Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just runnung a few mock draft simulators and I have never had one of Olave, Burks, WIlson, Williams or London be available at the 22nd pick. IF we wanted one of these premium WRs I think we would have to trade up a few spots, maybe cost us our 3rd rounder. 

At first I was against firmly against a trade for Metcalf but if Metcalf could be had for our 1st rounder is that a better option than a 1st and a 3rd for an unknown but cheap option?

5 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

At first I was against firmly against a trade for Metcalf but if Metcalf could be had for our 1st rounder is that a better option than a 1st and a 3rd for an unknown but cheap option?

No.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Just runnung a few mock draft simulators and I have never had one of Olave, Burks, WIlson, Williams or London be available at the 22nd pick. IF we wanted one of these premium WRs I think we would have to trade up a few spots, maybe cost us our 3rd rounder. 

What simulator are you using? I've been using The Draft Network and there has been at least one of those WRs available in 100% of the mocks I've done.

The way I see it, there are 14 guys who are likely to go before our pick:

• OL - Neal
  • OL - Ekwonu
  • OL - Cross 
  • OL - Penning
  • DL - Davis
  • EDGE - Hutchinson
  • EDGE - Thibodeaux
  • EDGE - Walker
  • EDGE - Johnson
  • EDGE - Karlaftis (maybe not, but I'd happily take him if he's available)
  • CB - Gardner
  • CB - Stingley
  • CB - McDuffie
  • S - Hamilton

Which means if you want one of the "big 5" WR to be available, you just need 3 other guys to go ahead of our pick. These are some of the names I've seen mocked ahead of us, and of course there are others:

• QB - Willis
  • QB - Pickett
  • OL - Linderbaum
  • OL - Green
  • OL - Johnson
  • DL - Wyatt
  • LB - Lloyd
  • LB - Dean
  • CB - Booth
  • S - Hill

Crazier things have happened, but I'd be pretty surprised if 5 WR go in the first 21 picks.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

What simulator are you using? I've been using The Draft Network and there has been at least one of those WRs available in 100% of the mocks I've done.

• OL - Neal
  • OL - Ekwonu
  • OL - Cross 
  • OL - Penning
  • DL - Davis
  • EDGE - Hutchinson
  • EDGE - Thibodeaux
  • EDGE - Walker
  • EDGE - Johnson
  • CB - Gardner
  • CB - Stingley
  • CB - McDuffie
  • S - Hamilton

Which means if you want one of the "big 5" WR to be available, you just need 3 other guys to go ahead of our pick. These are some of the names I've seen mocked ahead of us, and of course there are others:

• QB - Willis
  • QB - Pickett
  • OL - Linderbaum
  • OL - Green
  • OL - Johnson
  • DL - Wyatt
  • LB - Lloyd
  • LB - Dean
  • CB - Booth
  • S - Hill

Crazier things have happened, but I'd be pretty surprised if 5 WR go in the first 21 picks.

I think this is a pretty good list. Hopefully, the big 5 WR's as you refer to them are gone and we can get a couple of those guys in your top however many that is with picks 22 and 28. There should be a good WR in round 2 for the taking. 

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

How about neither of those options. How about we trade back one of our 1st to early second and get George Pickett and pick up an additional 4th round pick. Use the additional 4th to grab another developmental WR and then sign a vet after the June 1 cuts. 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

How about neither of those options. How about we trade back one of our 1st to early second and get George Pickett and pick up an additional 4th round pick. Use the additional 4th to grab another developmental WR and then sign a vet after the June 1 cuts. 

I would love Pickens to be a Packer. I honestly cant say how great a route runner he is - but I love the way he catches the ball.

All I'd add is dont get greedy and lose him......

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I would love Pickens to be a Packer. I honestly cant say how great a route runner he is - but I love the way he catches the ball.

All I'd add is dont get greedy and lose him......

That is a very valid point and the difficulty/gamble of the draft. 

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

• OL - Neal
  • OL - Ekwonu
  • OL - Cross 
  • OL - Penning
  • DL - Davis
  • EDGE - Hutchinson
  • EDGE - Thibodeaux
  • EDGE - Walker
  • EDGE - Johnson
  • CB - Gardner
  • CB - Stingley
  • CB - McDuffie
  • S - Hamilton

• QB - Willis
  • QB - Pickett
  • OL - Linderbaum
  • OL - Green
  • OL - Johnson
  • DL - Wyatt
  • LB - Lloyd
  • LB - Dean
  • CB - Booth
  • S - Hill

Nice job organizing the list. The "big 5" thing caught my eye, no one is actually claiming there is a big 5 with this group of WR's are they? After London there is not much separating the next 10-12 WR's. The Packers hardly need to force the issue at #22 or #28.    

Edited by R T

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

The caveat being there might be 3 'guys' at 28 and we have a very solid feeling one would be there at 35. 

Agreed as well. If that's the case then I can imagine someone leapfrogging the Lions to get one of the QBs and finding us as a natural partner. But if we feel GP is the guy, then no way do I risk trading down

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think this is a pretty good list. Hopefully, the big 5 WR's as you refer to them are gone and we can get a couple of those guys in your top however many that is with picks 22 and 28. There should be a good WR in round 2 for the taking. 

I keep seeing you post against trading for a WR and against drafting one in the first round. So just curious...what is your plan for solving the massive hole at that position? 

22 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I keep seeing you post against trading for a WR and against drafting one in the first round. So just curious...what is your plan for solving the massive hole at that position? 

I don't see it as the 'big' five at WR. I think it is a very deep WR class. I think starters are available through mid-round 2. I'd be happy with any of these guys in round 2: PIckett, Watson, Pierce and Skyy Moore. I don't see Moore as just a slot and think he's going to be an absolutely stud. Great route runner, quick and fast. 

Then I'd grad another guy in round 3 or 4. I guy who is just a football player who didn't test well is David Bell. I'd grab him in round 3 in a second. I see James Jones. 

Then, I'd grab a vet after June 1st. 

Round 1 and one pick in round two I'd like three of these positions addressed: OT, EDGE, DL and S or CB. Love to have Karlaftis fall in our lap at 22. He seems to be dropping but just think he's a good football player. IF we could get Winfrey in round two as another inside pass rusher I'd be thrilled. 

I do appreciate you asking though. I completely get why folks want to go WR. In fact, I see why people want to double dip on WR in round 1. It's not the course I'd take because I want to also round out the defense. 

Finally, I absolutely get why you want Olave. He could be very special. Ohio State WR don't seem to disappoint either. If we took him at 22, I would be pissed. It's just not the course of action I'd take. 

Edited by Old Guy