Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 3/4/2023 at 7:12 PM, CWood21 said:

The notion that Gute wasn't involved in that contract extension is crazy.

It's not unheard of that he didn't agree though? There are powers in GB that go above Gute, he may have been on board, he may have been looking to the future too. None of us know at all, it's fun to speculate. But he did draft Love not to merely push AR but he thought AR had already fallen off he wasn't likely prepared for AR's response in play ove the last 3 years as a result. 

So my point is not to argue but it's convievable that Gute was in on it sure, but maybe not happy with it. Ball and Murphy and the board may have had other thoughts. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This sounds a lot like what was being said about Rodgers during the Favre drama.

it was very much said that AR did little wrong while waiting for Favre. And he had a much bigger circus as BF was in and out, then out and then tried to come back what 1 day prior to TC. TT was the man though and handled it so well, I myself would have let him go to the queens though and fleeced the hell out of them at the time it would have been great. Send them BF and take as much as we could have gotten from them. That was the only thing that i did not like that TT did with BF. I do get this can't trade within the division or conference but it's over blown, who cares. Do what's right for your team and if you can fleece a division rival for futures so they can have today, do it. 

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler -   Rodgers clearly waiting until after the tent sale at Lambeau tomorrow before green-lighting a trade. Don't want to see your jersey on clearance...

:)

Just won the internet on that one. That is hilarious. 

Andy Herman -   This is why I’ve been preaching cautiousness with what GB will get in return. The benefit for GB isn’t primarily the pick, it’s the salary cap savings, the ability to move cleanly to Jordan, AND anything they get in return. The contract is brutal & it may be 1 year only. 📉

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   This is why I’ve been preaching cautiousness with what GB will get in return. The benefit for GB isn’t primarily the pick, it’s the salary cap savings, the ability to move cleanly to Jordan, AND anything they get in return. The contract is brutal & it may be 1 year only. 📉

I think just their first is fine. I could see just getting their second as well.

This all really depends on 2 factors… are there multiple teams in the race for Rodgers or is it literally just the jets.

And how much money is Green Bay on the hook for. Don’t know if in the NFL they can do NHL style deals where GB retains a percentage etc. if it’s literally only about who physically pays Rodgers salary and not cap space…. than it depends on what GB as a business cares about, getting better draft capital or holding on to cash.

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I think just their first is fine. I could see just getting their second as well.

This all really depends on 2 factors… are there multiple teams in the race for Rodgers or is it literally just the jets.

And how much money is Green Bay on the hook for. Don’t know if in the NFL they can do NHL style deals where GB retains a percentage etc. if it’s literally only about who physically pays Rodgers salary and not cap space…. than it depends on what GB as a business cares about, getting better draft capital or holding on to cash.

I said some time back....or when it appeared more likely that this might actually go down.....GB shouldnt let the absence of a return "haul" prevent them from pulling the trigger. Dont give him away.....but I just think it's time.

15 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I don't think teams can trade cash in the NFL, unlike the NBA.

once the option bonus is exercised, it would go as dead cap for GB, and I don't think GB can pay part of the option bonus without redoing the contract.  

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

I don't think teams can trade cash in the NFL, unlike the NBA.

once the option bonus is exercised, it would go as dead cap for GB, and I don't think GB can pay part of the option bonus without redoing the contract.  

Yeah I don’t know all the details of the cap and trades etc. from the few things I read, it sounds like if all parties work together… they can put the financial burden on either GB or the Jets… and if that’s the case, like an NHL, if GB is willing to have the bigger cap/money hit on their side… that would mean the Jets have to play out a better pick(s).

So if that’s the case than again… it comes down to what does GB want more, cap space or draft picks.

Historically I would say draft picks, so I can see them eating the contract here.

9 hours ago, Green19 said:

Even IF you think you're getting near-prime Rodgers, you're only getting him for 1 or 2 yrs. I'd say 2nd and next year's 4th, maybe moving up to a 2nd if he plays another year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leader said:

This speaks directly to how bad Gute and thee Packers leadership has messed up this entire situation.

Turning a back o back league MVP into a non-asset this quickly is near impossible to do, but the Packers managed it.

• Like 1