Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

There is a short video within this article and 9 looks so smooth catching passes. Hopefully the days of him fighting the ball are over. I know it's only shorts but he looks good.

Thursday Cheese Curds: Projecting roles for Packers’ receivers is a tall task (msn.com)

Those clips are better than the ones showing his drops and bobbles, that's for sure.

Not that I could take away much from that video, but the hands did look strong and he was plucking the ball.  Wasn't letting it get into him.

And...on a few routes, he had really good release timing with Doubs next to him.  Looked very smooth for second year players.

Thanks for posting!

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

5 time all-pro? Absolutely.

Wilson, Stafford and Ryan in the hall is laughable. Won’t be as bad when Eli gets in, but that’s bad 

I agree Eli doesn't belong in the HOF but is there another QB who won two Super Bowls not in the HOF? 

Check out Bob Griese's stats: Bob Griese Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Eli's stats: Eli Manning Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Not great but if Griese is HOF worthy then Eli is. Neither belong, I agree.

I don't see Wilson, Stafford or Ryan as HOF worthy QB's. If I were guessing, Wilson gets in though. Stafford is more deserving than any of them but doesn't quite get there IMO. 

I don't think Stafford should even be considered for more time than it takes to say, "no."  He played like a top 5 QB one time in his career, and that was 2011.  And before anyone can say Detroit Lions, he had Calvin ******* Johnson as his primary target for years, and Johnson still quit early because of the bad team, which Stafford was part of.  

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't think Stafford should even be considered for more time than it takes to say, "no."  He played like a top 5 QB one time in his career, and that was 2011.  And before anyone can say Detroit Lions, he had Calvin ******* Johnson as his primary target for years, and Johnson still quit early because of the bad team, which Stafford was part of.  

The bad teams were not the fault of Johnson or Stafford. Barry Sanders quit early because of how dysfunctional the organization had been for decades. Should he not be considered? If Stafford isn't considered than does Calvin Johnson get in? 

Stafford's numbers are pretty ridiculous. Especially compared to Eli's. Again, I don't think Stafford gets in but he's right on the bubble for me. 

Edited by Old Guy

51 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The bad teams were not the fault of Johnson or Stafford. Barry Sanders quit early because of how dysfunctional the organization had been for decades. Should he not be considered? If Stafford isn't considered than does Calvin Johnson get in? 

Stafford's numbers are pretty ridiculous. Especially compared to Eli's. Again, I don't think Stafford gets in but he's right on the bubble for me. 

All numbers have gone up.  Was Stafford ever the best QB in the league?  Was he ever even top 5 besides in 2011? The sad part is, he will get in.  And he won't deserve it.  Barry Sanders was the best back in the league, or second to Emmitt Smith, for the majority of his career.  And Calvin Johnson was also always among the top WRs.  Stat Padford was not.

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

All numbers have gone up.  Was Stafford ever the best QB in the league?  Was he ever even top 5 besides in 2011? The sad part is, he will get in.  And he won't deserve it.  Barry Sanders was the best back in the league, or second to Emmitt Smith, for the majority of his career.  And Calvin Johnson was also always among the top WRs.  Stat Padford was not.

Same questions to you regarding Eli Manning?

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Same questions to you regarding Eli Manning?

Again, never even a top 5 QB in his own time.  He did have an impressive iron-man streak, and was good enough to not screw up two seasons with unbelievable defensive line performances.  He is Brad Johnson with two rings.

Stafford is Mark Brunell with a ring.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I agree Eli doesn't belong in the HOF but is there another QB who won two Super Bowls not in the HOF? 

Check out Bob Griese's stats: Bob Griese Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Eli's stats: Eli Manning Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Not great but if Griese is HOF worthy then Eli is. Neither belong, I agree.

I don't see Wilson, Stafford or Ryan as HOF worthy QB's. If I were guessing, Wilson gets in though. Stafford is more deserving than any of them but doesn't quite get there IMO. 

Was Bob Greise considered a top QB for his time?

I think I’m a lot tougher with the HOF than the general public. I think it should be reserved for elite players. I value elite seasons more than post season success and longevity . 

I just got in this conversation the other day. Guy like Mike Evans; great bulk stats and longevity . How many years was he an elite guy though? 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Was Bob Greise considered a top QB for his time?

I think I’m a lot tougher with the HOF than the general public. I think it should be reserved for elite players. I value elite seasons more than post season success and longevity . 

I just got in this conversation the other day. Guy like Mike Evans; great bulk stats and longevity . How many years was he an elite guy though? 

Zero.