a few years now. 

I've not seen this anywhere. For all the complaints about not being active in Free Agency, we were pretty damn active in Free Agency this year. 

I would be very surprised if the demotion was spurred by anything other than fear that you they were going to lose the heir apparent and Ted being "readyish" to step down. While I firmly believe that the decision was made by Murphy, I highly doubt it gets made as a pure annual job evaluation decision. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I've not seen this anywhere. For all the complaints about not being active in Free Agency, we were pretty damn active in Free Agency this year. 

I would be very surprised if the demotion was spurred by anything other than fear that you they were going to lose the heir apparent and Ted being "readyish" to step down. While I firmly believe that the decision was made by Murphy, I highly doubt it gets made as a pure annual job evaluation decision. 

I do think it was mainly a mutual decision.  They wouldn't be keeping him on staff if it was a true firing. He was on board with the decision that was made.  Heck, Ted would be all over that Houston GM gig if he was a few years younger and in better health. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Couldn’t agree more. IMO, Murphy is being prudential towards the long term success of the franchise. 

AG, would there be any front office exec you’d blow a high pick on? 

I don't think Schneider would have signed an extension that deletes his out clause to GB if he were interested in coming back.  

He did this knowing in all likelihood that GB would be seeking a new GM within 2 years.  I think GB made an inquiry knowing they would be denied.

I'd be surprised if any compensation is offered or even if Seattle asks for compensation.  DeCosta will be the last outside candidate with a chance for an interview and he has turned down multiple GM interviews in the past waiting for Newsome to retire.

Our new GM will be one of our three internal guys.  I don't think there's much doubt.

Just now, dcerb44 said:

Couldn’t agree more. IMO, Murphy is being prudential towards the long term success of the franchise. 

I'm not AG, but there isn't for me. GB can attract the best of the best without using up capital for this position.

I mean other than BB I suppose.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There were stories a year or more ago about Ted delegating more stuff.  He had a hip surgery that he never quite bounced back from fully.  In the press conference Murphy said they had discussed this move at various times. 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm not AG, but there isn't for me. GB can attract the best of the best without using up capital for this position.

I mean other than BB I suppose.

That’s pretty much the only guy I had in mind too and it had more to do with the fact he’d coach as well. 

Cant really think of an example of a team using a high value pick for a FO executive and it panning  out. 

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I look at what the Seahawks have done in Free Agency and what Thompson has done in Free Agency and I see striking similarities when in the same situation. Situations have been very different. When both teams have had a ton of their own to resign, they've either stayed out of the market or they've looked for vet stopgaps. The difference between Free Agency approaches has had a lot to do simply with talent on the roster getting paid.

You look at the Seahawks roster now and after cutting Chancellor and Avril with roll over and draft included, they're going to have 22ish million in cap space to spend.  That's with Graham and Richardson hitting Free Agency along with a lot of other warm bodies. I'd bet good money that Schneider isn't very active in Free Agency this year. Just doesn't have the room to spend, and that's where Thompson has been for a long time.

Trades I agree with you on, but man I'm not loving the return value on a lot of these. 

This is all fair. My main point on Schneider is I believe the Packers BELIEVE Schneider would be the ideal candidate because he represents the most stable option and keeping all the pieces in place.

Murphy’s press conference was weird. The GM has the power to hire and fire the HC... so what does that mean for Mike, oh Mikes our guy. Wait what? I think this is the case because they want one of their guys. Reggie declined, Dorsey can’t be it, Ball jeopardizes McCarthy (per reports).

So that leaves Eliot, Brian and Schneider. I get the feeling they aren’t sold on Eliot or Brian. But it comes down to if they want to give up a ton for a John. If not they might be force to just roll with Brian or Eliot.

7 minutes ago, dcerb44 said:

Belichick, which would be the most amazing thing ever but obviously won't happen despite what appears to be Tom Brady's best covert efforts.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

This is all fair. My main point on Schneider is I believe the Packers BELIEVE Schneider would be the ideal candidate because he represents the most stable option and keeping all the pieces in place.

Murphy’s press conference was weird. The GM has the power to hire and fire the HC... so what does that mean for Mike, oh Mikes our guy. Wait what? I think this is the case because they want one of their guys. Reggie declined, Dorsey can’t be it, Ball jeopardizes McCarthy (per reports).

So that leaves Eliot, Brian and Schneider. I get the feeling they aren’t sold on Eliot or Brian. But it comes down to if they want to give up a ton for a John. If not they might be force to just roll with Brian or Eliot.

I think it’s due more to the fact they want stability for the final years. The GM has to coexist with Mac and Rodge. Obviously they greatly believe in Mac’s ability to turn the ship around. Thus, it’d make sense to find candidates who would work well with the pairing we currently have. 

Saw people upset the other day when it came to light Mac has a role in the hiring process. Don’t think there’s anything wrong with that because he’s not making the final decision, just giving a voice. The worst possible scenario would be bringing someone in who has different values/goals than Mac and company and this point in time. 

Archived