Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He has a use and a set of skills that are valuable

No, they're not valuable. The IDEA of what he MAYBE COULD have been contains "valuable" traits. He has a singular valuable trait: speed. But he's SO bad at being a football player that singular trait is no longer valuable.

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Apparently there are no role players on rosters anymore.  Just superstars and ******* bums.

I need a ******* drink.

It is confusing to me as to why we don't give Doubs a deep ball or two a game.  Because yes, that is very much missed when Watson isn't out there and he's hardly ever out there.

MVS would have value in that role.  True statement, he is a role player.

And he sucks compared to Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks and Heath.  That is also true.

No one here is clamoring for MVS to be on the roster.  True statement.

But...make it a ******* double.  Double.  For Sure!

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No, they're not valuable. The IDEA of what he MAYBE COULD have been contains "valuable" traits. He has a singular valuable trait: speed. But he's SO bad at being a football player that singular trait is no longer valuable.

Remember when we wondered if Rodgers really did make receivers look better?

I think we just found two cases of this happening.  Lazard and MVS.

Though I can't help but think that Lazard could be a nice piece on a team with an established #1 WR AND a competent QB.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Remember when we wondered if Rodgers really did make receivers look better?

I think we just found two cases of this happening.  Lazard and MVS.

Though I can't help but think that Lazard could be a nice piece on a team with an established #1 WR AND a competent QB.

He's playing with Mahomes. I don't think Rodgers has anything to do with MVS.

He's always been a role player. But not a valuable one. And now it's at the point where he probably won't play anymore at all he's so unproductive.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He's playing with Mahomes. I don't think Rodgers has anything to do with MVS.

He's always been a role player. But not a valuable one. And now it's at the point where he probably won't play anymore at all he's so unproductive.

Riiiigggghhhht.

MVS was better here than he has been in KC.  Despite playing with Mahomes and the very creative Andy Reid.

4 hours ago, pgwingman said:

So would you have him play of on his $17M cap hit next year?

If you could extend him, maybe his contract could go from $11M base salary next year to $14M of base salary over two years. Cap hits would be something like $13M in 2024 and $10M in 2025, with $4M dead in 2026

I'm not sure if I'd bite or not, but it's a thought I'd consider. 

Yeah I don't think you save enough cap space cutting him because I believe it accelerated the void years, because I believe each extra year he is less likely to live up to it. I think it's time to stop putting more on the books for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Was he?

He's always been bad. Here. There. Rodgers. Mahomes. 

His production says otherwise.

He did have 687 receiving yards last year, with a 16.4 yard average.  That isn't bad.  That's WR 3 range.  Nice WR 3.

He did lead the league in per reception average (20.9) in 2020 and have 6 TD's.  

In his first two seasons in GB he will have had more receiving yards than Christian Watson will have.  Course, 32 games versus 25 or 26.

And a larger per reception average.

• Like 2

For the money he's paid, MVS needs to be a solid #2. Instead he's a 3/4. He is a willing blocker which is nice but not really all that important. He's fast so a theoretical deep threat but he's got iffy hands and doesn't seem to make consistent reads and breaks. The bottom line is he will always seem disappointing because his level of play doesn't come close to living up to his size and speed.

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

His production says otherwise.

He did have 687 receiving yards last year, with a 16.4 yard average.  That isn't bad.  That's WR 3 range.  Nice WR 3.

He did lead the league in per reception average (20.9) in 2020 and have 6 TD's.  

In his first two seasons in GB he will have had more receiving yards than Christian Watson will have.  Course, 32 games versus 25 or 26.

And a larger per reception average.

I'm not particularly moved by bulk stats because they don't account for opportunity cost. 

My take is that MVS has been force fed more than he deserves because of his perceived upside. His track skills have resulted in more opportunity he probably deserved and racked up the production he did because of that. 

He'd legitimately be the #7 or 8 guy on our current roster in deserved targets/opportunities. 

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

My take is that MVS has been force fed more than he deserves because of his perceived upside. His track skills have resulted in more opportunity he probably deserved and racked up the production he did because of that. 

This sounds a lot like what also happened with Watson

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Watson has definitely showed a wider skillset, his issue is gonna be Hammy's more than lack of football ability.

I don't think they're similar players at all, actually.

I don't disagree, but there was a lot of "we need to stop forcing the ball to Watson" talk this year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't disagree, but there was a lot of "we need to stop forcing the ball to Watson" talk this year.

I was part of that for sure. Limited to certain routes, however. He did flash a couple games in a row before getting hurt again though, ugh. Gave me a flash of hope for him.

• Like 1