Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

All this "rebuilding" and lowered expectations talk from fans is pure emotional hedging. Objectively, this is likely to be a more successful season than 2022. Yet we're supposed to buy this line of thought THIS year is a rebuild and last year was super bowl or bust?

Nah. 

I am thinking you and I have differing views on what it means to be objective regarding the 2023 season. 

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Where did I say those were my expectations? All I've said is I do not expect to win a Super Bowl this year, and that making the playoffs would be a great aiming point.

Is that what your expectations for 2022 were as well?

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're using hindsight to it's fullest (50/50) extent right here.

Not at all. Not even close. Nope. Nope. Nope. I thought this erroneous line of thinking might creep in.

No hindsight whatsoever. That's the entire point. 

You're trying to define your "realistic" take as an actual reflection of reality. The results last year are a prime example of how wrong a random fan's "realism" is. And why this whole discussion of "rebuilding" and differing expectations is pure malarkey. 

And it's why hundreds of people in the building laugh at the idea of "rebuilding" and lowered expectations for 2023. It's all hogwash because it's based primarily on emotional hedging with some "gut" feeling baked in.

Anyone who thinks lowered expectations in 2023 relative to 2022 results is "objective" is intellectually dishonest with themselves (unless they've personally crunched a LOT of numbers since FA and draft occurred). Otherwise it's all just a bunch of nonsense.

Edited by incognito_man

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Not at all. Not even close. Nope. Nope. Nope. I thought this erroneous line of thinking might creep in.

No hindsight whatsoever. That's the entire point. 

You're trying to define your "realistic" take as an actual reflection of reality. The results last year are a prime example of now wrong a random fan's "realism" is. And why this whole discussion of "rebuilding" and differing expectations is pure malarkey. 

And it's why hundreds of people in the building laugh at the idea of "rebuilding" and lowered expectations for 2023. It's all hogwash because it's based primarily on emotional hedging with some "gut" feeling baked in.

Anyone who thinks lowered expectations in 2023 relative to 2022 results is "objective" is intellectually dishonest with themselves (unless they've personally crunched a LOT of numbers since FA and draft occurred). Otherwise it's all just a bunch of nonsense.

Lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am thinking you and I have differing views on what it means to be objective regarding the 2023 season. 

I've no doubt about that. Lot of people subconsciously hedge emotionally and trick themselves into thinking it's objectivity instead. 

Edited by incognito_man

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm too lazy to think of a perspective other than my own so I'll dismiss any other point as that person thinking they're right. But I won't have the intellectual honesty to consider I'm actually the guilty party of exactly the accusations I'm levying on someone else.

FIFY

Both things can be true. We can acknowledge there is a shedding of a massive contract and HOF player who has been a fixture for almost two decades meaning we are rebuilding. Also, there is promise with our new guy under center, hopefully a solid line and young skill group and a talented defense that did not live up to expectations last year but could still step up. If you want to rationally look at all of the reasons why we might not be great this year that’s your right but fanatics can also enjoy this part of the offseason imagining a young team that could catch fire sooner rather than later and be a real contender starting with the division. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Where did I say those were my expectations? All I've said is I do not expect to win a Super Bowl this year, and that making the playoffs would be a great aiming point.

Let's go 0-17 and get a good QB?  Not in the cards with how talented this team is barring a love season ender injury.

Let's try to win then really tank once out of playoff contention - 4-5 wins?  Probably not unless something really goes wrong at QB and Etling starts a lot of games.

Try to compete but end up not being that good - 6-8 wins?  I think this has a pretty decent probability.  Will be about development and improvement more than wins.

Compete and be in the playoff hunt and either scrape in or come up just short? The other most likely scenario - 8-9 wins.  Good learning experience for the team.

Win the North or be in contention for it - 10+ wins.  I don't think this is that likely unless we have a top Defense.  Still possible.

Winning the SB is close to impossible, winning the #1 or #2 seed in the NFC is also next to impossible.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've no doubt about that. Lot of people subconsciously hedge emotionally and trick themselves into thinking it's objectivity instead. 

In a word where GB wins between 7 and 9 games in 2023, does that make my viewpoint any more objective?  You tend to present things as absolute when the nature of the subject is by nature not so black and white.  It's weird to me that anyone viewing this team as a .500 team is "emotionally hedging" in your mind.  It seems obvious to me that this team isn't ready for the deep playoff run you seem to be looking for.  I think it would be equally obvious to you if the roster being reviewed was any other franchise.

• Like 3

Just now, Refugee said:

Both things can be true. We can acknowledge there is a shedding of a massive contract and HOF player who has been a fixture for almost two decades meaning we are rebuilding. Also, there is promise with our new guy under center, hopefully a solid line and young skill group and a talented defense that did not live up to expectations last year but could still step up. If you want to rationally look at all of the reasons why we might not be great this year that’s your right but fanatics can also enjoy this part of the offseason imagining a young team that could catch fire sooner rather than later and be a real contender starting with the division. 

This is not the issue though. The issue is there some fans choose to believe we're actually incapable of competing for a SB in 2023 and label the season as such. It's not an issue of probability, it's just outright dismissal of any chance (and calling it a 'rebuilding' year or other phrase to communicate the same idea).

OBJECTIVELY, we're just as likely to compete in 2023 as we ACTUALLY did in 2022, a year no one would describe as "rebuilding". Thus, the term has almost no meaning whatsoever. At least when applied to this team.