• Baker Mayfield
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Nick Fitzgerald
    • Drew Lock
    • Luke Falk
    • Mason Rudolph
    • Riley Ferguson
    • Jarrett Stidham

I wanted to do a poll, I realize this is kind of between the QB for the next year and the prospect thread. But say the Vikings lock up Keenum for 3 years with an out and they probably rightfully so don't think he's the long term option at QB. So the Vikings go and grab a QB in the 1st round (or trade into the high 2nd round) and grab one - or even a project QB who they want to take over in a few years, who would you want them to take?

2 minutes ago, golf333333 said:

Love Baker Mayfield. The easy, lazy comparison that people will make is Manziel. Why not Russell Wilson?

He'd be my preferred QB as well. I think that he is closer to Russell Wilson who is a bit full of himself too, but both seem to be good on the field leaders and respected by their teams. I don't think that Manziel ever had that even in college. People put up with him because he won games.

Lamar Jackson would also be kind of interesting because he seems like he could be a very good player, he just needs more time than a worse team would be able to give him to learn.

I'm personally not a huge fan of Mayfield because of his attitude, which I don't think would go over well in the Vikings' locker room, but have not done a deep dive on the subject yet, considering where our team is at right now.  Skill-wise though, I like Lamar Jackson, as I think eventually he'll be a better pro player than he is in college.  

Signing Keenum and drafting a guy like Mayfield immediately thereafter is a solid way to enhance locker room cohesion. Wait...what’s the opposite of that? Chaos? Because that’s what it would be. 

If you sign Keenum, you don’t draft his replacement before he plays a snap on his new deal. Especially a “look at me” guy like Mayfield. 

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Signing Keenum and drafting a guy like Mayfield immediately thereafter is a solid way to enhance locker room cohesion. Wait...what’s the opposite of that? Chaos? Because that’s what it would be. 

SCHISM!

You don’t sign a guy like Keenum and act like he’s the QBotF, either. 

Keenum, if he’s named the starter, would likely sign a 3-4 year deal, a rookie will have a 4-5 year deal. There’d be no pressure to start the rookie, unless Keenum falters. And if that happens, the team and fans will be glad they’ve got a talent young, QB. 

17 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I would go after a 2nd-3rd round guy like Lock / Falk / Rudolph. Someone with upside that could compete in the future, but not expected to unseat Keenum right away. 

Why does a first rounder have to unseat Keenum right away? Why couldn’t Keenum be the starter for a year or two, while the rookie learns? Kansas City didn’t draft Mahomes with the expectation of him unseating Smith. 

Mae all know how important the QB position is, so why intentionally go after a less talented player? 

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why does a first rounder have to unseat Keenum right away? Why couldn’t Keenum be the starter for a year or two, while the rookie learns? Kansas City didn’t draft Mahomes with the expectation of him unseating Smith. 

Mae all know how important the QB position is, so why intentionally go after a less talented player? 

No, but the Chiefs probably could have waited until their original pick to get him too....that pick was indicative of the Dorsey era.  :D

Archived