Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

Justis Mosqueda -  The Packers are expected to have five 7th round picks in the 2023 draft.

Only one team has made more 7th round picks since Brian Gutekunst took over as GM.

Don't be surprised if they keep those picks.

• Aaron Nagler -   Gonna need the cheap labor.

Literally retarded.

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  Green Bay Packers - Current Richest Contracts:

1. Aaron Rodgers - $50.3M APY, 🥇QB at signing
2. David Bakhtiari - $23M APY, 🥇OT at signing
3. Jaire Alexander - $21M APY, 🥇CB at signing
4. Kenny Clark - $17.5M APY, 🥇NT at signing
5. Elgton Jenkins - $17M APY, 🥈IOL at signing

Rashan Gary is about to find a home in the top 5 this offseason.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Another factor that could be in play is most of the time we were drafting near the end of every round.  

I am not so sure that it can be just attributed to that though.  Something that the Packers do generally works with picks 1-50, then doesn't work between 60-100, then seems to work again after pick 115 or so.  

I am also very open to the idea that it is actually just too small of a sample size to really determine an actual pattern.  Not that it is completely random, it isn't.  But we know that no team has a 100% hit rate even on one single 7 round draft.  And it is just dumb luck that the Packers seem to miss in round 3 but hit in round 4 or 5.

We didn't pick Jace Sternberger in the third thinking that he was not good, just the same as Arizona didn't anticipate Josh Rosen being horrible.  Sometimes you just miss.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  Green Bay Packers - Current Richest Contracts:

1. Aaron Rodgers - $50.3M APY, 🥇QB at signing
2. David Bakhtiari - $23M APY, 🥇OT at signing
3. Jaire Alexander - $21M APY, 🥇CB at signing
4. Kenny Clark - $17.5M APY, 🥇NT at signing
5. Elgton Jenkins - $17M APY, 🥈IOL at signing

Rashan Gary is about to find a home in the top 5 this offseason.

And that’s the problem. 3 of these top 5 have missed significant time in the last few seasons.

And the other 2 have had long stretches of poor play given their contract status.

you are banking on these guys. Gb has been able too.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not so sure that it can be just attributed to that though.  Something that the Packers do generally works with picks 1-50, then doesn't work between 60-100, then seems to work again after pick 115 or so.  

I am also very open to the idea that it is actually just too small of a sample size to really determine an actual pattern.  Not that it is completely random, it isn't.  But we know that no team has a 100% hit rate even on one single 7 round draft.  And it is just dumb luck that the Packers seem to miss in round 3 but hit in round 4 or 5.

We didn't pick Jace Sternberger in the third thinking that he was not good, just the same as Arizona didn't anticipate Josh Rosen being horrible.  Sometimes you just miss.

That’s why I like my working theory that they select positions they aren’t great at scouting.

Just going off my memory but it’s been off ball LBs, tiny slot WR, TE, etc.

I wouldn’t say any of these are strengths of the scouting department or honestly the coaching staff.

Youd think WR was fine until you realize that Amari was very different from their typical scout.

I think value doesn’t align and they have positions they are poor at scouting as higher value. Again it’s why I think many believe Sean has the best chance of breaking the poor 3rd round trend, because he is an Oline and they typically hit on those guys than not.

33 minutes ago, Green19 said:

That’s why I like my working theory that they select positions they aren’t great at scouting.

I wouldn’t say any of these are strengths of the scouting department or honestly the coaching staff.

Youd think WR was fine until you realize that Amari was very different from their typical scout.

I think value doesn’t align and they have positions they are poor at scouting as higher value. Again it’s why I think many believe Sean has the best chance of breaking the poor 3rd round trend, because he is an Oline and they typically hit on those guys than not.

Yeah the was a discussion about a month back (you may have been involved) where we noted how in Rd 3, Gute seems to go away from his normal draft strategy. Lower RAS scores in Rd 3, every player taken plays a non-premium position, size requirements seem to be less important.

Just odd and it makes sense that we haven't seen the same success in that round.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Yeah the was a discussion about a month back (you may have been involved) where we noted how in Rd 3, Gute seems to go away from his normal draft strategy. Lower RAS scores in Rd 3, every player taken plays a non-premium position, size requirements seem to be less important.

Just odd and it makes sense that we haven't seen the same success in that round.

Yes, data matters. How you weight the data matters. But I wonder, are they collecting all the critical data. There are just too many misses by all the teams. Then again, maybe some things just aren't measurable. 

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Talking about Amari....I know I've bagged plenty on him.  

And we know he couldn't return punts or kicks.

But I just wonder what would have happened had we given him opportunity at WR.  And a QB that might actually throw him the ball.

Maybe he wouldn't look all that useless.  Maybe.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

But I just wonder what would have happened had we given him opportunity at WR.  And a QB that might actually throw him the ball.

100%… the issue is you have an established QB who’s mentality is everyone has to meet him where he is at. Not that he adjusts to meet them.

Which no judgement on that… on a lot of levels if I was in Rodgers shoes I would want young guys get to my speed. Not me slowing down for them. So not crushing the guy for the mindset.

The only issue is with a shift from drafting a WR almost every year in the second to not… and everyone being too expensive… the strategy needed to change. Because GB banked on rookies, so even though you’re a 4 time league MVP…. He needed those guys to get to where he wants to go.

Although I don’t believe Rodgers is really interested in going all in for a SB. Like he is, but he isn’t Tom Brady all in. Going to a high school field with these guys. He more like here is the plan… if it works great. If not I’m not going to try and force things… I’m comfortable with what I did in the nfl.

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No… he just sucks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think they are taking a chance at trying to find a Randall Cobb clone, both Amari and Ty Montgomery were similar to Cobb, but heavier.  Neither were as good as Cobb either.  They all did pretty similar in their predraft workouts too.  Still for the vast majority, Packers WRs are 6'1+ and 200+ lbs.

We have also seen that the MLF offense has a spot for a small shifty WR/RB.  We drafted Amari, and signed Tavon Austin and Tyler Ervin.  None of these guys were great.  And an aged Cobb probably isn't an ideal candidate for this motion role.  Aaron Jones does do a little of this.  But last season, Lazard and Watson seemed to do it a lot as well, neither fits the small, quick profile though.