Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The refs should give every benefit of doubt, every leniency they have in there body when it comes to that rule. It's a nonsensical rule and you should never have the ability to lose a possession for no reason. being hardline on this would be very dumb.

Doesn't matter if the rule is dumb or not. It's the rule and EVERY captain on NFL teams knows this. The officials did not have to give the Packers a break, they chose to. 

They could have easily said, "the Packers won the toss and elected to play defense. The Panters will have the choice to start the second half!" By the rules, this is what should have happened. It's not a gray area either. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Again....I highly doubt JA is the first football player to misspeak like this. I'd be really, really surprised if thats the case..and yes, the Refs helped him out.....which is a good thing to do....especially since they knew how MLF wanted it handled beforehand.

I dont think JA was suspended for misspeaking so much it was for his including himself in the entire affair when MLF didnt designate him - the reasons for which can only be surmised by you and I.

This is the tip of the iceberg as to why JA was suspended. There was clearly way more to it than that. There is ZERO chance the NFL PA wouldn't win in arbitration if that was the only thing going on here. 

Doesn't negate the fact the officials bailed him out. I'd like to know what the league had to say to those officials. I'd guess the Panters made a call because they technically got screwed out of a possession. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Again, I could care less what happens on any other team.  And let's not sit here and pretend like you or I really know anything about what happened in New England.

Here's the fact....Joe Barry has sucked for a long time in the NFL.  This is not new.  Last year he sucked too.  He changed his way enough for us to win a few games and that kept his job.  And that was the wrong move.

The fact that he's still allowed to be in our coaches box, or on our sideline is an indication that there are different standards for our coaches than there is for our players.

Screw up as a player?  Find the bench.  

Set precedent that you are captain in your hometown, but when the HC forget where you are from, then it's an issue and you forfeit a game check and cannot play for a week.

But continue to absolutely stink as a DC?  Yup.  Continue to get your checks and have influence on the team.

Big time lack of stones.  At this point and time, MLF has compounded his mistake last season.  And that compounding may very well cost him one of his best defenders for the future.

I know Patricia, a defensive coach, was the OC! for a whole season under the GOAT coach. So Beli has no balls, according to you. Makes sense, avoid context stick to some bull****.

If Jaire just walks out there with the crew and chills, Id bet he's not suspended.

Jaire wasn't suspended for performance. Barry hasnt been suspended for performance, theyre in the same spot there.

Do you have the stats for how often a change of coordinator in season leads to Super Bowls? I bet theyre massively in favor of the sitting coordinator entering the season. Firing Barry isnt changing our trajectory this year, one or two game swing.

Entering the year, for sure I wouldve gone with a different DC, but lets not sit here and pretend like we know what the conversations were behind closed doors in GB.

Again. He has fired coaches, he has shown he HAZ STONEZtm.   Barry saved his job, you said so yourself, indeed a mistake but it was confirmation bias for MLF. He saw that the defensive design he wanted implemented works, so he went forward with it. Which got us to the season where the Packers historically have been very stable regarding hire/fire of coaches in season. Early in the season the defense was playing reasonably well enough to defend as not the main problem with the squad. Half way through this season I think it has been made clear to MLF that change is indeed required. Change for the sake of change isn't going to do anything for us at this juncture. 

Jaire is going nowhere. bet.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Doesn't matter if the rule is dumb or not. It's the rule and EVERY captain on NFL teams knows this. The officials did not have to give the Packers a break, they chose to. 

They could have easily said, "the Packers won the toss and elected to play defense. The Panters will have the choice to start the second half!" By the rules, this is what should have happened. It's not a gray area either. 

This isnt the first time this has happened. Not EVERY captain knows it.

It was the correct move to give the Packers a "break".

They could have, theyd have been very dumb to do so with no clarification. Its absolutely a gray area when the guy says we want the D out there. The correct reaction to that statement would be "So you want to defer?"

• Like 1

Just now, HighCalebR said:

This isnt the first time this has happened. Not EVERY captain knows it.

It was the correct move to give the Packers a "break".

They could have, theyd have been very dumb to do so with no clarification. Its absolutely a gray area when the guy says we want the D out there. The correct reaction to that statement would be "So you want to defer?"

You have two options: receive or defer. There is nothing in the rule book to allow officials to ignore, "rules HighCalebR, says are dumb."

It's not complicated whatsoever. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think Ja is the type to “learn” from this and I am guessing he’s probably traded in the offseason. If you can believe Wilde, there might be some discontent already over the guaranteed money in the contract he just signed. That, mixed with a lack of belief in the HC/DC, I’m not sure this is repairable. I guess I hope we can get a second round pick for him or something. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You have two options: receive or defer. There is nothing in the rule book to allow officials to ignore, "rules HighCalebR, says are dumb."

It's not complicated whatsoever. 

Right, so he didnt say one of the two options, which would lead to some follow up Q's, right?'

Quoting LaFleur. So you know this **** happens.

That was a big mistake,” Packers coach Matt LaFleur said of Alexander’s call. “That’s something that you review with the guys before they go out there every time about, ‘Hey, we win the toss, we’re going to defer.’ I went to the officials before the game, made sure they knew what we were going to do. We had an incident earlier this year where we had a similar situation, so always trying to be proactive in that approach.”

Edited by HighCalebR

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I know Patricia, a defensive coach, was the OC! for a whole season under the GOAT coach. So Beli has no balls, according to you. Makes sense, avoid context stick to some bull****.

If Jaire just walks out there with the crew and chills, Id bet he's not suspended.

Jaire wasn't suspended for performance. Barry hasnt been suspended for performance, theyre in the same spot there.

Do you have the stats for how often a change of coordinator in season leads to Super Bowls? I bet theyre massively in favor of the sitting coordinator entering the season. Firing Barry isnt changing our trajectory this year, one or two game swing.

Entering the year, for sure I wouldve gone with a different DC, but lets not sit here and pretend like we know what the conversations were behind closed doors in GB.

Again. He has fired coaches, he has shown he HAZ STONEZtm.   Barry saved his job, you said so yourself, indeed a mistake but it was confirmation bias for MLF. He saw that the defensive design he wanted implemented works, so he went forward with it. Which got us to the season where the Packers historically have been very stable regarding hire/fire of coaches in season. Early in the season the defense was playing reasonably well enough to defend as not the main problem with the squad. Half way through this season I think it has been made clear to MLF that change is indeed required. Change for the sake of change isn't going to do anything for us. 

what coaches has Lafleur fired, it took him two years to finally fire the ST's cord, and obviously Jerry Gray was scape goated rather then firing the real problem with the defense, and it's been reported that Lafleur over ruled and called 2 high man when Stokes was torched for that TD to end the PO game in 2020 over Pettine, Lafleur does a good job on offense, but lousy when it comes to defense, and Keeping Barry after last year is also a firing offense, not only do I doubt Alexander ever plays for Barry again, and he obviously has lost all respect for Matt Lafleur, why would Gute retain him

7 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think Ja is the type to “learn” from this and I am guessing he’s probably traded in the offseason. If you can believe Wilde, there might be some discontent already over the guaranteed money in the contract he just signed. That, mixed with a lack of belief in the HC/DC, I’m not sure this is repairable. I guess I hope we can get a second round pick for him or something. 

There is no more guaranteed money to be had for Ja. He's missed almost half the game since he signed his deal. The Packers should be asking for a refund at this point.

Trade his ***! Since he's from Carolina, trade him there for their #2. 

16 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Again. He has fired coaches, he has shown he HAZ STONEZtm.   Barry saved his job, you said so yourself, indeed a mistake but it was confirmation bias for MLF. He saw that the defensive design he wanted implemented works, so he went forward with it. Which got us to the season where the Packers historically have been very stable regarding hire/fire of coaches in season. Early in the season the defense was playing reasonably well enough to defend as not the main problem with the squad. Half way through this season I think it has been made clear to MLF that change is indeed required. Change for the sake of change isn't going to do anything for us at this juncture. 

You know next to nothing about what did or did not happen in New England.  Neither do I.

And again, I could care less what any other club does.  I care about the Packers and our HC screwed up last year concerning Barry and it is continuing to bite him in the butt.  

• Like 1