Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

24 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I can get behind Campbell.  We signed him after a career year and he has reverted to form.  But to be fair to Gute, much like not trading the two time defending MVP, you can look real dumb real quick by letting an all-pro just walk.

I think Douglas was actually a good move.  Not only did we get a surprise 3rd in return, but we got 24 games and 19 starts in 2022 and 23.  He also filled in for both Stokes and Jaire while they were hurt, and played mostly good football.  

Regarding Douglas....the contract he signed was also pretty "meh" in terms of decent CB money.  Not only did we get the player for free, we also got him on a pretty team friendly deal.  A deal that allowed us to move on from him for a decent pick.  So yah, he was an excellent find all around.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Goes to my point of the FO timeline. If they're looking at 2025 as the first serious year at contending, getting Jaire's contract off the books with a FRP and some change would be an attractive option

I did a little digging. If you're looking for a trade candidate this offseason, your best options is Preston Smith. He would save the Packers $3M if traded and is still under contract for a few years. Preston is having one of his best seasons and would only cost an acquiring team $6M in 2024. That's $7M below his AAV of $13M, so in essence you'd be paying half price for his services. I could see that being worth a mid round pick.

But that's basically a salary dump for the Packers, who are still on the tight side of the salary cap.

10 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I did a little digging. If you're looking for a trade candidate this offseason, your best options is Preston Smith. He would save the Packers $3M if traded and is still under contract for a few years. Preston is having one of his best seasons and would only cost an acquiring team $6M in 2024. That's $7M below his AAV of $13M, so in essence you'd be paying half price for his services. I could see that being worth a mid round pick.

But that's basically a salary dump for the Packers, who are still on the tight side of the salary cap.

As long as he doesnt lose a step he will be one of our top guys in coverage

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Drake is older, but he's still got some wheels.  I'm figuring this isn't a good sign for Aaron Jones returning any time soon.

Wouldn't say that. I think it more of them seeing how incredibly slow our backs looked against the Chiefs and it's a good idea to replace Robinson with someone who actually has some kind of wheels, even with Jones back.