• Nick Fitzgerald
    • Drew Lock
    • Luke Falk
    • Mason Rudolph
    • Riley Ferguson
    • Jarrett Stidham

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

Sloter is still likely just a 3rd QB. 

I am not saying I disagree with you on this, but if that is true, why not trade him then?  If he didn't have the potential to be a decent #2 at the very least, then they should have traded him for draft pick(s).  You can find #3 Qb's very easily.

1 minute ago, golf333333 said:

There are players on every roster every year who could be traded because they aren't every day players but still aren't traded. Maybe because his value as a 3rd string/backup type QB is higher than the value of the pick we would receive if he would be traded...? We can sit here all day and say he had trade value, but obviously that wasn't the case. He's being held on to because what was offered for him is less than what he brings to the team, not because he's in the plans as a future starter.

But #3 QB's bring very little to the team, unless they have some future potential either as a reliable #2 or a starter.  Other positions are different, they can at least rotate in at times or play special teams.  It doesn't make sense to hold on to Sloter unless they see something in him.  Plus, the reports were of multiple teams inquiring about him, which makes it all the more likely that there were some decent trade offers on the table.

9 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

But #3 QB's bring very little to the team, unless they have some future potential either as a reliable #2 or a starter.  Other positions are different, they can at least rotate in at times or play special teams.  It doesn't make sense to hold on to Sloter unless they see something in him.  Plus, the reports were of multiple teams inquiring about him, which makes it all the more likely that there were some decent trade offers on the table.

Keenum was brought in to be short term QB2/long term QB3 on this team and look how that worked out... they do have value as a future reliable 2, or at least a scout team type guy with potential.  It makes sense to hold on to a guy that you've invested some amount of time in unless the offer to trade him was higher than his value. Which, as I think is obvious, it was not. Reports or no reports, he would've been traded had the offer to go get him be good unless you think Spielman is incompetent, so I'll let you put 2 and 2 together.

1 hour ago, perrynoid said:

I am not saying I disagree with you on this, but if that is true, why not trade him then?  If he didn't have the potential to be a decent #2 at the very least, then they should have traded him for draft pick(s).  You can find #3 Qb's very easily.

I’m sure Spielman does feel that Sloter is a potential backup, maybe even more, but that doesn’t mean he’s comfortable with him being the backup next year.

Really tough choice for me here.  Mayfield is better imo right now, but I would just love to be the team that takes a chance on Jackson and helps him reach his ceiling.

This would be such a great situation for him to develop in as well and man I think he's going to be so much fun on Sundays.

I voted Mayfield, but wanted to say my piece about Jackson haha

54 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Sloter is a potential qb2 next year. Anything is possible this off season. Hell many here thought this season was over after losing Cook & that 1st lost to Detroit.

I have hard time believing Sloter will go into camp as the primary backup. I don’t think that will happen . Maybe he has a tremendous camp and unexpectedly beats someone out, but I don’t think it will be the plan.

16 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I have hard time believing Sloter will go into camp as the primary backup. I don’t think that will happen . Maybe he has a tremendous camp and unexpectedly beats someone out, but I don’t think it will be the plan.

I don't think it's the "plan A" but a possibility.

14 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think I've seen enough. Its a no for Josh Allen. 

I want to see more Drew Lock. Haven't seen anything on him. Anyone have an opinion on him?

I worry Lamar Jackson is an injury waiting to happen with how many hits he takes.

I only saw Drew Lock play 1 game...he looked good, but his completion percentage scares me.  

One thing that hasn’t really been talked about, are we confident that our current coaching staff, Shurmur included, can develop a young quarterback? 

Shurmur has been great at adapting his scheme to fit the strengths of his players, especially the QB, but that’s with QBs like Bradford and Keenum. Who are both 29/30 year old QBs, who likely are what they are in terms of fundamentals and mechanics. 

Do we think we have the right coaches in place to teach and develop a young, raw QB? Only Pat Shurmur has any experience, as an offensive coach, and he’s never spent more than two seasons with a young QB (2007-08 in Philadelphia with Kevin Kolb, 2010 in St. Louis with Sam Bradford, 2012 in Cleveland with Brandon Weeden, and 2013-14 in Philadelphia with Matt Barkley). 

Archived