Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Rasheed Walker is playing excellent football for being a backup LT. .....

There is "for-a-backup" good, and there is "3rd-in-league-over-a-5-week-period" good.  I think he's just been plain good... in pass blocking?  

Love has gotten some really good pockets.  Not forever, of course:  Walker is sometimes backing up into the pocket and getting walked back into the pocket, so the seconds are finite.  But still, I think he's been pretty good, and Love has had some time to see what's happening.  

I think some of the support blockers have also done quite well in pass protection.  Dillon is really good, and I think Kraft is already pretty good even as a rookie.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

There is "for-a-backup" good, and there is "3rd-in-league-over-a-5-week-period" good.  I think he's just been plain good... in pass blocking?  

Love has gotten some really good pockets.  Not forever, of course:  Walker is sometimes backing up into the pocket and getting walked back into the pocket, so the seconds are finite.  But still, I think he's been pretty good, and Love has had some time to see what's happening.  

I think some of the support blockers have also done quite well in pass protection.  Dillon is really good, and I think Kraft is already pretty good even as a rookie.  

Krafts kick and slide is ******* hilarious. Bless his heart stuff there. But he had a few blocks that get me pretty excited for a Musgrave Kraft set down the road.

I would say Walker is battling out there. He's the guy getting the help, I would cool the top tier pass blocking stuff. He's no Tom. Major major PFF fault is there's no built in difficulty of assignment. Just did his perceived assignment get accomplished? Played a few teams here that don't go very deep at Edge. I know we're all watching JTs vids on Love. Just watch those cutups from the big plays. Walker is BATTLING the whole way through. Does his job "get done" sure but he's still putting stress on Love on so many of those plays. Few real solid hands to the face calls missed, most notably back to back on the doubs 4th and 1 play and then the Watson TD right after. Nijman would still be my guy if I was playing madden here.

Edited by HighCalebR

42 minutes ago, Chili said:

In addition to bringing Drake on the PS the Packers have also claimed CB David Long (3rd round pick) off waivers.

This and Kyu Kelly (5th) waiver claims as well as grabbing Rochell (4th) off Carolina's PS all in just over a month after trading Douglas.

Gute is really working that CB room.

Long and Rochell were both teammates on the Rams.

Churning the bottom of the roster, be it 53 man or expanded to PS.  That is 1 thing that really stood out when Wolf/ Holmgren took over in eraly 90's, those last 2-3 spots on the roster were never safe from being turned over looking for a doamond in the rough.

I really like that mentality.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pgwingman said:

This is my favorite mental trap of all. The idea that some team is going to offer us a Jalen Ramsey package for a stud player who's injured too much for our liking. He'd be a $27M dead cap hit for us, how many first round picks is that worth?

ALL THE TIME.

"This player is crap/injured/aging....we should trade him for Mahomes and 2 firsts!"

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chili said:

In addition to bringing Drake on the PS the Packers have also claimed CB David Long (3rd round pick) off waivers.

This and Kyu Kelly (5th) waiver claims as well as grabbing Rochell (4th) off Carolina's PS all in just over a month after trading Douglas.

Gute is really working that CB room.

Long and Rochell were both teammates on the Rams.

Did either of the DB's play for the Rams when Barrie was there:). May be why these kiddos may be decent zone guys and know the system already.

17 hours ago, squire12 said:

Churning the bottom of the roster, be it 53 man or expanded to PS.  That is 1 thing that really stood out when Wolf/ Holmgren took over in eraly 90's, those last 2-3 spots on the roster were never safe from being turned over looking for a doamond in the rough.

I really like that mentality.

Never know when you end up with a Douglas type who has a good year, or can put it together in a place that is better suited for him too. So smart to always be looking to improve from top to bottom. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I don't get the logic behind taking a WR in the second round. This team probably only carries 6 into a season, with Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, all being locks and Toure/Heath being the last two. Doesn't make any sense to use a 2nd round pick on your WR5/6 or to bump Wicks down into that role.

29 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I don't get the logic behind taking a WR in the second round. This team probably only carries 6 into a season, with Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, all being locks and Toure/Heath being the last two. Doesn't make any sense to use a 2nd round pick on your WR5/6 or to bump Wicks down into that role.

Watson being injured all the time gives me some pause, but in general I think we have our wide receiver group in order.  I probably would pass up WR early in the draft at this point and focus on some other spots.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Watson being injured all the time gives me some pause, but in general I think we have our wide receiver group in order.  I probably would pass up WR early in the draft at this point and focus on some other spots.  

Assuming we will draft waaaayyyy after MJH is gone, I'm not taking a WR prior to the 5'th round, if at all.

I feel like Dubose is on our practice squad and he looked very good when he was actually able to play in the summer.

That WR room is set.

Gimme OL, DL, S, RB, CB.  No particular order, except for prioritizing OL and possibly then DL.  But we have weaponz, let's fortify the lines!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

But what if the BPA when our pick is up in the second round  is a WR?   I hope Gute takes him.  GMs who reach for need are not doing their franchises any favors in the end.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Walking away from the draft with DeJean, Kris Jenkins and Beebe would be home run draft. I'm starting to really like the idea of Kris Jenkins with one of our 2nds. He has the potential to be an elite run stopping IDL. Pairing him with Clark, Wyatt and Brooks has potential to make our DL one of the top in the league.

Edited by Mdpackfan22