Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

13 hours ago, StartBarr said:

Why yes, yes it does. Hopefully this pattern continues with whatever 4th round rookie ILB we start next to Barnes if Campbell prices himself out of town.

I think the Campbell negotiations were about finding out what they will need to do with other contracts and moves to get him in.  I'd be surprised if he's not a Packer next year.  Still got some work to do, and they have a couple of higher priorities, but I believe he's a upper target for them.

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Assuming my math is right, we're about $42.7M over the cap right now.  Preston Smith ($12.5M), Za'Darius Smith ($15.3M), and Randall Cobb ($6.7M) combine for about $34.5M saved.  Spotrac has us at $37.7M over right now, while OTC has us at $42.7M.  We're close enough within striking distance either way, but we have a gaping hole at EDGE now.

No doubt about the hole at EDGE. Gary is a complete stud though and we'd have to get a guy. I guess I'm still hoping we trade Rodgers which could get us a Karlaftis or Ojabo in the draft with the Rodgers 1st we'd get back, among other picks/players. Might have to double dip at EDGE though. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

This one was expected and glad they got almost 11 million in cap reduction. The two Smith's and Cobb cuts get us under the cap I do believe. Anticipating at least one of the Smith's is cut the other possibly extended. Cobb is s no brainer and so is Crosby. 

Let's sign/extend Jaire and get his number down by 6-8 million next. 

BTW, this move was happening regardless of the Rodgers situation. I think they are moving on these now to get in a situation to tag Adams. 

Some sort of restructure on Clark was inevitable. 

If we are going down the void years and max cap kicking though we really need to be bringing Rodgers back. I completely get why some want to trade him which is fine. But if you are trading him then you want to keep restructures and void years to a minimum with more cuts instead.

Buying on credit makes sense if you are going for a title.  It does not if you are not. Weakening the 2025 team to help the 2022 team get to 6-11 instead of 4-13 is poor management. 

Need to go down one path or the other.  Not stuck in the middle with a mediocre team and lots of future cap debts. 

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Interesting.   2 voided years to push it out as far as possible.   Clark is likely a good option for a 3rd contract, so the voided years probably won't come into play

All void years mean is that you push 5m out beyond the current contract.

It comes into play either way.  Either you pay 5m to a player who has left or pay an extra 5m on top of his next contract.  

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I think the Campbell negotiations were about finding out what they will need to do with other contracts and moves to get him in.  I'd be surprised if he's not a Packer next year.  Still got some work to do, and they have a couple of higher priorities, but I believe he's a upper target for them.

I think this is wishful thinking, the Packers can't pay close to what he will get on the open market.

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Thinking he really gets broke off or thinking 5m is too much?

Comp's probably are Eric Kendricks 10M per year, Blake Martinez 10.25M, Matt Milano 10.375M, Joe Schobert 10.75M, Cory Littleton 11.75M.  

Absolutely no way we will continue to keep 3 kickers for long. One will be getting cut very soon.

New ST staff, new opinions.

The old staff who probably cannot be trusted when it comes to evaluating players thought JJ Molson was worth keeping. I strongly suspect Bisaccia will have other ideas and will cut him and let the German guy and Crosby compete instead.

I don't think we will cut Crosby until the last possible moment out of respect for him. If they can find a way to keep him through training camp then they will. He's a well liked, long term fixture in Green Bay and the Packers will want to handle this well.

When all is said and done I strongly suspect we will have a completely new ST unit. New long snapper, new punter, new kicker, new returners etc..

4 minutes ago, R T said:

Comp's probably are Eric Kendricks 10M per year, Blake Martinez 10.25M, Matt Milano 10.375M, Joe Schobert 10.75M, Cory Littleton 11.75M.  

I was looking at the kendricks deal as well. Starts at <5 per year and escalates from in year 3 of the extension

I believe they handed kendricks the deal when they were going through so cap trepidation too.

Edited by HighCalebR

29 minutes ago, R T said:

I think this is wishful thinking, the Packers can't pay close to what he will get on the open market.

The Packers have reportedly talked to him in the past few days.  and Gute said this morning "We are optimistic about getting him in the fold".    We'll see.

Edited by NFLGURU

39 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Some sort of restructure on Clark was inevitable. 

If we are going down the void years and max cap kicking though we really need to be bringing Rodgers back. I completely get why some want to trade him which is fine. But if you are trading him then you want to keep restructures and void years to a minimum with more cuts instead.

Buying on credit makes sense if you are going for a title.  It does not if you are not. Weakening the 2025 team to help the 2022 team get to 6-11 instead of 4-13 is poor management. 

Need to go down one path or the other.  Not stuck in the middle with a mediocre team and lots of future cap debts. 

You need to go down that road to tag Adams as well. If you aren't extending either Smith, Adams or Rodgers a few of these contracts with void years is not going to do us great harm going forward. The cap space we have in 2023 and 2024 is significant and as others have pointed out, if we give Clark a 3rd contract it's a moot point to some degree. 

I'd rather have a few contracts with void years than allow Adams to walk in FA without more than a 3rd NEXT year. 

Rachel Hopmayer -  Tom Silverstein asks Packers Gutekunst what's changed with team's financial philosophy: "I'm blaming it on the pandemic ... at the same time, our football team is in a position right now where I think we'd like to compete for championships." Credits Russ Ball's creativity w cap.