Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 minutes ago, spilltray said:

No I don't really think so. He was a nice piece to a good OL. As soon as he went to Chicago it was clear he wasn't that guy. He got credit for being a good player on a great OL unit. 

He had bad knees by the time he went to Chicago. That's why the Packers wouldn't extend his contract. 

57 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Sitton and Lang immediately come to mind. 

I think the point here is that you're more willing to replace IOLs like Sitton, Lang, Linsley. Even a RT like Bulaga.

Pro Bowl LTs are more valuable and are harder to replace. I do get your point about the wear and tear on OL, and I'm not dismissing it. But Bakh had fairly minimal injury history, and we were also entering a final superbowl window with Rodgers. If there was ever time to gamble on 3rd contract, I'd argue this was good one. 

Unfortunately for us he tore that knee 6 weeks after signing the contract, and it probably cost us playoff wins in 2020 and 2021. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

I think the point here is that you're more willing to replace IOLs like Sitton, Lang, Linsley. Even a RT like Bulaga.

Pro Bowl LTs are more valuable and are harder to replace. I do get your point about the wear and tear on OL, and I'm not dismissing it. But Bakh had fairly minimal injury history, and we were also entering a final superbowl window with Rodgers. If there was ever time to gamble on 3rd contract, I'd argue this was good one. 

Unfortunately for us he tore that knee 6 weeks after signing the contract, and it probably cost us playoff wins in 2020 and 2021. 

Bulaga had a much more extensive injury history vs DB.  

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Bahktiari had a very minimal injury history prior to the ACL tear.  missed 2 games in 2015 and 4 games in 2017

the injury certainly is unfortunate and the long-term challenges in returning has been rough.  

Yeah, I get into it with my friend who wanted to move on because”No third contracts, yada yada.” Pretty much every other GM makes that move unless in a complete tear down year. If you had a crystal ball that told you his knee would blowup into a multiple season injury during practice you don’t make that deal.

Nothing indicated that could happen except maybe him being older, but it was impossible to know that while we were in our window to compete and keep our HOF QB happy. Terrible move in hindsight but one that wasn’t hard to understand when the deal was made. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Sitton wasn't an elite guard? I would beg to differ. 

Elite tackles are a different animal. You don't let those guys out of the building. I referenced Rodgers in an earlier post as the reason why.

Tackles Clifton and Tauscher were retained and got rings. Guards Wahle and Rivera got shipped out.

As Raymond said, elite tackles are valuable in this league.  Jason Peters is 41 and still getting NFL checks. Name one guard right now that's on an NFL roster in his forties or even late thirties.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

No I don't really think so. He was a nice piece to a good OL. As soon as he went to Chicago it was clear he wasn't that guy. He got credit for being a good player on a great OL unit. 

He was NO LONGER THAT GUY! He was out of the league within two years. The Packers knew it. 

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

I'm not missing a thing. The point is giving an offensive lineman who is 29-30 years old a massive contract is very risky business. It will backfire much more often than not. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He was NO LONGER THAT GUY! He was out of the league within two years. The Packers knew it. 

Ok? I don't see your point. Sitton has some physical concerns already yes, but he also wasn't on the level of a top 3 LT who had no significant injury history. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

I'm all for no 3rd contract for we, RB, db, ect, but elite OL without injury concerns are a place it can make sense and be a smart move.

11 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Ok? I don't see your point. Sitton has some physical concerns already yes, but he also wasn't on the level of a top 3 LT who had no significant injury history. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

I'm all for no 3rd contract for we, RB, db, ect, but elite OL without injury concerns are a place it can make sense and be a smart move.

The odds are against this. 

32 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

sitton was on the injury report in 2015 with a back injury from week 9 through the end of season.  couple times in 2013 with a back injury.   that is an injury that moves you off a player.