Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Baltimore for sure. One could say Tampa won the Super Bowl with Brady because of the defense. 

NE when they beat the Rams. Seattle when they won it was because of the defense. 

There are others but those off the top of my mind. 

Broncos with Manning were all defense that season.  Only game they moved the ball was against the Packers, LOL.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the recent examples. Sounds like some could be argued are balanced teams.

I think this does kill the concept of "defense wins championships" a bit. In this day and age an elite offense is enough - the rule changes made sure of it. Defenses can win championships, but no longer are a prerequisite.

I can see Jordan Love taking this team to a deep playoff run. It's a weak conference and we have a weak schedule. Even if Joe Barry leads an average defense, that might be enough to do it.

That could be the same reason Rodgers decides to come back.

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

Thank you all for the recent examples. Sounds like some could be argued are balanced teams.

I think this does kill the concept of "defense wins championships" a bit. In this day and age an elite offense is enough - the rule changes made sure of it. Defenses can win championships, but no longer are a prerequisite.

I can see Jordan Love taking this team to a deep playoff run. It's a weak conference and we have a weak schedule. Even if Joe Barry leads an average defense, that might be enough to do it.

That could be the same reason Rodgers decides to come back.

I think a healthy Brock Purdy might have beaten the Iggles and the Chiefs this year. That would have definitely been a defense wins championships type of team.

Our third-place schedule is only two games different than the schedule of the Vikings, Lions and Bears. 

Edited by Old Guy

Also, let’s not act like every single “GOAT SUPER BOWL COMEBACK” doesn’t start with an elite defensive performance to even get to the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs defense effectively gave up 28 points.

If they gave up 28 points to the Jaguars, no Super Bowl. 24 points to Burrow and no Super Bowl.

24 points is the new standard for defenses in today's NFL. You allow under 24 points and odds are you're gonna win. Chiefs allowed over 24 points  only 5 times this season.

That said, the 24 points average postseason for the Chiefs defense is tied for the highest points average in a Super Bowl winning team all-time.

I don't care how good your offense is, there's just zero chance you're winning a Super Bowl if your team isn't capable of holding a team under 24 points once or twice against the best of the best  teams.

Chiefs - 26.3
Rams - 19.3
Buccaneers - 19.5
Chiefs - 22.6
Patriots - 20.6
Eagles - 16.6
Patriots - 18.0
Broncos - 14.6
Patriots - 18.3
Seahawks - 13.3
Ravens - 18.0
Giants - 14.0
Packers - 19.0
Saints - 19.6
Steelers - 19.6
Giants - 16.3
Colts - 12.8
Steelers - 15.5
Patriots - 17.0
Patriots - 19.0
Buccaneers - 12.3
Patriots - 15.6
Ravens - 5.7
Rams - 19.6
Broncos - 10.6
Broncos 16.3
Packers - 16.0
Cowboys - 18.3
Niners - 18.3
Cowboys - 17.0
Cowboys - 15.7
Redskins - 13.7
Giants - 11.7
Niners - 15
Niners - 7 (Joe Montana was so fantastic only having to score an average of 8 points)
Redskins - 12.3
Giants - 7.7
Bears - 3.3
Niners - 6.3 (Montana was so fantastic only having to score an average of a touchdown)
Raiders - 11.0
Redskins - 10.3
Niners - 24 (This one was the most impressive Super Bowl win from a QB from a points against perspective, but Montana threw 6 touchdowns to 4 interceptions in 3 games).  
Raiders - 12.5
Steelers - 13.0
Steelers - 12.3
Cowboys - 7.7
Raiders - 14.0
Steelers - 12.3
Steelers - 9.0
Dolphins - 8.7
Dolphins - 10.3
Cowboys - 5.3
Colts - 10.0
Chiefs - 4.3
Jets - 12.3
Packers - 10.3
Packers - 18.5

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

Paul Bretl -  Today is the deadline for GB to extend Amos, Crosby, Lowry, Lewis, Reed, Cobb, or Tonyan, otherwise their contracts will void. If no extensions take place, a total of $16.4M in dead cap will be on the books for these players, even if they play elsewhere

45 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Offense and defense are more codependent than people give credit for. A defense paired with an offense that sustains long drives looks better than the same defense that is paired with an offense that keeps having turnovers and 3-outs, especially later in the game. 

This is true, but I hate this mentality. You should make your defense based on creating turnovers and stopping teams from gaining yards and scoring points period.

Building a defense around what kind of offense you have is dumber than ****.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think a healthy Brock Purdy might have beaten the Iggles and the Chiefs this year. That would have definitely been a defense wins championships type of team.

Our third-place schedule is only two games different than the schedule of the Vikings, Lions and Bears. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, let’s not act like every single “GOAT SUPER BOWL COMEBACK” doesn’t start with an elite defensive performance to even get to the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs defense effectively gave up 28 points.

If they gave up 28 points to the Jaguars, no Super Bowl. 24 points to Burrow and no Super Bowl.

24 points is the new standard for defenses in today's NFL. You allow under 24 points and odds are you're gonna win. Chiefs allowed over 24 points  only 5 times this season.

That said, the 24 points average postseason for the Chiefs defense is tied for the highest points average in a Super Bowl winning team all-time.

I don't care how good your offense is, there's just zero chance you're winning a Super Bowl if your team isn't capable of holding a team under 24 points once or twice against the best of the best  teams.

Chiefs - 26.3
Rams - 19.3
Buccaneers - 19.5
Chiefs - 22.6
Patriots - 20.6
Eagles - 16.6
Patriots - 18.0
Broncos - 14.6
Patriots - 18.3
Seahawks - 13.3
Ravens - 18.0
Giants - 14.0
Packers - 19.0
Saints - 19.6
Steelers - 19.6
Giants - 16.3
Colts - 12.8
Steelers - 15.5
Patriots - 17.0
Patriots - 19.0
Buccaneers - 12.3
Patriots - 15.6
Ravens - 5.7
Rams - 19.6
Broncos - 10.6
Broncos 16.3
Packers - 16.0
Cowboys - 18.3
Niners - 18.3
Cowboys - 17.0
Cowboys - 15.7
Redskins - 13.7
Giants - 11.7
Niners - 15
Niners - 7 (Joe Montana was so fantastic only having to score an average of 8 points)
Redskins - 12.3
Giants - 7.7
Bears - 3.3
Niners - 6.3 (Montana was so fantastic only having to score an average of a touchdown)
Raiders - 11.0
Redskins - 10.3
Niners - 24 (This one was the most impressive Super Bowl win from a QB from a points against perspective, but Montana threw 6 touchdowns to 4 interceptions in 3 games).  
Raiders - 12.5
Steelers - 13.0
Steelers - 12.3
Cowboys - 7.7
Raiders - 14.0
Steelers - 12.3
Steelers - 9.0
Dolphins - 8.7
Dolphins - 10.3
Cowboys - 5.3
Colts - 10.0
Chiefs - 4.3
Jets - 12.3
Packers - 10.3
Packers - 18.5

My musings are more in line with how having an elite defense used to be a requirement for a SB win...nowadays it seems that a hot defense or an elite QB are more important.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is true, but I hate this mentality. You should make your defense based on creating turnovers and stopping teams from gaining yards and scoring points period.

Building a defense around what kind of offense you have is dumber than ****.

I'm not talking about how to build it, more about how the stats and rankings will shake out.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Offense and defense are more codependent than people give credit for. A defense paired with an offense that sustains long drives looks better than the same defense that is paired with an offense that keeps having turnovers and 3-outs, especially later in the game. 

This is accounted for in DVOA

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Oh damn I remember that game. I had a meltdown.

That was one of the worst Packers games that I can remember.  It is up there with the Seattle game where they were so afraid of Richard Sherman that they didn't even throw to one side of the field, and the Baltimore game in Sherman's last season when Favre threw an arm punt and everyone but Donald Driver just quit.

12 hours ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -  Today is the deadline for GB to extend Amos, Crosby, Lowry, Lewis, Reed, Cobb, or Tonyan, otherwise their contracts will void. If no extensions take place, a total of $16.4M in dead cap will be on the books for these players, even if they play elsewhere

1. did we extend any of them? 

2. When they sign elsewhere are we able to get comp picks if the contract warrants it. Thinking Tonyan, Amos might get us one. 

3. If we didn't sign any of them, you can kiss Rodgers *** goodbye for sure.