Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

11 hours ago, Sandy said:

Agreed, but on here there's been a lot of chatter about Jones getting cut.

I actually thought an extension might have been on the table, and really wouldn't have minded it since we've intentionally kept his workload low. Could be a Tiki Barber type who can continue to excel into his early 30s.

And I'd chalk that up to not being very realistic discussion.  LIS, if you listen to the comments from Gute after the season, it was very clear the Packers were planning on bringing him back.  Obviously, he wasn't going to come with that $20M+ cap hit but he was going to be back in some regard.  Even if they max restructured him, they would have saved about the same amount of money that they did with this new deal and restructure.  I have to give credit to Aaron Jones.  He was willing to take a paycut to stay in Green Bay, and most players aren't willing to do so.

I too thought that an extension was in play for Aaron Jones.  And quite frankly, I think he had the leverage to do so.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Jones fumbles on roughly 1% of his touches.  In 2022, he fumbled on 1.8% of his touches.  That is higher, but I don't feel like he is a fumbling machine.  

On his career, Ahman Green fumbled on about 1.5% of his touches.  That really is quite a difference.  Jones' 5 fumbles this year would be tied for Ahman's 4th worst number.  And this was only the second time that Jones had more than 2 fumbles on a season.  I am much more worried that Romeo Doubs will fumble than I am Aaron Jones.

Problem is Doubs won't have the ball in his hands in a big moment/game like Jones will, who now has a history of game breaking turnovers.

Bigger problem is if your entire offensive philosophy in current day and age in the NFL is built through a RB... A highly paid one at that, your team is ******* built wrong. But here we are.

I hope Gute stubs his toe this month and has to resign before any more damage can be done.

Edited by Laces Out

Apologies now for a rant post! I just can't believe some of the comments here with regards to Jones and him sticking around. Things I’ve heard like that we would be the same without him with Dillon being the leading back and some rookie!!!

Do you realise that the Packers had the best running back duo in the NFL last season in terms of yards rushing and receiving. And they were only marginally behind the Browns, by 11 yards, as the leading rushing combo in the NFL?!?! This for a team that gets accused of not running the ball that much!!!!

These two guys are dynamite, and some fans want to break that up?!?!?! This is the strength of the team, every other team would be drooling over having our two running backs. I just don’t get how spoiled our fans. I saw yesterday on Twitter someone had a poll going and in the blurb around the poll he called Jones ‘quality’, Jones actually responded and said ‘I think I’m more than just a quality running back’

On top of that look at the amount of cap that is eaten up Jones and Dillon, it is peanuts, last year 3.41%. Compare that to the Cowboys who had the third best running back combo and they ate up 8.78% of the cap. And then this year Zeke is a candidate to be cut with no more guaranteed coin and poor production and Pollard is a free agent. Hunt is a free agent in Cleveland, so him and Chubb will be no more. All these guys are either free agents or want a new deal: Jacobs in Las Vegas, Barkley in NYG and Williams in Detroit.

The great thing is with all these running back becoming free agents, the chance that the Packers can repeat this feat with these two guys is pretty high baring any injury etc.

So we have got the best production and at a silly low cap hit rate, which has only gone up slightly to 4.36%. this year and is still incredibly low.

This is a slam dunk great news for the Packers and I’m surprised it has been questioned at all!!!!

Rant over!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Laces Out said:

Problem is Doubs won't have the ball in his hands in a big moment/game like Jones will, who now has a history of game breaking turnovers.

Bigger problem is if your entire offensive philosophy in current day and age in the NFL is built through a RB... A highly paid one at that, your team is ******* built wrong. But here we are.

I hope Gute stubs his toe this month and has to resign before any more damage can be done.

The Packer's entire offensive philosophy in current day and age being built through a RB was for this year only and by necessity.  You must have been in a cave the past few years as that certainly wasn't the case.   Losing Adams with nobody else to replace him and an Ol in flux forced the team to take a rb oriented scheme.  LOL, this team certainly hasn't been an offense that runs 1st and passes later; far from it. 

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The cap increases every year. What @incognito_mansaid is not an opinion, it's a fact. Next year is supposed to be potentially a 30+ mil increase. 

10m this year is 8.77 mil next year.

You both missed the point. If you overspend as a football team or individuals in the real world, that spending will need to be accounted for at some point. Simply living will the idea that the cap will go up doesn't make it a level playing field for the future if a team has already used that 'pay raise' to pay the interest on bad credit card debt vs. teams that didn't mortgage their futures for the current moment.

Individuals end up in bankruptcy, NFL teams end up in a cap hell that keeps them from signing players in the future that they wish they were able to. Flippantly using 'the cap will go up every year' as an excuse to do bad contracts isn't going to end well. 

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Apologies now for a rant post! I just can't believe some of the comments here with regards to Jones and him sticking around. Things I’ve heard like that we would be the same without him with Dillon being the leading back and some rookie!!!

Do you realise that the Packers had the best running back duo in the NFL last season in terms of yards rushing and receiving. And they were only marginally behind the Browns, by 11 yards, as the leading rushing combo in the NFL?!?! This for a team that gets accused of not running the ball that much!!!!

These two guys are dynamite, and some fans want to break that up?!?!?! This is the strength of the team, every other team would be drooling over having our two running backs. I just don’t get how spoiled our fans. I saw yesterday on Twitter someone had a poll going and in the blurb around the poll he called Jones ‘quality’, Jones actually responded and said ‘I think I’m more than just a quality running back’

On top of that look at the amount of cap that is eaten up Jones and Dillon, it is peanuts, last year 3.41%. Compare that to the Cowboys who had the third best running back combo and they ate up 8.78% of the cap. And then this year Zeke is a candidate to be cut with no more guaranteed coin and poor production and Pollard is a free agent. Hunt is a free agent in Cleveland, so him and Chubb will be no more. All these guys are either free agents or want a new deal: Jacobs in Las Vegas, Barkley in NYG and Williams in Detroit.

The great thing is with all these running back becoming free agents, the chance that the Packers can repeat this feat with these two guys is pretty high baring any injury etc.

So we have got the best production and at a silly low cap hit rate, which has only gone up slightly to 4.36%. this year and is still incredibly low.

This is a slam dunk great news for the Packers and I’m surprised it has been questioned at all!!!!

Rant over!

What is the point ?

The chance of us competing in 2023 with a first year starter in Love is low. Rodgers was 6-10 in his first year so this isn't a knock on Love.

In 2024, we have to pay Jones 17m. Or cut him for 12m.  Bringing him back is great if we think we have a realistic chance of a title.  Realistically with Rodgers with don't have much of a chance. With Love we have a negligible chance.

So.  We are weakening the 2024 team (when we hope to rebound) to maybe turn a 6-11 season into a 8-9 season. What's the point.

Its just bad use of resouces. Spending money we don't have (we have to borrow it) in a year that we aren't a contender. We have Dillon and can draft RBs.

This only makes sense if its another all-in year with Rodgers. And even then its a bit silly. We would be better off going with Love and cleaning up the roster and contracts.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

Dillon is on my short list of most overrated player on the roster.