Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

13 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I think I’d like to see Joe Barry on an episode of “Between the Ferns”. Let Zach Galifianakis ask the questions we would if we could.

Q: Is it the word “defense” or the word “coordinator” that you’re having trouble understanding?

Also, since the talk swerved to the draft for a bit, (Cover your ears That Jerk Dave) The Kansas City Chiefs 2022 draft class was nuts. Their first year players played in 161 games on the way to the championship. That seems to push the credible upper limit for a Super Bowl winning team.

Careful not to fall for that trap.  The Chiefs also had the best QB in the league, and possibly the best TE of all time.  Without digging into the roster too deep, a guy like Isiah Pachecko got his opportunity in part because they took Clyde Edwards-Helaire with a first round pick a couple of seasons ago, and he stinks.  I also believe that Skyy Moore played in all 17 games, but I don't believe it was really anything to write home about.  

What is really impressive about the Chiefs is how well they have rebuilt the offensive line from being a sieve to one of the better units in the game, over just a few seasons.  

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We have 11 draft picks and actual cap space next year, the roster is going to turnover again in 2024. Then the rebuild is over.

No, the rebuild (really a reload) is over now that we've built a playoff-caliber roster. 

If it blows up in our faces then we'll rebuild again next year, perhaps with a longer rebuild in mind. But this rebuild started (with hindsight as our guide) when Devante was traded and ended when we drafted Grant DuBose.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Obviously saying GB has no chance is dumb.  I don't see any problem with viewing the 2023 roster as inferior to the 2022 roster heading into the respective seasons.

I think viewing the 2023 roster as inferior is a very pessimistic take that I don't see any objective support for. Outside of QB heading into the season.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I think viewing the 2023 roster as inferior is a very pessimistic take that I don't see any objective support for. Outside of QB heading into the season.

Yeah...well, that's a fairly hefty caveat you've got there.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Then that QB missed expectations and we missed the playoffs.

Love can outproduce 2022 Rodgers. Hell, if he doesn't then he either got hurt or he's a bust.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's not, really. It bolsters my point about how fans view a team heading into a season inaccurately. If 95% of fans think our odds were better heading into 2022 than 2023 and 2023 turns out a better team, that will be illuminating to the vast chasm between what fans think is important to win and what is actually important to win.

I understand I'm in the rare minority that thinks our 2023 team is going to be noticeably better than our 2022 team. I think our QB play will actually improve and I think our roster outside of QB is wildly underrated by our fanbase generally. After 30 years of mentally relying on a top-paid QB, GB fans understandably overestimate the QBs importance. This is a really really talented roster with a lot of young, ascending talent. Almost everyone is sleeping on this team and I'm here for it 

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I can get 7.5 on every sports book, so I'll pass :)

Would be a great bet for him, he then could bet an equal amount on the over at 7.5 with only the juice at risk. If the number lands on 8 or 9 he collects on both bets. 50.00 dollars at risk to make 2K, if only we could find sucks like that every day.  

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Would be a great bet for him, he then could bet an equal amount on the over at 7.5 with only the juice at risk. If the number lands on 8 or 9 he collects on both bets. 50.00 dollars at risk to make 2K, if only we could find sucks like that every day.  

Yes, betting arbitrage is the holy grail. But it's not so easy anymore ha

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Are you objectively expecting 10 wins from this team or not?  Pick a side.

He can feel like they will win 10 or more without taking your bet, a person would need to be a real fool to bet an over at 9.5 when he gets 7.5 anywhere right now. 

2 minutes ago, R T said:
12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Are you objectively expecting 10 wins from this team or not?  Pick a side.

He can feel like they will win 10 or more without taking your bet, a person would need to be a real fool to bet an over at 9.5 when he gets 7.5 anywhere right now

Oh I see what the question is now.

Yes I think a 2 game improvement is very objective given the changes this off-season. Third place vs first place schedule. Our top 2 OL playing. A QB joining the offense in the off-season. Significantly improved pass catching rooms. A team defense improvement over the 2nd half of the season. Top 5-10 draft capital in the league added to roster. Shedding of below average, aging veterans.

There are a lot of objective reasons to believe a 2 game improvement is reasonable. On top of that, I have subjective reasons, too. The biggest is that I think getting out from under Aaron Rodgers is going to do wonders for the mentality of this team. There's just going to be a totally different energy this year with the youth movement and I think that will benefit the team. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

I sure don't see the 2023 roster as favorably as I did the 2022 roster at this point.

I admit my perception was wildly imperfect last year.  I thought the defense might be fantastic, one of the top handful in the league.  Gary might be a DPOY type guy ready to break out with big-time pressure.  That Stokes and Jaire might be an elite pair of coverage corners.  That Wyatt might be good enough to get snaps.  And I thought the OL might be really good by October, with Bakhti and Jenkins back as full-capacity studs on the corners, and healthy Myers emerging as a smart, power guy in the middle.  My perception was way wrong then. 

My perception may be way wrong now, too.  

I do agree with this...

Last year I thought we had a 14 win team. I really thought the defense would carry us and we had what looked like a soft schedule. Rodgers was the reigning MVP two years running.

This year I see an 11 win team. We'll be sparring with the Lions for the division title.

Either way I see this as a much stronger team than last year.