Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Used cap doesn't so it's relevant.

There is no rule that they would have had to spend the $7m in 2023 savings in 2023 if they *hadn’t* done this deal. It’s not like GM’s are 15-yr-olds with money burning a hole in their pocket. So it’s irrelevant.

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I see zero reason to add a vet WR.

Why? What's the point?

There seems to be a strange duality for the 2023 season. At times you can be convinced that they believe we are young and have talent that will surprise. At other times they behave as if it is already a lost season and we are angling for picks in the 2024 draft.

In either case, when you look at our roster our holes are mostly already plugged with young prospects. In a season where success seems to be viewed as a pleasant possibility rather than a hard expectation there is no reason to import veterans to block the youngsters' growth.

There is, as you say, zero reason to add veterans to this team this year.

If we're bad, we're probably bad because we're learning.

If we're good, let's let it be because of the kids.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

There seems to be a strange duality for the 2023 season. At times you can be convinced that they believe we are young and have talent that will surprise. At other times they behave as if it is already a lost season and we are angling for picks in the 2024 draft.

In either case, when you look at our roster our holes are mostly already plugged with young prospects. In a season where success seems to be viewed as a pleasant possibility rather than a hard expectation there is no reason to import veterans to block the youngsters' growth.

There is, as you say, zero reason to add veterans to this team this year.

If we're bad, we're probably bad because we're learning.

If we're good, let's let it be because of the kids.

I also see zero reason to us cap space on a vet. I don't think any vets available move the needle whatsoever for Love's development, either. That would be the only reason I can think of to add one. But there's no value there anymore. 100% we should let the youngins grow together just like our staff said.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I also see zero reason to us cap space on a vet. I don't think any vets available move the needle whatsoever for Love's development, either. That would be the only reason I can think of to add one. But there's no value there anymore. 100% we should let the youngins grow together just like our staff said.

I think it can be important for his development at this point. Not only Love's, but the development of the young WRs. Having a vet in the locker room can help the young players develop the skills they need to prepare. Think of it like the team captains on your high school sports teams - they teach the freshmen things the coaching staff cannot.

Our depth is promising but raw. I'm really comfortable with Watson, Doubs and Reed as a top three, but what happens if one of them gets hurt?

We're kinda swimming in cap space now if OTC is accurate (I'm worried it's not, it seems a little rosy and I haven't analyzed their post-Rodgers trade data yet) and signees no longer count against comp picks. MLF himself suggested a vet WR would be on his wishlist.

All that said, if we don't add one and just roll with what we got I'm kinda ok with it.

• Like 1

I'm probably posting this in front of nerds who do this three times a day, but it is always an interesting exercise to fill our depth charts with 25 players on offense and 25 players on defense.

In doing so, you see who gets pushed off the team for just one of those player/coach veterans.