Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They are late on getting rid of Rodgers .. could have got the motherlode for him last year.

He's not gone yet.....in fact, I've begun to think it more likely he returns.

But! I didnt think he wanted to come back last year......so what do I know? :)

Edited by Leader

14 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm not sure Gute and the boys think they can live without him.  If they bring him back it will be yet another mistake.  

Is it that? Because they drafted Love. I don’t think they have an issue with moving on… it’s moving on after Rodgers produced 2 MVP level seasons.

Like I know some would be for moving on after that… but I think the majority of fans and people would almost start a revolution over that move.

I think they saw the end of Rodgers and figure draft Love and in a year or two they would make the switch. But Rodgers blew that up with his play. Rodgers has heavily hinted towards this on Pat Macfee.

I think GB blinked in that game of chicken with Rodgers, given what he did and I’m sure Love wasn’t as polished as they might of hoped. I think Love is now and that’s why GB gives off the vibe of… if a trade is demanded that’s fine. Where like just a year ago… everything was Rodgers is our QB.

Edited by Green19

Seems like this process needs a first domino to happen.

1.  Rodgers makes a decision of whether he wants to retire or play in 2023.

2.  From there, I'm not sure if GB or Rodgers is next up in the process of reaching an endpoint of this situation.   

Is it up to GB to decide if they want Rodgers back for 2023.

Or

Is it up to Rodgers to decide if he wants to play in GB or elsewhere.

I lean more toward GB needing to decide if they are transitioning onto Love or rolling with Rodgers another year.

If it's GB call to determine step 2..... then Rodgers has step 3

A.  He is back in GB and whether his contract is redone, though I'm not sure what part or why Rodgers would do that

B.  GB is transitioning and Rodgers provides a list of teams he would be willing to play for in a trade scenario.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Is it that? Because they drafted Love. I don’t think they have an issue with moving on… it’s moving on after Rodgers produced 2 MVP level seasons.

Like I know some would be for moving on after that… but I think the majority of fans and people would almost start a revolution over that move.

I think they saw the end of Rodgers and figure draft Love and in a year or two they would make the switch. But Rodgers below that up with his play. Rodgers has heavily hinted towards this on Pat Macfee.

I think GB blinded in that game of chicken with Rodgers, given what he did and I’m sure Love wasn’t as polished as they might of hoped. I think Love is now and that’s why GB gives off the vibe of… if a trade is demanded that’s fine. Where like just a year ago… everything was Rodgers is our QB.

It's over though for #12 in GB.  The guys hasn't had a 300 yard passing game in his last 21 or 22 games.  That horrible performance against the 49ers should have been the end game.  The Packers botch his exit from GB and double down with a hideous contract.  Rodgers rewarded the Packers with his worst season as a starter. Move the hell on .. it's over. It's been over for more than a year. 

6 hours ago, squire12 said:

Seems like this process needs a first domino to happen.

1.  Rodgers makes a decision of whether he wants to retire or play in 2023.

2.  From there, I'm not sure if GB or Rodgers is next up in the process of reaching an endpoint of this situation.   

Is it up to GB to decide if they want Rodgers back for 2023.

I hope the sequence starts like this, instead.

1) The team decides if they want Rodgers back.

2) They communicate this (subtly but clearly) to Rodgers. For example, if they want him to move on they can emphasise how many of the 'old guard' (Lewis, Cobb, Crosby etc) will not be with the team, in 2023. If they want him back they try to keep Cobb and Lewis one more year.

3) Rodgers makes HIS decision with the knowledge of what the team wants (he doesn't necessarily 'help them out' here, if they want to move on).

4) Packers move on with Love as starter (if Rodgers gone), or they bring back Rodgers for one more go-around and possibly lose Love in the process, because  he's tired of waiting and pushes for release.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

So it begins.

I’m happy he’s staying. It’s tough to pay premiums at RB but he was severely underpaid for his first years here, is a model Packers and most importantly is a game changer for our offense. They only real concerns are holding up at his size and some of the fumbles that he has contributed to playoff loses. Still very good for the locker room and hope he keeps playing at a high level. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

So it begins.

At this point, it is what it is. Jones would have saved like $10M if he was cut, but saves about the same with a restructure. 

My main takeaway is that everyone who thinks the cap situation will be a band-aid that gets ripped off will be disappointed. It'll take 2-3 years of moves to work out all the restructures.

On the plus side, this probably means 2 more years of Jones, and he's at least a good player and a solid teammate. He might be overpaid, but there are worse things GMs do than overpaying good players.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

The Packers would win the same amount of games with dillon and a rookie as they would with Jones and Dillon and would save millions. 

King Of The Hill No GIF

The most GB could have gotten in cap relief was $16m with a post June 1st release.  Is he worth $5m?  I think so.  He's still a valuable player and one of the better RBs in the league.

• Like 2